What's new

Home Intrusion - your #1 choice in firearms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
UPDATE

Maybe not exactly what I wanted but I think it was a good deal. Traded a S&W SD9VE 9mm for a Typhoon XII semi auto 12g. Now I gotta get some buckshot.

IMG_0563.jpeg
IMG_0562.jpeg

I’m just curious if a combat Push/Pull technique will work with a birdseye grip as it does with a full stock?

From experience, yes it will work, tho' not as well. Rhett's recoil strap is a modest, but dramatic, change in handling with the bird's head grip. He explains it as more of a push/clench technique, whereby you push forward as you normally would, but essentially use a bicep-flexion to lock the firing arm. The strap, along with your wrist and elbow, "sag" into the recoil, compressing the forearm and bicep, which promptly flex back, damping a good bit of the recoil. His doubles are incredible with the setup because it is creating a pseudo-inertial drive for the pump. I suspect one of the Winchester SLXs would be hell on wheels, run this way.

Edited yet again to add: My experience is taking a less circumferential grip on the BH and clamping firmly from below with fingers, and down on the grip ridge with the thumb.

The best setup is dictated by your stature & flexibility to some degree (I say this without having taken a class and garnering as much as I can by watching every vid I can find and reading his articles, then applying myself). Many folks just plug on the XS Big Dot and roll with it, some are using RDs with high/low, mid-rail/full-forward mountings. If I were to grind a groove in the grip, for my right palm, I might be able to get the high-chest mount someone on Pistol Forums talked about, but I can't get much less than 90 degrees of incline with my wrist in compression. The less incline, the more chicken-wing you have to employ, which depending on your lat development may or may not cost some stability.

I'm really tempted to mount a bird's head on a retro-fitted Stoeger M2000 that has a 500 stock adapter. I can double like a crazy critter with it as is, and it is undoubtedly faster than the pump, but it's also been 30 years since I ran a pump, so... Time to do my diligence.

Last edited:
Depends on how close the neighbors are and how good you are under stress.

A shotgun is not a magic talisman. The wielder still needs to hit the target. What tye shotgun does exceptional well is send simultaneous bursts of pellets down range. With devastating results. An important feature when deployed in a space you do not want to retreat from.

Me, I use 380 and 38. Neighbors are close.

Depends on how close the neighbors are and how good you are under stress.

A shotgun is not a magic talisman. The wielder still needs to hit the target. What tye shotgun does exceptional well is send simultaneous bursts of pellets down range. With devastating results. An important feature when deployed in a space you do not want to retreat from.

Me, I use 380 and 38. Neighbors are close.
"The poor man's subgun."

No firearm is a talisman, panacea, or charm. Its effectiveness is only as good as the ability and mental discipline of the person holding it.
Far too much media hype and urban
myth have sullied the proper perspective people should have when trying to decide what (if any) is the correct ordnance to use in a defensive situation.
These are all I really need to keep the casa secure.
IMG_5199.jpeg

IMG_5148.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, Winchester Model 12 with 28" vent rib...2 and 3/4" rifled slugs in the magazine. Also a Glock 19 for good measure. Know a dude that keeps a Winchester Model 70, .458 magnum rifle near his bed. I think that would provide adequate stopping power.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I have a factory Remington 870 Tac 14 barrel on its way to me. I’m curious to see if there’s a noticeable difference in the pattern of the 14 inch barrel vs the 18 inch at inside the home distances. I’ll have to put on a pistol grip for testing, but if I like what I see I’ll pay the taxes and apply for the SBS permit. I don’t think a SBS is the perfect home defense gun, but it will be a good arrow to have in the quiver.

I have a factory Remington 870 Tac 14 barrel on its way to me. I’m curious to see if there’s a noticeable difference in the pattern of the 14 inch barrel vs the 18 inch at inside the home distances. I’ll have to put on a pistol grip for testing, but if I like what I see I’ll pay the taxes and apply for the SBS permit. I don’t think a SBS is the perfect home defense gun, but it will be a good arrow to have in the quiver.

...which would be a felony.

David

...which would be a felony.
How’s that? If I test with a pistol grip at 26 inches overall length, then acquire a SBS permit? What part of that is a felony? Maybe I misread the regs.

Last edited:
Why not just buy a Shockwave or something similar? Probably as cheap or cheaper than jumping through all the permit hoops…less hassle for sure.

David

Why not just buy a Shockwave or something similar? Probably as cheap or cheaper than jumping through all the permit hoops…less hassle for sure.
True. But I’ve already got an 870 that is tricked out that I love. From my understanding it’s not a hassle at all, just send some money and wait. Plus I think having a stock would make the gun much more usable.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
How’s that? If I test with a pistol grip at 26 inches overall length, then acquire a SBS permit? What part of that is a felony? Maybe I misread the regs.
The rules on this are kind of murky but if i think it has to do with converting a “regular” shotgun into a SBS. As soon as you do it without the stamp it’s a felony, even its just to test it in that configuration. Kind of like when you fill out the paperwork for a SBR stamp, the length is (supposed to be) an estimate because you don’t have the rifle built yet. ;)

David

As soon as you do it without the stamp it’s a felony, even its just to test it in that configuration.
10-4. I knew that, but I thought by putting the Tac 14 pistol grip on it first that would make it legal for the 14 inch barrel. Murky rules for sure on these SBS’s and SBR’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom