What's new

Home Intrusion - your #1 choice in firearms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the Mossberg. Love the top mounted “ambi” safety.

I had a 8+1 590 and ultimately sold it for a 5 shot 500 as I found a fully loaded 590 too “nose” heavy relative to the 500.

If I was carrying it overseas or on duty, more upper body work probably solves the problem.

For home defense and a bit of training/practice, the 5+1 is a handier platform.

YMMV greatly as the mission drives the gear.

PS-the racking of the slide as a deterrent may be dubious. If i am racking the action loud enough for an intruder to hear, it is only because I am in fear of my life/life of others and I want to rack in a positive/firm/full/hard manner to I do not short stuck the gun and induce a malfunction.

I would humbly submit that many home invaders, particularly at night, are not going to be dissuaded by such a sound but rather only the flash/report of a fired shell. Otherwise they would not be there in the first place as if burglary was the only goal, the would attempt such in the broad daylight when most folks, who work outside the home, still go to work.

A night time break in is classified as a violent crime. Most criminals didn't start with the night time break in. By the time a criminal graduates to this type of crime he enjoys it. He enjoys the violence, rape, and possibly killing. He knows someone will be home, maybe multiple people. Has probably cased the home, seen the occupants, looked thru the windows. He has a plan to deal with you for his enjoyment. This criminal like the stickup man needs to be put down hard and fast. He has a plan. Do you have a plan?

Well, while I am getting rid of the wife’s LCP Max and have replaced it with her G42, you have convinced me Brian to give my LCP II another chance. I mean after all; it has served faithfully for over a decade. After some online research, I found other LCP II owners, who had the same magazine drops after every shot fired like mine. And while Ruger replaced the entire lower frame, my research is showing it’s only the magazine release spring that is capable of wearing out after 400-600 rounds or so. MCarbo, an aftermarket company makes a release button spring for the LCP II which is a bit thicker in diameter than the Ruger OEM and the also put a couple of slight bends in the spring I a couple of strategically placed locations which improves the strength of the spring from wear even more.

I will replace the OEM in my LCP II with the MCarbo aftermarket. It appears there are many positive reviews that it fixes the issue and restores reliability to confidently carry it again in a EDC capacity.
I’m going to upgrade my release button spring too! Thanks for the tip.

Was watching reruns without commercials of Yellowstone and in one of the scenes, when a vehicle pulled up to Rip’s house in the middle of the night, with all the guns he has available… he came out of the house to greet the commotion with a Pump Shotgun with a blazing bright weapon light. Smart guy! 😉

I'm gonna TL;DR here. my go to in every selfe defense scenario inside the house is the same. I'm picking up either the Colt Combat Commander next to me on the desk, or if i'm in bed, the Remington govt. no shotguns, no ARs no racking the slide, no lights no lasers. between the LEDs from the desktop computer, to the lights in the watch winders to a couple nightlights, theree is ample light for me to see an intruder. IF they are lucky, they will hear the safety coming off. if they are VERY lucky they will year freeze. Likely the first indication I am there will be the flash and report of a 200gr .45 slug is going downrange

the thing that makes me cringe in discussions like these are "I'm gonna rack the slide" "I have a laser" "I have a light" good for you. Give up the tactical advantage. like I said above. the first hint you should have someone else is home is the report, flash and impact of their round. there is no "fair" in a home invasion. as it is being the first shot is not a sure fire thing. you don't KNOW he doesn't have a pal in the kitchen, and now THAT guy has the advantage

IMG_3310.jpeg

I think that Glock 9mm makes a lot of sense. If you awaken and someone is already on top of you, you don't want to have a safety that you have to take off and a long gun is no good. I've seen experienced hunters bend triggers on long guns when game flushed close at hand and forgetting to take off the safety. Fine motor skills go away when under stress, just as John Wesley Hardin and other experienced gun fighters. I like the grip safety on the S&W, and I like the Glock; grip and shoot.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My 9MM Glock makes most sense to me. The added maneuverability of a pistol indoors I think most overlook totally

This all depends on what type of intrusion it is and what actual ‘plan of action’ you are deciding on; in how to ‘deal with it’?

If it’s just a small peculiar noise you hear that wakes you up in the middle of the night?
And it could be anything? But it requires the need of someone to get up outta bed and go investigate? I’m right there with you. A Glock is probably in my hand.

But if I wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of my door being kicked in? And the voices of multiple intruders? All who could be possibly armed? One can clearly assume they intend on coming to find you, regardless of what you decide to do or be armed with?

Then the beautiful shotgun in the post just above yours would be the better choice? I would personally take that beautiful shotgun and find the nearest ‘choke point’ between those intruders and my loved ones. I would then use that choke point and turn it into a ‘fatal funnel’. Of instant, ‘justice, retribution & karma.’

While I humbly refuse to be the final judge in such matters, I will make sure I am adequately equipped and trained to arrange the meeting with the final judge.

So help me God.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I think that Glock 9mm makes a lot of sense. If you awaken and someone is already on top of you, you don't want to have a safety that you have to take off and a long gun is no good. I've seen experienced hunters bend triggers on long guns when game flushed close at hand and forgetting to take off the safety. Fine motor skills go away when under stress, just as John Wesley Hardin and other experienced gun fighters. I like the grip safety on the S&W, and I like the Glock; grip and shoot.

If you awaken and someone is already on top of you? Then you had a catastrophic failure in the multiple layers of your home defense plan all the way from your perimeter security to your entry security and internal security plan.

This would be totally unacceptable and even a pistol , conveniently located on the bedside table isn’t going to help the idiocy of an unacceptable home defense plan. Just sayin.

If you awaken and someone is already on top of you? Then you had a catastrophic failure in the multiple layers of your home defense plan all the way from your perimeter security to your entry security and internal security plan.

This would be totally unacceptable and even a pistol , conveniently located on the bedside table isn’t going to help the idiocy of an unacceptable home defense plan. Just sayin.
Nice in theory, but not reality. Many people, including some I know, have awakened with the intruder already in the room and sorted it out with a handgun and a couple didn't have a handgun and were raped. Stuff happens. The thing is, one needs to be prepared for the worst so one sleeps better at night, but can react appropriately if something does go wrong.

OkieStubble

Nice in theory, but not reality. Many people, including some I know, have awakened with the intruder already in the room and sorted it out with a handgun and a couple didn't have a handgun and were raped.

So they were intelligent and forward thinking enough to have a pistol at the ready, but not forward thinking enough to have had all the time in the world to build a successful home security plan that wouldn't let someone have the capability of quietly sneaking into their home and bedroom and literally, stand over them?

Question: How did they not here them break in, but then woke up with them just quietly standing over them; and yet, they had time to grab their pistol and still successfully deal with the intruder?

Some more detail is definitely needed before you can say, "nice in theory, but not reality?" You say you know some, in the bolded above, but while I didn't personally know them, I have worked my share of home invasions. And while I like to say; "never say never," I have never seen a successful home invasion, where not only were the homeowners armed, but they also had a successful home security prevention plan that gave them plenty of warning in order to be awake, grab their firearm and get into a position of readiness for what was coming.

Anything less then this? Then my 'theory' hasn't changed. They did not, instill an adequate and successful home security plan. Just because you know someone who it happened to, does not prove, that their security plan didn't suck?

Stuff happens. The thing is, one needs to be prepared for the worst so one sleeps better at night, but can react appropriately if something does go wrong.

I bolded your quote because it is excellent advise, but it also proves what I have said as reality and not theory. The reality is:

If you have a intelligent and proper, early warning and notification plan instilled in your home When as you say; "if something does goes wrong?" Let's define the two different types of 'if something does gone wrong.' If something does go wrong at my house, I will be alerted when they are still outside trying to get in and I will have already called the police have my firearm in hand and will be prepared and waiting on the police or on them to get inside, whichever comes first. Why? Because the reality is, I have a well thought out, multi-layered successful security plan.

Those you know, who woke up with someone standing over them? No disrespect intended sir, but while they thought their home security plan was a solid reality, the proof that someone quietly broke into their house and they woke up with them standing over them? Proves without a doubt, their plan sucked, which made it only a theory and not a reality.

I'm now "hearing impaired" at 51. My front and back doors have key-shop Schlage deadbolts and steel jamb and edge reinforcements in the doorframes. I have double-pane hurricane rated windows, rarely open and never if I'm not home and not awake. 1500watt motion lights under the house and very small porches, with the back porch having a gate at the top. Short version- getting into my house without access given from the inside would be a bit of an endeavor, e.g., you'll need a ram and more than one hit unless you go for a window, which is a whole other kind of fun. I may not hear your Keds on my steps, I will definitely hear your meat thumping on my home as you try to access.

Fine-motor does not disappear under stress- with training. If it did, medics would not be able to start IVs or intubate, especially with pedi patients in the back of a truck (BTDT with the IVs), and there is a whole range of other scenarios.

Be physically able and capable, to the best of your ability. Participate in adrenaline de-sensitization activities regularly (e.g., competition anything, that you take seriously).

Deconstruct your home's access-how would you break in? Have a sliding glass door? Drop a 1/2" aluminum bar in the track and add an upper rod to keep it from being lifted, use a quality laminate film to make it hard to break. This is just an example, but can be followed in every aspect from ground-level to second-story access.

Tech, lights & lasers, can make up for some physical deficits(e.g., increasing the aggressor's burden and diminishing yours). Evaluate, plan, train, re-evaluate.

Just a few thoughts...

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Jason:
In our house (and the Mrs. was also in the Army), our HD weapon is our 'good ole trusty' pump action, 8 round (+ one [1] in the chamber), 12 gauge 590 Mossberg w/ sling (similar to the Army issue M500 combat model), Shotgun (👂hear that...nothing like the sound of a shotgun shell being chambered). :thumbsup:

Mossberg 'is the name' when it come to shotguns. I've used the Army M500 combat shotgun for many, many years and I can tell you...it is an excellent and well-proven weapon. :wink:

attachment.php

For the latest model...read more here: http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...t-9-shot/"Our home is our domain and we shall defend it against all those who wish us harm". CBJ.
Shotgunist:
Thought I'd share this article with you. 📰

Story by Body Cams - MSN.com - 4 Apr 24

"When it comes to home defense, the stakes are incredibly high, and choosing the right tool for protection is paramount.

Among the plethora of options available, one stands out for its versatility, reliability, and sheer deterrent power: the shotgun.

1712284513120.jpeg

This age-old firearm, often associated with both tradition and effectiveness, offers a unique combination of features that make it an unrivaled choice for safeguarding one’s home and loved ones.

Below, we’ll dive into 16 compelling reasons why the shotgun is not just a weapon, but a homeowner’s best ally in the face of danger".

Read More: 16-reasons-shotguns-are-the-most-dominant-home-defense-weapon

1712283907247.gif
"My [o'le] trusty old shotgun. Primitive in some people's eyes, but reliable [in mine]".
Colonel 'Iron Hand' Straken

Last edited:
9mm and a flashlight in most cases. AR and shotguns are too cumbersome around corners .

Might make a 9" 300bo setup for QCB. Far preferable to 5.56 in a home defense context.

This guy gets it…. You just easily and successfully turned that hallway into an extension of the barrel on your Mossberg 590A1, all while never leaving your bedroom doorway.

Why go looking for an intruder who is more than willing to come find you, if one just sits and waits patiently? They didn’t go thru the time and trouble of breaking into your home to not go exploring and looking around? :)

Good job sir. Run up, get done up.
The overwhelming majority of B&E situations are actually people entering a house they believe to be empty. Most immediately run off with whatever they've managed to bag the moment they hear a person in the house. Those few that don't immediately run off will usually still avoid direct confrontation as they're almost always there for your valuables. That's why they teach women to yell "Bob, get the gun!" as soon as they hear what they believe to be a forced entry, even if their is no gun...even if their is no Bob.

Unexpected line of sight encounters are where most of the getting hurt happens for victim and perp alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom