What's new

Henson Titanium

I used stainless steel exclusively for a long time, but once I started using a titanium razor, it was hard to go back. Over a year later, I’m just beginning to alternate razors again.

I have a blue aluminum ++ that now is my sole razor.

I am starting to think in titanium it is the holy grail razor.

Thoughts?
Increased weight ups the aggression and changes how it handles a little. Slight dampening of feedback compared to the AL.

Both AL and TI Hensons would last you until the heat death of the universe.

Despite the decided price differential, it's not about better or worse, but your personal likes and dislikes.

If you dig light razors you're already set.

If you like light razors but want more aggression, the AL +++ is fantastic.

If you prefer more heft, get the TI.

Increased weight ups the aggression and changes how it handles a little. Slight dampening of feedback compared to the AL.

Both AL and TI Hensons would last you until the heat death of the universe.

Despite the decided price differential, it's not about better or worse, but your personal likes and dislikes.

If you dig light razors you're already set.

If you like light razors but want more aggression, the AL +++ is fantastic.

If you prefer more heft, get the TI.
I am good with the level of aggression of the ++ but its the luxury of Ti that interests me.

I have a blue aluminum ++ that now is my sole razor.

I am starting to think in titanium it is the holy grail razor.

Thoughts?
I’m not quite there yet, but I’ve been trying out several other razors, and if the early returns are any indication, I’ll be buying a TI22++ in a few months as well, and selling off most of the others. My black AL13++ would become my travel razor (for road trips / checked bags, not carry-on).

I think of the several high-end razors I own, the Henson medium in Ti is my favorite all-time razor...

IMG_4610.jpeg

I have a ++ in AL and it is nice but Ti makes it feel like a whole new razor.

I think of the several high-end razors I own, the Henson medium in Ti is my favorite all-time razor...

View attachment 1694176

I have a ++ in AL and it is nice but Ti makes it feel like a whole new razor.
Can you elaborate on the differences? Is it the weight, and if so, have you experimented with different handles/materials on the alu?

Is it the "feel" on your face (damping, finish, thermal conductivity)?

I'm about to launch a handle experiment with my alu and will report back.

... Thom

Can you elaborate on the differences? Is it the weight, and if so, have you experimented with different handles/materials on the alu?

Is it the "feel" on your face (damping, finish, thermal conductivity)?

I'm about to launch a handle experiment with my alu and will report back.

... Thom

The feel is so much better. Honestly IMHO I think it is a travesty that the Henson is made from aluminum. SS and Ti should be the only offerings of this razor. The solid and slightly heavier feel of Ti makes the razor handle so much better. I haven't experimented with other handles which would obviously help as the head is fantastic. I tend to not like mixing handles and heads, I like a bit more purity and keeping heads and handles paired with the same manufacturer.

The feel is so much better. Honestly IMHO I think it is a travesty that the Henson is made from aluminum. SS and Ti should be the only offerings of this razor. The solid and slightly heavier feel of Ti makes the razor handle so much better. I haven't experimented with other handles which would obviously help as the head is fantastic. I tend to not like mixing handles and heads, I like a bit more purity and keeping heads and handles paired with the same manufacturer.
Henson commented that the expense of fabricating from s-s is only marginally less than titanium.

I'll never critique a company for limiting the number of SKUs. I can certainly want something, but at the same time, they're the ones who are responsible for the consequences of their business decisions.

Bear in mind that their primary market is cartridge converts, who are used to lighter razors. I fail to see a travesty in that ;-)

I'd be very curious to hear from individuals who own both ti and alu, who have experimented with handles. My experiment with alu has just begun. I don't have any razors in ti, let alone matching razors in 2 different materials.

Other possible reasons for differences between materials, other than balance/handling?

Thermal conductivity of aluminum is considerably higher than both stainless and titanium. Does this matter?

When I rinse a stainless vs. aluminum razor between swipes, they both take on the water temperature quickly. The volume of running water seems to swamp the razor head material differences given their low mass, so I doubt this is an attribute that accounts for any differences.

I'm struggling to think of other differences. Finish quality? That's generally not material dependent.

I'm not trying to come off as a naysayer, but l'm interested in there effect of designs and materials. I'm always on guard against confirmation bias. I've victimized myself too many times :straight:

... Thom

The Ti models will be back in stock in August sometime so I am a buyer then.

I have no issue with the aluminum one. For the $69 I paid for it including 100 pretty good blades, great deal.

Ti has a luxurious glow to it compared to stainless which is just ordinary.

Henson is a righteous company, from their 100 day satisfaction guarantee, to their bold approach to visual design (which quite a few on this forum object to), to the stories of how they've resolved problems for forum members.

I hope I didn't come off as contentious with my comments above, but I take a tools not jewels approach to this. I have no problem with those for whom a disagreeable appearance is a deal breaker. Ya pays yer money and ya makes yer choice ;-)

The data I'm trying to gather is however, is functional. Pictures will convey the rest.

In another thread, someone bashed razor "X" as performing like a pickup truck, in comparison with razor "Y" which handles like a sports car. Razor "X" was stainless, and has 5 or 6 handle options, with one of them being titanium. The poster was dismissive of the possibility that one of these different shapes or materials would alter his opinion for better or worse.

As far as stainless vs. titanium finish, I find that they take a similar tone and luster when polished. I don't have much experience with anodized titanium however.

I suspect any differences people are seeing is a function of how much attention is being paid to the finishing process.

With most companies charging considerably more for titanium, they're setting high expectations for perceived value, and a few more minutes on the buffing wheel are spent.

Aluminum on the other hand, looks nowhere as "visually dense/deep" when polished, in comparison with both s-s and titanium. Also, polished aluminum (after anodizing) takes on a cloudy look.

... Thom

I have both Al and Ti medium Henson razors and prefer the Ti22. I like the added weight and the feel of Ti. For me it shaves just a bit better as well. I have the V1 though and have not tried the newer Ti version.

I find it actually very entertaining that people view the Henson as a beginner razor for people that are coming off a cartridge razor. This is totally illogical. I view this razor as the one an experienced safety razor user gets when you finally realize laboring over the proper angle is just silly. There is no romance for me getting cuts, razor burn or having to go over areas 2 or 3 times.

We evolve ☺️

I find it actually very entertaining that people view the Henson as a beginner razor for people that are coming off a cartridge razor. This is totally illogical. I view this razor as the one an experienced safety razor user gets when you finally realize laboring over the proper angle is just silly. There is no romance for me getting cuts, razor burn or having to go over areas 2 or 3 times.

We evolve ☺️
This amuses me well. If a tool accomplishes its intended purpose more effectively (whether due to design, execution, or both), all the while facilitating a more repeatable process, how is it in some way inferior?

I may prefer the engagement of a manual transmission, the art of double clutching and such, but there's no way that I can shift as quickly as with modern, transmissions with paddle shifters.

... Thom

This amuses me well. If a tool accomplishes its intended purpose more effectively (whether due to design, execution, or both), all the while facilitating a more repeatable process, how is it in some way inferior?

I may prefer the engagement of a manual transmission, the art of double clutching and such, but there's no way that I can shift as quickly as with modern, transmissions with paddle shifters.

... Thom
I totally get the tradition and the hobby aspect but to call a better design something for beginners is just ludicrous.

I find it actually very entertaining that people view the Henson as a beginner razor for people that are coming off a cartridge razor...
Hensen markets their razor (orig. Aluminum) to those seeking a change from cartridge razors. I suppose their marketing department deserves credit because it's clearly working.

Their higher end offerings (Titanium) are targeted at enthusiasts.

Top Bottom