What's new

Home Intrusion - your #1 choice in firearms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The scenario is this - you wake up in the middle of the night to a noise. You realize someone is in your home. You grab your home defense shotgun. The rest plays out unknown to you.

Or..the scenario is this - you are relaxing watching TV, or cooking dinner, or doing 100 other things when you realize…someone is breaking in to my home! You run and grab your home defense shotgun. The rest plays out unknown to you.

So my question here is ….. why is a shotgun the best home defense weapon?

I’ve seen a lot of threads and videos (youtube) about why a shotgun would be the best in these home intruder scenarios. Primarily because of the spray field of the ammo. BOOM! It sprays and you don’t have to aim. Small pellets go everywhere, they don’t travel far considering they are all indoors. No worry about hitting your neighbor next door. Boom boom spray and pray. Intruder gets hit and runs away in pain and bleeding or drops there and case solved.

BUT, is it the best?? Does it depend on how proficient you are with firearms?? For example

if you are a trained firearms professional would a…..45 with a red dot serve you better? Or some sort of AR decked out to the 9’s with a flashlight and laser beam?

Is a shotgun the most recommended self defense weapon because 99% of people faced in these home intruder situations are not properly trained in how to handle firearms? Or at the very least not trained in self defense situations?

What say you?? If you were freaking rambo..or Jack Reacher….would a shotgun be your #1 choice in self defense?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I’m still waiting on my first shotgun…

At the ranges shot in a home the shot doesn’t spray very much at all. I did a bunch of research on this lol. #6 birdshot at 5 yards is less than a fist sized spread, and vaporizes meat, breaks ribs, perforates lungs, and passes barely through 2 walls.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have a 16 guage bolt action and a single shot .410, but because both are essentially single shot they don’t seem like the best choice for defense.

But…is a shotgun?? IDK. I can throw a light and a laser on my AR and be ready to fire in seconds.

I can do the same to my 9mm (although sure it might take a few rounds who knows). My guess is just the sound of BANG BANGS would be enough to scare anyone off, but…why take the chance.

So maybe a 1911 chambered in .45 is the way to go.

I don’t deny I can be more proficient with a firearm but I also don’t think if push comes to shove I can’t hit the target when needed.

So is a home defense shotgun really the best weapon??? It does have some bulk, there are places you can’t hide it, like…be hard to grab it from under your pillow or in your bedside dresser drawer.

I suppose some of you are thinking…that’s why you have multiple weapons at the ready…

I have a 16 guage bolt action and a single shot .410, but because both are essentially single shot they don’t seem like the best choice for defense.

But…is a shotgun?? IDK. I can throw a light and a laser on my AR and be ready to fire in seconds.

I can do the same to my 9mm (although sure it might take a few rounds who knows). My guess is just the sound of BANG BANGS would be enough to scare anyone off, but…why take the chance.

So maybe a 1911 chambered in .45 is the way to go.

I don’t deny I can be more proficient with a firearm but I also don’t think if push comes to shove I can’t hit the target when needed.

So is a home defense shotgun really the best weapon??? It does have some bulk, there are places you can’t hide it, like…be hard to grab it from under your pillow or in your bedside dresser drawer.

I suppose some of you are thinking…that’s why you have multiple weapons at the ready…
LOL I also have a bolt action 16ga and a 410 break action single shot. Ill stick to my M9 for a home defense weapon. But to each their own.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Where I’m at over penetration is a huge concern. Stopping power + low penetration = shotgun. At least what my research has lead me to. Might have to hit the intruder a couple times with birdshot where a slug might stop him in one, but such are the limitations I have. TBO though at the point I’m pulling the trigger it’s a life or death situation so maybe I’m worried too much. At the same time I would hate to be alive at the expense of shooting my kids or the neighbors. It’s a hard question for me.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The scenario is this - you wake up in the middle of the night to a noise. You realize someone is in your home. You grab your home defense shotgun. The rest plays out unknown to you.

Or..the scenario is this - you are relaxing watching TV, or cooking dinner, or doing 100 other things when you realize…someone is breaking in to my home! You run and grab your home defense shotgun. The rest plays out unknown to you.

So my question here is ….. why is a shotgun the best home defense weapon?

I’ve seen a lot of threads and videos (youtube) about why a shotgun would be the best in these home intruder scenarios. Primarily because of the spray field of the ammo. BOOM! It sprays and you don’t have to aim. Small pellets go everywhere, they don’t travel far considering they are all indoors. No worry about hitting your neighbor next door. Boom boom spray and pray. Intruder gets hit and runs away in pain and bleeding or drops there and case solved.

BUT, is it the best?? Does it depend on how proficient you are with firearms?? For example

if you are a trained firearms professional would a…..45 with a red dot serve you better? Or some sort of AR decked out to the 9’s with a flashlight and laser beam?

Is a shotgun the most recommended self defense weapon because 99% of people faced in these home intruder situations are not properly trained in how to handle firearms? Or at the very least not trained in self defense situations?

What say you?? If you were freaking rambo..or Jack Reacher….would a shotgun be your #1 choice in self defense?

A shotgun isn't necessarily the best home defense weapon. But a semi auto pistol, revolver or AR-15 isn't either? What you are asking is pretty complex; which makes the answer complex also. There isn't a single simple answer, because there are pro's & con's of all these type of weapons when it comes to pairing the right one for people who also come, in all shapes & sizes? They come in all age brackets? Some are weak, some are strong. Some are very experienced and some have hardly no experience at all.

And what makes this even more complex? Some, who go out and purchase the first firearm the gun store clerk suggests to them, why? Because he works behind the counter of Academy Sports, he must know what he's talking about? Nevermind he's an 18 year old high school senior? :)

Then they take that firearm that was suggested to them, they go to the range, one time and only one time, put a box of ammo thru it, take it home; stick it in their nightstand to never see the light of day again; until the boogeyman kicks their door in at 2 am. But if you asked them their preferred HD weapon? They will tell you it's the one they have of course? Even though they know absolutely nothing about it, they actually believe they do and they are totally ready and prepared for whatever comes thru their door.

Answers to your OP will all be different to the extreme, because all people can be different to the extreme. The variables are endless? If your question only refers to our own person? Then my answer would be all or any of them. Why? Because personally, I'm a badass when it comes to all types of firearms and the tactics of use for those differing firearms? I would be comfortable in the surroundings and trained in the tactics necessary; and confident with all of those firearms. If I'm not? Then I'm just like those foolish people I just mentioned above and still really think that I am when I'm actually not. :)

But one doesn't have to be a combat expert to be comfortable and know their own home and layout; or knowledgeable and confident with a favorite self defense firearm. Let's take the 12 gauge shotgun for example.

Shotguns

It's sheer power and velocity is what makes it famous as a self defense man stopper, but that can be a good thing and a bad thing? It'll drop the boom on a man and is capable of instantly knocking his pecker in the dirt for sure. But at what cost?

For you? Me? Maybe nothing. We are men and with a bit of knowledge and training, we can get behind and aggressively work a 12G shotgun. Our wives? Maybe not? Even if they could learn, how effective would they really be? Combat effective? Other smaller, weaker, elderly people? A shotgun is heavy, cumbersome; and takes two hands? Do you want your wife trying to hold onto a shotgun while also trying to open bedroom doors and get the kids to safety? or hold the shotgun while she is also trying to call the police on her cell phone? Maybe not? Even if my wife, locked herself in the bedroom and sat down behind the bed with the shotgun pointing at a locked door? Do I want her trying to work the action of a pump shotgun while she is in a sitting position behind the bed? Not really, no.

Home invasions rarely happen with just one perpetrator. Why not? Because they are cowards at heart; and thieves, rapists and cowards love company when they commit their acts of crime. So expect multiple invaders if or when it does happen. Expect it, I'm tellin ya. A shotgun is a powerful force multiplier against multiple adversaries. In your hands or mine it's an awesome self defense tool, because we can handle and control that power, especially from a fortified position of self defense. But it's definitely not for everyone.

Revolver

Everyone says, get the woman a revolver, because they are very reliable and easy and simple to operate just by pulling the trigger. Bull crap. A person shooting a revolver needs to be knowledgeable and trained if they think they are just going to pick it up and be accurate with it. My Glock semi-auto makes me look more accurate then I really am. But you actually have to know how to shoot and know how to be accurate when shooting a revolver. That revolver also only holds 5 or 6 rounds. Loading a revolver quickly and efficiently is very difficult and takes training in calm circumstances? How much more training would be needed for your wife not to flub a complex revolver reload during an home invasion?

Semi Auto Pistol

You or me? With a high capacity modern wonder 9 and an extra magazine in our pocket? Oh yeah, you can open doors because both hands are not tied up holding the gun you could pick up the baby from the crib and carry them to safety, use the phone to call 911? The pistol is very short, light and it's ability to maneuver around corners and doorways is second to none. You can also drop multiple hollow point rounds into a 6 inch pie plate pretty fast and easy in 7 yards with just a bit of range training. Any of your hallways or rooms longer or wider than 7 yards? Yes? Nice house my guy... :)

How about our wives? My wife can handle, shoot and manage the recoil of the Glock 19 she keeps on her nightstand quite nicely. :) her side of the bed is farthest from the bedroom door which still, maybe isn't 5 yards? 5 yards is nothing for the inherent accuracy of a Glock 19. She can drop down on her knees on her side of the bed point her gun at the door and call and wait on the police to show up. I have trained her well to be confident and take full advantage of that inherent accuracy with the G19 and it's 15 round magazine. :)

AR-15

Like the shotgun, it's pro's can be alot of lead and power downrange quickly. It's cons are the same as a shotgun. Muzzle blast and percussion can be absolutely disorienting inside a dwelling. Like a flashbang disorienting. Even if you can handle that noise, can your wife if she's using it? If she can? with just a bit of training on operation & nomenclature, it's easy to charge a round by pulling the charging handle, flip it off safety with the thumb and while the possibility of having to reload is always there with other guns, the 30 round magazine makes the possibility of not having to reload even rarer. It's a .22 bullet. your wife can shoot it and elderly people can shoot it except for the very frail. It's a viable alternative if they are going to hunker down in the bedroom and wait on the police. But if they have to move around the house? Not so much.

So it's not necessarily what weapon is the best. It's more about, which one is best for which kind of person in what kind of defensive action are they taking? You and me going to the location where the bump in the night came from? Does it sound like the quiet noise of a single perpetrator, trying to quietly cut a window screen to enter your house? grab your pistol or shotgun and go investigate? Are you gone on a trip and your wife is home alone and she suddenly hears multiple people pounding and attempting to kick in the back door? Let her train to lock herself down in the bedroom, get 911 on the phone and rack the AR-15 with the 30 round magazine of 62 grain hollowpoint boat tails and flip the safety off and wait for the police. If the bedroom door flies open and the fatal funnel of that doorway is backlighting their silhouettes? Will be their end when she starts pulling that trigger.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
A shotgun isn't necessarily the best home defense weapon. But a semi auto pistol, revolver or AR-15 isn't either? What you are asking is pretty complex; which makes the answer complex also. There isn't a single simple answer, because there are pro's & con's of all these type of weapons when it comes to pairing the right one for people who also come, in all shapes & sizes? They come in all age brackets? Some are weak, some are strong. Some are very experienced and some have hardly no experience at all.

And what makes this even more complex? Some, who go out and purchase the first firearm the gun store clerk suggests to them, why? Because he works behind the counter of Academy Sports, he must know what he's talking about? Nevermind he's an 18 year old high school senior? :)

Then they take that firearm that was suggested to them, they go to the range, one time and only one time, put a box of ammo thru it, take it home; stick it in their nightstand to never see the light of day again; until the boogeyman kicks their door in at 2 am. But if you asked them their preferred HD weapon? They will tell you it's the one they have of course? Even though they know absolutely nothing about it, they actually believe they do and they are totally ready and prepared for whatever comes thru their door.

Answers to your OP will all be different to the extreme, because all people can be different to the extreme. The variables are endless? If your question only refers to our own person? Then my answer would be all or any of them. Why? Because personally, I'm a badass when it comes to all types of firearms and the tactics of use for those differing firearms? I would be comfortable in the surroundings and trained in the tactics necessary; and confident with all of those firearms. If I'm not? Then I'm just like those foolish people I just mentioned above and still really think that I am when I'm actually not. :)

But one doesn't have to be a combat expert to be comfortable and know their own home and layout; or knowledgeable and confident with a favorite self defense firearm. Let's take the 12 gauge shotgun for example.

Shotguns

It's sheer power and velocity is what makes it famous as a self defense man stopper, but that can be a good thing and a bad thing? It'll drop the boom on a man and is capable of instantly knocking his pecker in the dirt for sure. But at what cost?

For you? Me? Maybe nothing. We are men and with a bit of knowledge and training, we can get behind and aggressively work a 12G shotgun. Our wives? Maybe not? Even if they could learn, how effective would they really be? Combat effective? Other smaller, weaker, elderly people? A shotgun is heavy, cumbersome; and takes two hands? Do you want your wife trying to hold onto a shotgun while also trying to open bedroom doors and get the kids to safety? or hold the shotgun while she is also trying to call the police on her cell phone? Maybe not? Even if my wife, locked herself in the bedroom and sat down behind the bed with the shotgun pointing at a locked door? Do I want her trying to work the action of a pump shotgun while she is in a sitting position behind the bed? Not really, no.

Home invasions rarely happen with just one perpetrator. Why not? Because they are cowards at heart; and thieves, rapists and cowards love company when they commit their acts of crime. So expect multiple invaders if or when it does happen. Expect it, I'm tellin ya. A shotgun is a powerful force multiplier against multiple adversaries. In your hands or mine it's an awesome self defense tool, because we can handle and control that power, especially from a fortified position of self defense. But it's definitely not for everyone.

Revolver

Everyone says, get the woman a revolver, because they are very reliable and easy and simple to operate just by pulling the trigger. Bull crap. A person shooting a revolver needs to be knowledgeable and trained if they think they are just going to pick it up and be accurate with it. My Glock semi-auto makes me look more accurate then I really am. But you actually have to know how to shoot and know how to be accurate when shooting a revolver. That revolver also only holds 5 or 6 rounds. Loading a revolver quickly and efficiently is very difficult and takes training in calm circumstances? How much more training would be needed for your wife not to flub a complex revolver reload during an home invasion?

Semi Auto Pistol

You or me? With a high capacity modern wonder 9 and an extra magazine in our pocket? Oh yeah, you can open doors because both hands are not tied up holding the gun you could pick up the baby from the crib and carry them to safety, use the phone to call 911? The pistol is very short, light and it's ability to maneuver around corners and doorways is second to none. You can also drop multiple hollow point rounds into a 6 inch pie plate pretty fast and easy in 7 yards with just a bit of range training. Any of your hallways or rooms longer or wider than 7 yards? Yes? Nice house my guy... :)

How about our wives? My wife can handle, shoot and manage the recoil of the Glock 19 she keeps on her nightstand quite nicely. :) her side of the bed is farthest from the bedroom door which still, maybe isn't 5 yards? 5 yards is nothing for the inherent accuracy of a Glock 19. She can drop down on her knees on her side of the bed point her gun at the door and call and wait on the police to show up. I have trained her well to be confident and take full advantage of that inherent accuracy with the G19 and it's 15 round magazine. :)

AR-15

Like the shotgun, it's pro's can be alot of lead and power downrange quickly. It's cons are the same as a shotgun. Muzzle blast and percussion can be absolutely disorienting inside a dwelling. Like a flashbang disorienting. Even if you can handle that noise, can your wife if she's using it? If she can? with just a bit of training on operation & nomenclature, it's easy to charge a round by pulling the charging handle, flip it off safety with the thumb and while the possibility of having to reload is always there with other guns, the 30 round magazine makes the possibility of not having to reload even rarer. It's a .22 bullet. your wife can shoot it and elderly people can shoot it except for the very frail. It's a viable alternative if they are going to hunker down in the bedroom and wait on the police. But if they have to move around the house? Not so much.

So it's not necessarily what weapon is the best. It's more about, which one is best for which kind of person in what kind of defensive action are they taking? You and me going to the location where the bump in the night came from? Doesn't sound like the quiet noise of a single perpetrator, trying to quietly cut a window screen to enter your house? grab your pistol or shotgun and go investigate? Are you gone on a trip and your wife is home alone and she suddenly hears multiple people pounding and attempting to kick in the back door? Let her train to lock herself down in the bedroom, get 911 on the phone and rack the AR-15 with the 30 round magazine of 62 grain hollowpoint boat tails and flip the safety off and wait for the police. If the bedroom door flies open and the fatal funnel of that doorway is backlighting their silhouettes? Will be their end when she starts pulling that trigger.

Ever thought I’d starting a YouTube channel? Something like Paul Harrell? You have great insight and a matter of fact/no BS delivery. You could wear a baclava and be anonymous even.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Where I’m at over penetration is a huge concern. Stopping power + low penetration = shotgun. At least what my research has lead me to. Might have to hit the intruder a couple times with birdshot where a slug might stop him in one, but such are the limitations I have. TBO though at the point I’m pulling the trigger it’s a life or death situation so maybe I’m worried too much. At the same time I would hate to be alive at the expense of shooting my kids or the neighbors. It’s a hard question for me.

I understand perfectly. But the answer to the question you seek isn't about the type, or style of weapon you choose or the caliber or type of ammunition it uses. all of these above can be solved from the answers to questions on tactics used, not weapons used. Run whatever you brung. But run it with the specific tactics for it.

Know your surroundings. Know the layout of your home. Know ahead of time the layout of your neighbors homes and how it coincides and relation to the walls of your home. Know the safe lanes of fire and know the no shoot zones. Think like the boogeyman. Where is he most likely to gain entry? where would he most likely travel to first once inside or if he gets inside your home

Ask yourself these questions.

1. Is there a firewall between you and your neighbors? firewalls can stop rounds.

2. where do your fire lanes start & stop? The front foyer to your front door is a fire lane. The back patio sliding glass door is a firelane. Is it a two story townhome? The top of the stairs pointing downward is a fire lane. If you were forced to shoot an armed invader and had no choice but to shoot them where friendlies or loved ones are on the other side of the wall? you can't just not shoot and let him kill you? But you also can't endanger your loved ones sleeping on the other side of that wall correct?

So think outside the box. They are lying down sleeping on the other side, right? The boogeyman is standing on your side of the wall right? Drop down to one knee and fire angeling upwards towards the boogeyman. Any missed rounds goes high towards the ceiling. Where there is a will AND tactics? There is a way my friend. :)

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My closest neighbor is 100 yds through the woods, so over penetration is not a major concern. I'm grabbing what ever weapon is closest if I'm not already armed. In most cases a pistol of some description is most readily available. If I'm in the living room. there's an AR in the adjacent room's closet, loaded mag inserted, chamber empty. Upstairs master bedroom has cruiser ready shotgun, various rifles that would take a moment to access and load, easily accessed and already loaded hand guns. Chances are a handgun would be used if time was of the essence. Wife is not a gun person although she can fire a revolver if her arthritic hands will allow her. Her bedside table has a 4in. revolver loaded.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Long, long ago in a land far far away, we built one of the first homes in a new subdivision. It was isolated; with no other homes in sight or nearby, with a pond on one side with its resident alligator and a constant presence as an egret waded along the edge searching for small fish.

The subdivision was on a small island in the middle of the marshes with the river on one side of the island and a small tidal stream and marsh separating the hummock from the mainland. It was a quiet and peaceful place far from any city lights and the house sat way back from the road between the marsh and the pond, hidden from the road by the surrounding pines.

It was the season for afternoon and evening thunder storms and the quiet of the night was interrupted by the almost continuous booming and the flash of lightning, rain pouring down and the pine trees creaking as they swayed in the wind with the occasional crack and crash as an upper limb broke away and fell to the ground.

We had just gone to bed that night when we heard it, someone or something beating rhythmically against the front door either with their fist or some muffled object, a deep and repeated thump, not hard like a club or branch, not hard like the butt of a rifle, but regular and persistent.

Since the house was so isolated I had added a switch in the master bedroom for the outside flood light during construction and so immediately turned them all on, but the sound continued, bump, bump .. bump bump .. bump, bump...bump...

I threw on my robe, picked up the pistol from the nightstand and the flashlight, and went to the front door. Peaking out the windows beside the door I saw nothing, yet the sound continued, bump, bump .. bump bump .. bump, bump...bump...

With the gun in my right hand I opened the front door with my left to find ...

a five ninth scale Newfoundland sitting on my stoop, soaking wet, his tail beating rhythmically against the door frame.

As soon as the door opened he turned about, looked up at me and then walked in and curled up on the rug in the living room and went to sleep.

We awoke the next morning to the sound of his tail beating on the bedroom door. As soon as I opened the bedroom door he turned and walked down the hall to the front door, and I let him out. He stayed around the house all day showing no desire to leave and we figured he was simply a stray. We took some pictures of him and asked at the other houses on the island as well as on the road leading in from the mainland, but no one said that they new who's dog he was.

We took him to our vet, got him a checkup, found he was in good health and so "Buck" joined our family.

About two weeks later he disappeared.

We searched and after a couple days spotted him playing with a little kid. When we asked where he found "Buck" he told us the dogs name was "Jupiter" and was his dog. His parents said they had gone on vacation and left "Buck/Jupiter" with a friend but when they got home the friend said "Buck/Jupiter" had run away.

We told them about "Buck's night time appearance" and they thanked us for watching out for him.

After that, about every month or so, "Buck/Jupiter" would show up at our house. At first we called the owners and they would come get him but within an hour or so he would be back.

Eventually we all decided that he just wanted a change and so for several years he would show up, we'd call them so they would know he was okay and he'd stay with us for a week or so then leave.

Some years later we bought another house and moved.

I always wondered if the new folk in our house too heard that bump in the night and how they reacted to it.

Handgun, for most of the reasons listed above. In general, I have no need to go outside & investigate. Our home is ~13 feet off the ground, so anything outside (on the ground) is going to be well aware of me before I see them & I would be at a substantial disadvantage.

Our doors are reinforced, so anything that was really persistent attempting to force entry is going to give me time to put my glasses on, decide how assertive I feel, and choose my tool. Simply so as not to be plywooding up a door at 0200, it would probably be a rifle, aimed about 6" up and to the right of the doorknob.

I'm not fond of rifle calibers indoors. Shotguns tear stuff up. Handguns are a reasonable midrange.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Shotguns

Revolver

Semi Auto Pistol

AR-15

So it's not necessarily what weapon is the best. It's more about, which one is best for which kind of person in what kind of defensive action are they taking? You and me going to the location where the bump in the night came from? Does it sound like the quiet noise of a single perpetrator, trying to quietly cut a window screen to enter your house? grab your pistol or shotgun and go investigate? Are you gone on a trip and your wife is home alone and she suddenly hears multiple people pounding and attempting to kick in the back door? Let her train to lock herself down in the bedroom, get 911 on the phone and rack the AR-15 with the 30 round magazine of 62 grain hollowpoint boat tails and flip the safety off and wait for the police. If the bedroom door flies open and the fatal funnel of that doorway is backlighting their silhouettes? Will be their end when she starts pulling that trigger.
👍 That was one of the most well-considered responses to a complex question ever... Should be a sticky!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If I wake up in the middle of the night and think that something might be going on, I'll grab my pistol and flashlight. If I wake up in the middle of the night and know that something's going on, I'm grabbing my AR.
In all things, a measured response.

Interesting. I consider risk when choosing what to carry that day/mission, but had adopted "one size fits all" when considering home defense. Going to recalculate...

AA

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

Shotguns

Revolver

Semi Auto Pistol

AR-15

My mother wanted a gun because where she goes fishing someone said they sighted bear. So I took her to the gun store and she held a bunch and settled on a revolver. Not one that would stop a bear mind you, just one that she liked. Back at home and with the gun empty I told her “hold it like you are going to shoot it”. She puts one hand on the grip and the other completely around the cylinder. I said “you think your hands are in a good spot?” She’s like “yeah, it feels good”. I said “well you just lost most of your fingers and now the bear is really hungry smelling all the blood”. We put the gun back in the case and I took it until she gets some training :lol:. Which she has since showed zero interest in.

Someone like my mom would simply be a victim in a home invasion. Sad but true.

I get what you are saying - any home defense weapon is useless if you don’t know how to use it or can’t handle it.

Handgun, for most of the reasons listed above. In general, I have no need to go outside & investigate. Our home is ~13 feet off the ground, so anything outside (on the ground) is going to be well aware of me before I see them & I would be at a substantial disadvantage.

Our doors are reinforced, so anything that was really persistent attempting to force entry is going to give me time to put my glasses on, decide how assertive I feel, and choose my tool. Simply so as not to be plywooding up a door at 0200, it would probably be a rifle, aimed about 6" up and to the right of the doorknob.

I'm not fond of rifle calibers indoors. Shotguns tear stuff up. Handguns are a reasonable midrange.

high ground GIF

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My Mom carries a 380. But that’s another story for another day. Me? I prefer a shotgun for home defense. I have an 870 DM Tactical with 6 round magazines. Four mags stashed strategically in the domicile. Doubles as a club/ baseball bat when non-lethal, close range is more appropriate. I keep my primary mag loaded with 2 non-lethal rounds, 2 home defense shot rounds, and two home defense slugs in case I get a stubborn assailant that won’t go down or run away. Other mags are all buckshot and slugs. It’ll do the trick. If stuff gets ugly I have a couple of 9’s and 357’s handy.

Another unpopular school of thought I have in my mind is having a couple of 22’s for home defense. In my opinion i find it to be a good home defense option. I can hit Lincoln’s hair on a penny at 20 feet, and do it repeatedly and quickly until the mag is empty. I can not shoot that well with a 9 yet. I need more range time. Almost there with a 357, but that is a lot of gun for indoors. And penetration is a huge issue for me because I spend a lot of my time living in an RV.

I will reserve the ARs, AKs, Mini-14 and SKS for the zombie apocalypse.

I have a lot to think about as I transition to full time RV life in a couple of months and move to a state with better gun laws and better gun culture. But I have a pretty varied arsenal and lots of options. It’s been a pretty big topic on my mind these days.

I’ve considered the scenario many times since surviving an armed robbery at my home fifteen years ago. We have a full security system that is armed at night. Bedside is a .45ACP 1911 with two high powered Zebralights. Right by the bed, a Glock 19 MOS with 500 Lumen light. In the corner by the bed, is a 590 A1, with 1000 lumen weaponlight, loaded with low recoil 1150fps, Federal Tactical 00 Buck. What would I use down the long hallway to the bedroom? Shotgun backed by Glock 19. Close and personal, 1911. Stay safe so you NEVER have a confrontation.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Honestly my shotgun would be my last choice. I hear something go bump in the night and I have 2 choices... 1) Sit tight, call for help and wait. In this case a shotgun is fine. Have a bright light for IFF and the shotty pointed towards the door. 2) I have to go investigate. At this point I have to open the door giving up the element of surprise (to a point) so I am going to use every corner and piece of furntiture I can for cover. This is where a shotgun ain't so good. Unless I am running an SBS I have a HUGE gun (even a 18" barreled shotgun is long-ish) and I have to lead with the muzzle telegraphing my movements and offering a nice grabbing point for the bump in the night to latch on to possible disarming me and not even allowing for an on target shot if they push the muzzle away from themselves. In that case I'm grabbing a pistol with a weapon light that I can keep at compressed ready to untilize every bit of cover while not announcing myself as badly. And if a grab is attempted the is less (notice I didn't say none) of the weapon being pushed off target and if it is grabbed I'm breaking the shot and probably hitting something that is meat letting me get distance between us. Full disclosure, armchair QBing is just that and, around here at lease, tweakers gonna tweak. They are "squirrely" to say the least. All things considered I would probably go with option 1 as I am not getting paid to possibly die (And my hat's off to those that do!). IF I have to go with option 2 and have time I'm grabing an SBR for the same drill. 8.3" barrel and a fully collapse stock on top of the shoulder is still a very compact package, not very grabby, and accuracy will be good enough. Were are talking intruder at 3 to 10 feet not a gnats eyelash at 50 yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom