What's new

Handwriting samples, pics! Let us see yours.

Wow. Tiny. Do you study with a magnifying glass?

Now, now. Don't start James off on another AD (Spill proof bottles), it would ruin lot of the fun we have here in the Nib!
View attachment 310844

Nope, just small writing.

James would never leave us, he basically grafted himself onto the Nib like one a Frankenstein right writing hand. Yes, like Frankenstein, we were all surprised at first to find someone grafted on, but it all worked out and now won't let the hand wander off. Whether he likes it or not, we have him. Mwahaha. No matter how many AD's he picks up, his pens.. his pens will call him.

Btw, that image, I can't quite make it out, but I am seeing a really freaky cat with an eye one the end of the head, a mohawk, and a bulbous neck all resting on four tiny legs. Probably not right.. but that is what I see. Sort of scary.

Its a cat with a blue mohawk, a reference to an accident between a bad chinese pen converter, some liberty elysium bulletproof ink, aaaand my cat

I never was able to get pictures

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

James would never leave us, he basically grafted himself onto the Nib like one a Frankenstein right writing hand. Yes, like Frankenstein, we were all surprised at first to find someone grafted on, but it all worked out and now won't let the hand wander off. Whether he likes it or not, we have him. Mwahaha. No matter how many AD's he picks up, his pens.. his pens will call him.

Btw, that image, I can't quite make it out, but I am seeing a really freaky cat with an eye one the end of the head, a mohawk, and a bulbous neck all resting on four tiny legs. Probably not right.. but that is what I see. Sort of scary.
Well, at least it isn't like Frankenstein's brain (Abby Someone)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q

I don't think James would ever leave us. But if he was to somehow secure spill proof bottles, it would greatly reduce his repertoire of hilarious ink accidents. Thus, discounting the level of fun in the Nib.

Its a cat with a blue mohawk, a reference to an accident between a bad chinese pen converter, some liberty elysium bulletproof ink, aaaand my cat

I never was able to get pictures

I guess this will have to suffice. Maybe he can be the official mascot of The Nib.

Hello Gents. Thought I'd check in and report on what your good advice hath wrought.

I did pick up a converter from the pen shop in that posh part of town. It was $18, not $10! I had seen it online for more like ten, but I do appreciate the posh pen shop and what it offers, including quite a lot of good advice. One interesting tidbit is that they don't carry Noodler's inks because of the experience of several customers who had had their pens rendered unusable by them. Any thoughts on why that would be? I know many members of this forum hold Noodler's inks in high regard. I am suspecting there may be issues with not properly flushing the pens before putting in the new ink, but the shop person suggested there is some poor consistency with Noodler's.

I also bought ink, Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue, on the basis of what I saw in the shop's sample book, which had a hundred inks or so. I received advice on thoroughly flushing the pen to avoid any potential troubles from reactions between inks.

All excited to try a new ink, having been committed to those black Sheaffer cartridges for all these years. It was the lovely calligraphy and the beautiful translucency of ink as documented in this thread that turned me on to this new possibility.

Then sure enough I had one of those moments at work on Friday, shopping around a document for signatures of people ostensibly more important than me, and one of them glanced at the few titles and signature lines I had written on the page and said, "Do you do calligraphy?" I felt like an imposter! "Uh, not really. I have a nice pen. I just bought some ink." I guess my cover is blown. What regular person buys "ink?"

My noodlers make a mess on the Nib but they have always written nicely, I've never heard of a pen being made un usable

My noodlers make a mess on the Nib but they have always written nicely, I've never heard of a pen being made un usable

I have, but it was my own fault. I didn't clean the pen thoroughly enough, and the ink ate the nib down. After about a dozen flushings I -still- get ink in the water each time. It was only a $20 or so pen, but it was my first actual purchase. I learned never to leave Noodler's ink in a pen that I wasn't going to use for more than a few weeks (this had sat MUCH longer than, but I don't want to find that line).

Also, T. Orso, sounds like an awesome shop. Also, how I carry a refill of ink: I bought a bunch of sample containers and a syringe. If I am at work, I can leisurely fill my pens, but if I am in class I can run outside really quick with my little ziplock baggy that has the container with ink and my syringe, take my pen, refill the ink, and be back inside in a minute without mess. That was my answer to carrying cartridges for quick changing. I also carry an extra, empty container just in case. All gotten from gouletpens.com with the exception of the ziplock, that.. that is from my grocery store.

I also find I get a bit of nib creep with the Noodler's inks I have tried. Some pens (converters) may have been stained too but probably from my own lack of attention to detail while cleaning.

I have two Jinhao X750s that have had only a couple converters full of Noodler's Turquoise ink run through them. I just replaced their nibs with Bulow and Knox nibs. While inspecting the feeds with the nibs removed, I was surprised how much turquoise residue was fairly tenaciously coating the plastic feeds. It's a pretty saturated ink.

It may be that only a thin layer of pigment adhered to the plastic via electrostatic or chemical interaction/reaction with the plastic and that after further use, more pigment won't build up. I'll be keeping one of the pens and only using Noodler's turquoise in it to see if ink continues to build up, even after flushing the pen thoroughly between ink refills. I'm quite good about flushing pens between refills, even if I'm not switching inks.

I'm a scientist by training, and I like a good experiment. I'll eventually report on this after I run a couple ounces of ink through that pen.

-Andy

Here is an example of my work.
Just kidding!
This is actually an excerpt from a hand wriiten math book that my 4th Great Uncle wrote in 1815. I have the book, and it is just awesome to look through.
Regards,
Bil

$_DSC1307a.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of pages in the book has some family history, another page looks like he was practicing his script, writing his name and all. If you like I can take some more photos and post. When I get my '46 Parker restored I might like to try this....
Bil

okay I didn't wait for an answer. this is the page where it looks as if he might have been practicing his script. I didn't photoshop this as I did the other. If interested PM yer email and I send you the original image. Pretty large....
I love this stuff.
Bil

$_DSC2021.jpg

Really awesome stuff! SOmething that old, he would have been using a quill or some type of dip pen, I guess.

Tried to send a PM, you've met your quota... you popular guy, you.

Top Bottom