What's new

Greetings!

Hello, B&B! I've been drawing wisdom from this place for a while now, and I figured it was about time to try to contribute while I take in. I am definitely still a shaving novice, having used a straight razor (albeit poorly) for less than a year, but I figure there's always that odd thing I know something about here or there.
If you don't mind, I have a bit of a favour to ask. I am using, essentially, baseline equipment. I use Col Conk soap & strop, an inexpensive (read: Wal-Mart) boar brush, and a razor that may very well be older than my father. I know enough about knives to realise the razor I'd stumbled over at a military surplus store in the "oddities case", as I call it, had scarcely been ground, and probably just as scarcely used. It was just... old. So, for $30 American, I figured it was a steal. The steel is some of the finest carbon steel I've ever owned.
Sorry -- shaving is an exciting topic. In any case, what should I upgrade first? I've been happy with the razor thus far. The soap is dissappointing, but frankly I think I may just be doing it wrong.

Welcome to B&B. Glad you really joined us. Conk soap is pretty good and usually gives good shaves. Almond is by far my favorite. I would upgrade the brush, an Omega Boar will set you back less than 20 bucks and make you very happy. Vintage straights are typically wonderful being better than what you can get today. With some pics someone could tell you all about.

Thanks guys!
The brush makes sense. I suppose I'm odd in the way that I get excited about hygiene and dress, and as such I have a sort of "go big or go home" attitude with shaving. I'm glad I don't have $300 sitting around, because I would be itching to spend in on a new Silvertip brush. :p I'll take a look at the Omega. My local tobacconist has the means to order shaving supplies, though he scarcely keeps any in stock.
I suppose, honestly, I just don't understand how to use the soap. Everyone raves about creams, and I just can't afford that, which is fine, but it makes it difficult to parse out any advice regarding hard soaps specifically.
I'd love to put pics up, but I don't have a digital camera at the moment. The brand wash on the blade is "Red Sun". The blade has a made in Germany stamp, and the import stamp is "Utica, NY". I don't know much about the collecting and branding aspects of razors, but I've been very happy with this one so far.

Top Bottom