What's new

Home Intrusion - your #1 choice in firearms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
That would require some serious remodeling of the house if you ever used it for HD!

Interesting scenario, both of them. It also assumes you have your shotgun at the ready. Speaking of, I recently purchased two shotguns. The first is a Benelli M4 clone. I bought the Panzer from Classic Firearms when they dropped the price to $399. How could I say no? This Benelli clone like the original M4 has the Argo gas system and let me tell you if you have it loaded with 5 rounds in the tube and pull the trigger 5 times in quick succession, if you have any experience firing shotguns (I shot skeet at Boca Chica NAS back in the mid 80’s) if this is your first time firing this shotgun (not necessarily in a home defense situation), you’re not going to believe how fast those 5 shells go through that shotgun. The other shotgun I purchased recently is Rock Island’s VR 80. The big difference between the two, the VR80 is mag fed and they’re both sitting in my gun safe so neither one would be used in the OP’s proposed situation. That said I do have a Chinese Saiga clone currently not kept in the safe (a mag fed shotgun) and although in an undisclosed room in my house, I don’t keep it loaded as that IMO is a dangerous proposition. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the Saiga 12 gauge shotgun, if you train the way I do I would never have this shotgun live fire ready. Why? The Saiga (or my Lynx 12 Saiga Clone), like the AK47 it was adopted from, it’s a precarious proposition having a loaded magazine in battery due to the size of a 12 gauge round, it’s too easy for that round in the magazine to unintentionally chamber hence it’s not a good home defense shotgun so like many others in this thread, I have smaller firearms at the ready for either things that go bump in the night or the very real scenario of someone busting through my front door while I watch CPD re-runs on our television

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Yes, I get the fact a pump shotgun has a lot of intimidation factor going for it. And it certainly will dispatch with a Bad Guy. But I'm not a big fan of long guns inside places like my condo; too long, two hands needed to operate it and pretty sizeable recoil too.
AR's have a lot of the same issues, minus the recoil, plus being unbearably LOUD. With a suppressor, sure. Without, I'll choose something else ... which in my case is either a Glock 19 or a Canik TP9SF stuffed chock full of angry little 9mm's. In the winter, I change my bedside gun to a 10-round .45 ACP Ruger. All of them are totally reliable, have lots of rounds and are maneuverable. Anybody who would enter my domicile isn't going to know the layout as well as I do, so I want the ability to move behind cover and not be clanking the barrel into a door jam or something.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yes, I get the fact a pump shotgun has a lot of intimidation factor going for it. And it certainly will dispatch with a Bad Guy. But I'm not a big fan of long guns inside places like my condo; too long, two hands needed to operate it and pretty sizeable recoil too.
AR's have a lot of the same issues, minus the recoil, plus being unbearably LOUD. With a suppressor, sure. Without, I'll choose something else ... which in my case is either a Glock 19 or a Canik TP9SF stuffed chock full of angry little 9mm's. In the winter, I change my bedside gun to a 10-round .45 ACP Ruger. All of them are totally reliable, have lots of rounds and are maneuverable. Anybody who would enter my domicile isn't going to know the layout as well as I do, so I want the ability to move behind cover and not be clanking the barrel into a door jam or something.

I’m most likely going to get me a Canik one day, to go along with my G19 also. That Canik trigger is just too good out of the box to not get one for the price. :)

I’m most likely going to get me a Canik one day, to go along with my G19 also. That Canik trigger is just too good out of the box to not get one for the price. :)
It's outstanding!
I've owned a zillion guns and there's no question the Canik's quality is right up there with any of the polymer-framed guns, including Glock. The trigger is far superior and the build quality is amazing for any price, let alone their price point. I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It's outstanding!
I've owned a zillion guns and there's no question the Canik's quality is right up there with any of the polymer-framed guns, including Glock. The trigger is far superior and the build quality is amazing for any price, let alone their price point. I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

You’ve convinced me. :)

You’ve convinced me. :)
You won't regret it.
They have a ton of different models now, ranging from race guns to micro compacts. Mine, the TP9SF is full size, 18-round magazine, excellent sights and, yeah, it's got a cool FDE Cerakote finish.

proxy.php

Late to the party-Mission drives the gear.

Given where I live, old house/plaster walls, hard wood floors etc., If I was waiting for an intruder to come to me, I would use a shotgun. My longest shot is 50 ish feet which is 8 inch max of spread with my Mossberg 500 and 8 pellet FliteControl Federal Buck (LE version).

If I was clearing my house, an RDS equipped Glock in 9 or .40 with a WML.

If I lived on a parcel of land and had to go outside to deal w an issue, an RDS/WML equipped AR.

First line of home defense...multi faceted. A few options are immediately available to be deployed from the get-go.

IMG_4638.jpeg

Sig Sauer P220-.45 w/230 gr. Gold Dot
IMG_2687.jpeg

Benelli M2-12 gauge w/#4 buckshot
IMG_5013.jpeg

Mossberg Maverick 88-12 gauge w/slugs (this is the set up for bears...we have more than a few here in the mountains)

IMG_1013.jpeg

Glock 19 Gen. 5-w/9mm+P 135 gr. Hornady Critical Duty

I have a 38 special revolver in the nightstand. I’d grab it and kill the intruder. PA is a Castle Doctrine state and I wouldn’t hesitate to use lethal force against anyone dangerous enough to enter an occupied home at night.
A revolver is best because it can lay in a drawer for 20 years and shoot with certainty. A semi can not be counted on in that scenario.

That's a tough one. For my house there are lots of rooms and kids and dogs. I would call 911 first, and
I have a 38 special revolver in the nightstand. I’d grab it and kill the intruder. PA is a Castle Doctrine state and I wouldn’t hesitate to use lethal force against anyone dangerous enough to enter an occupied home at night.
A revolver is best because it can lay in a drawer for 20 years and shoot with certainty. A semi can not be counted on in that scenario.
Me too. I have owned many guns, and the 38 special is my go to.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

That's a tough one. For my house there are lots of rooms and kids and dogs. I would call 911 first, and

Me too. I have owned many guns, and the 38 special is my go to.

There's a lot to be said for the old wheel gun. It's more than likely what I'm carrying, even though I have several quality semi-autos.

There's a lot to be said for the old wheel gun. It's more than likely what I'm carrying, even though I have several quality semi-autos.

I'm a big fan of Mas and Grant Cunningham. I have no problems with semi-auto's but love wheel guns.

Let's not forget the Beretta 92 and 96. Great firearms and very reliable. I like the long DA pull for a night stand gun, too.

I'm a fan of the .410 club. Taurus The Judge, Stevens double pistol grip shotgun.
Everybody wants more power. Well, until the bullet hits your neighbor 2 houses away.
In the movie Looper, they talked about the gun being deadly at 15 ft, and useless at anything more.
That's my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom