What's new

Henson Titanium

Hensen markets their razor (orig. Aluminum) to those seeking a change from cartridge razors. I suppose their marketing department deserves credit because it's clearly working.

Their higher end offerings (Titanium) are targeted at enthusiasts.
Yes but only because there are so many more people using cartridge razors. Seems like the smart move if 50 million or more shaving age men are using a cartridge razor.

Hensen markets their razor (orig. Aluminum) to those seeking a change from cartridge razors. I suppose their marketing department deserves credit because it's clearly working.

Their most serious enthusiast offering is the AL +++. They don't even show it on the henson website, to prevent non-enthusiasts from accidentally stumbling on it. It is only sold at places where enthusiasts shop.

If their YouTube ads are to be believed (100,000 razors sold), I need to take a lesson from their marketing department ;-)

... Thom

I totally get the tradition and the hobby aspect but to call a better design something for beginners is just ludicrous.
FWIW, I definitely don't think the Henson is only a beginner razor. I think it's an innovative design that should be considered and evaluated on its own merits. While it may not be the best fit for everyone, it works well for many, and that's a net good for the market overall.

I have all three in Al and the +++ in Ti. In an interview Daniel Jantzi even said that the Ti isn't necessary, it is just for flexing. It is a luxury. When I got my Ti, I was surprised it wasn't much different than the Al. The weight difference is there, but it isn't nearly as much as I thought it would be.

The Henson as a beginner razor seems silly to me as well. Sure, it could be a place to star. I wish I would have started with it and stayed with it. I would have saved a lot of money! The more I shave the more I realize that my Hensons are in my top few razors.

@SalS, you may want to try a +++ before you take the leap to Ti.

Last edited:
I’m not quite there yet, but I’ve been trying out several other razors, and if the early returns are any indication, I’ll be buying a TI22++ in a few months as well, and selling off most of the others. My black AL13++ would become my travel razor (for road trips / checked bags, not carry-on).

Good ’solution!’ And Christmas is coming!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Not to whack a hornet nest, but, from the pictures, the Henson and Yates razors look similar. I have a Winner, made by Yates, which looks like both of them. I like the Winner except that it’s too heavy for me.

Can anyone help me understand the similarities and differences between the Henson and Yates Ti’s?

When I got my Ti, I was surprised it wasn't much different than the Al. The weight difference is there, but it isn't nearly as much as I thought it would be.
I think it just feels that way because they're both pretty light; the titanium model is twice the weight of the aluminum one (1.3 vs 2.7 oz).

I have a very back-and-forth relationship with the weight of both the aluminum and titanium models. When I use the aluminum I get a great shave, but I find that I have to use more pressure than I am used to, and sometimes there is some light buffing required to clear an area. But when I use the titanium version, I can't stop thinking about how comfortably the aluminum model shaves. Ultimately I would likely go for the Ti22 if I had to choose, overall I think I prefer the added weight, but that would be an unfortunate choice to have to make.

Last edited:
Not to whack a hornet nest, but, from the pictures, the Henson and Yates razors look similar. I have a Winner, made by Yates, which looks like both of them. I like the Winner except that it’s too heavy for me.

Can anyone help me understand the similarities and differences between the Henson and Yates Ti’s?

I like both the Hensons and the Winning! They have similiarities, but are also quite different. Both have a clear, flat shaving plane that helps you get the angle right. Both have great clamping and a small blade reveal, which gives excellent blade edge rigidity. Huge pluses in the pro column for both.

You're right, the Winning is very heavy and has a large head which challenges me under my nose. It also has a neutral blade exposure, so is less likely to nick you. The Hensons have an increasingly positive exposure, which can increase efficiency and can also nick you if you aren't careful. They are much lighter, have a thinner head, and are more maneuverable.

Both are excellent razors! If you like the Winning, but don't like the weight, try a Henson.

Yates makes a bunch of razors, some are more along a traditional design and the Winning is less so. Which Yates are you talking about? Also note, Jake has said he will bring the Winning back, but no clear word on when and if/how much the design would change.

Reactions: Kix

I find the Yates Ti and the Henson Ti to be totally different shavers. They may look somewhat similar, but for me, the Yates M and H Ti shaves better than the Henson Ti22. I had a Winning razor and hated it....nothing like the Yates.

The Henson is a very good razor and I still use it from time to time, but I don't like the drag on my face that it exhibits on occasion. I believe the large flat angle shape of the head has lots of surface area contact with the skin and can suck down to it (or at least that's how it feels). It's not bad, but noticeable. The Yates does not do this this and I find it shaves a little closer.

Yates is a phenomenal performing razor that I rank right up there with my Blackbird Ti.

Yates makes a bunch of razors, some are more along a traditional design and the Winning is less so. Which Yates are you talking about? Also note, Jake has said he will bring the Winning back, but no clear word on when and if/how much the design would change.
I'm thinking of the Yates "build-your-own razor" in titanium.

I find the Yates Ti and the Henson Ti to be totally different shavers. They may look somewhat similar, but for me, the Yates M and H Ti shaves better than the Henson Ti22. I had a Winning razor and hated it....nothing like the Yates.

The Henson is a very good razor and I still use it from time to time, but I don't like the drag on my face that it exhibits on occasion. I believe the large flat angle shape of the head has lots of surface area contact with the skin and can suck down to it (or at least that's how it feels). It's not bad, but noticeable. The Yates does not do this this and I find it shaves a little closer.

Yates is a phenomenal performing razor that I rank right up there with my Blackbird Ti.
Wow! Quite an endorsement.

My favorite razors are pretty mild--like Tatara Masamune, FOCS, pre-WW2 Tech, Leaf Twig. So I'd probably go for the M plate. I'd need to decide about SB, scalloped, or OC, though.

What did you hate about the Winning? Was it too mild for you? For me, the level of mildness/smoothness is about right. Also, its balance is OK, and I never experienced the "sucking" that some folks describe. What I don't like is the weight.

Wow! Quite an endorsement.

My favorite razors are pretty mild--like Tatara Masamune, FOCS, pre-WW2 Tech, Leaf Twig. So I'd probably go for the M plate. I'd need to decide about SB, scalloped, or OC, though.

What did you hate about the Winning? Was it too mild for you? For me, the level of mildness/smoothness is about right. Also, its balance is OK, and I never experienced the "sucking" that some folks describe. What I don't like is the weight.
The Winning razor is way too bulky and heavy for my liking. I could not get a very good shave from it for some reason. I definitely prefer the stainless Yates over it, but I'm really enjoying the Ti Yates that I recently purchased.

The Winning razor is way too bulky and heavy for my liking. I could not get a very good shave from it for some reason. I definitely prefer the stainless Yates over it, but I'm really enjoying the Ti Yates that I recently purchased.
Thanks. Very helpful.

I have used a Henson aluminum since the very beginning, but now have a Ti. I much prefer the slightly heavier feel, but it’s just a personal preference for a beautifully made tool.

The idea that one must progress beyond “beginner” tools and finally master an overly aggressive hatchet and a Feather blade is laughable. Read any number of threads that talk about alum block burn and weepers at every shave. People continue to buy into the ritual of shaving and go to ridiculous lengths to obtain just the right lather consistency (or risk a bloodbath), blade angle, pressure, blade alignment by nudging with the thumbnail, etc, etc. idiotic. Some razor designs are best consigned to the dustbin of history. A modern tool like the Henson, a fresh Feather or Gillette Platinum, and I can prep my face a lot or a little and use almost any soap or cream, and my shave is consistent and smooth. Every single time. It’s not a “beginner” razor, it’s just a damn fine design and manufacture.

I have used a Henson aluminum since the very beginning, but now have a Ti. I much prefer the slightly heavier feel, but it’s just a personal preference for a beautifully made tool.

The idea that one must progress beyond “beginner” tools and finally master an overly aggressive hatchet and a Feather blade is laughable. Read any number of threads that talk about alum block burn and weepers at every shave. People continue to buy into the ritual of shaving and go to ridiculous lengths to obtain just the right lather consistency (or risk a bloodbath), blade angle, pressure, blade alignment by nudging with the thumbnail, etc, etc. idiotic. Some razor designs are best consigned to the dustbin of history. A modern tool like the Henson, a fresh Feather or Gillette Platinum, and I can prep my face a lot or a little and use almost any soap or cream, and my shave is consistent and smooth. Every single time. It’s not a “beginner” razor, it’s just a damn fine design and manufacture.
Totally agree!
Consistent excellence is what I demand with every shave. No matter which Henson I reach for (AL or Ti) they deliver!!
IMG_4757.jpeg

Top Bottom