What's new

Green Cult Steel Razor

100% Made in Austria. 100% Steel

SotD
NEW Greencult Steel Razor
Joserra Black Rose Note AS and Soap, Kent Brush.

Today I was allowed to test something new with a lot of potential upwards.

I first heard about it in the FdR forum. A small company in Austria specializing in sustainable products offered a safety razor whose handle was made of 100% stainless steel by a metal company (machining technology) in the precision area in Vorarlberg, Austria.

Initially, the head was bought, but then it was decided to also produce the head in this metal company at cost price. They have no sponsorship. Others and I are now doing this for free 😊

Since it is a family business and production takes place directly on site, you now dare to take this step. Safety razor and handle are 100% stainless steel. The steel comes from the EU.

Mrs. Valerie Wallner runs this small eco shop. Her partner is a project manager in said metal company and his father is the owner of this company. I had a long chat with her today. Pictures and videos were shown how everything is made.

Of course there were also prototypes. The handle is serrated and turned on a lathe. The CNC head. Other grips are still to come and are being planned. OC safety razor is to follow and there are also new ideas for high-quality safety razors.

Since this safety razor has only been on the market for a few weeks, everything is still in its infancy. We all know that innovation should be encouraged. Even companies like Rocnel started out small. I remember the first Rocnel SE and what great things came over time. Long story short.

The shave was BOMB. I replaced the included Tiger Blade with a Feather. The Feather fits perfectly with these safety razors. The tigers worked too but she was a bit too mild.

How can you describe it? More thorough than an R41 but smoother than a Blackland Blackbird. Simply successful for a first work. It was almost a one pass shave and I was BBS.

No irritation, no redness, no burning. The blade is already there, but you can feel it without being angry. As I said, successful. The shape is kept quite simple. The weight of 122 grams is ideal. It is balanced and thanks to the satin finish of the head, the head glides more gently over the skin.

One speaks here of a shark fin principle, scale principle. This makes better use of the lubricating film of the soap. The handle itself feels good in the hand, but could do with a little more "grip". Let's help these small regional providers (start-up) 😊

A few data:

Utility model protection registered.
Material: 100% stainless steel
Dimensions: 45 mm x 116 mm
Weight: 122 g
Various handle colors
There is no blade protrusion! So the blade is completely in the head and does not stick out to the side.
Costs around 40 euros.

Where to buy:
https://fairschenkt.at/shop/rasierhobel-closed-kamm/

Worlwide
Etsy: greencult | Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/de/shop/greencult?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=811262274

- Pictures The pictures are mine and show the safety razor. Recorded with a 4K camera. Lint and minimal residue from the wet polishing cloth are my own.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It is nice to see that not only China can produce stainless steel safety razors at this price.

The handle is about 30mm too long for my liking, and the head design a bit bland .. looks like most other cheap Chinese made heads.
I recognise they are all just blade holders - however something a bit more unique would be nice.

I shall a look on there though for future models to see if they get a bit more adventurous.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
From a crazy lover of razor perspective, I would wish he had more cosmetic appeal or design innovation.
But since this is an environmentally friendly brand, I know that they are dealing with home users who are new to wet shaving, so the conservative look and price may be more suitable for their customers.

In any case, as long as there are brands willing to invest in wet shaving, it is something to be encouraged for us.
I believe they will get better and better.

I sincerely hope that this will not be the last attempt to mass produce a 100% SS DE razor at affordable prices. Hopefully manufacturers who deliver pot metal at the same price point will take a note. I aggree with @CaerMooman that with such products, Aliexpress will have a harder time.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I will order one today, just asked the shop owner if they would me prefer to order via Etsy or her very own shop.

There are quite some machining marks, "as machined" and "as machined" can be quite different depending on the company/manufacturer. I would also like to remark "More thorough than an R41 but smoother than a Blackland Blackbird" is a VERY tall order. But the price is extremely fair and even on the very low end for stainless steel razors. I would like to second an at least optical resemblance to Yates head geometry.

Let's see, I am looking forward to it and will report in the SOTD thread soon.

OK.

People are a little overwhelmed.

In principle, this is also a small eco shop and a small metal company.

Please give people time.

The link to the shop in Austria is now here (Greencult Rasierhobel aus Edelstahl (geschlossener Kamm) - fairschenkt - Online Shop für nachhaltige Geschenke - https://fairschenkt.at/shop/rasierhobel-geschlossener-kamm/)

Shipping to Greece is also being worked on to Russia.

Shipping to the UK is not possible due to a trademark application from a local cosmetics company.

A white label for packaging and only the logo without a name is in the works, but it will take time.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I just got it by mail and shaved already before lunch, not in the evening as usual.

greencult.jpg

Surprise, surprise. It's not only good, it's amazing.

I had some preconceptions:
I thought...
1.) ... this is a mild razor for women. Greencult, eco, yeah, you know the drill.
2.) ... the comparison made with the Blackbird and R41. I didn't believe that.
3.) ... quite some machining marks visible in the photos. <- the only correct preconception, but they are as bad as feared

Well, I cut my upper lip, it was bleeding, and my chin had a shallow cut, that didn't bleed.
How wrong I was. So much about mild. This is a MEDIUM-AGGRESSIVE to AGGRESSIVE razor, it is made for enthusiasts, not a super safe model for beginners.

Efficiency: It is, which surprised me, more efficient than a Blackbird SB, also more aggressive, but not nearly as aggressive as a Mühle R41. It comes very close to its efficiency, but is way easier to handle. I like it even better than my Husaria. It is a very good head design.
It is quite a beast, but gives a very close shave. While it is smooth, but also not unlikely to bite due to the large gap and positive exposure of the blade. But as I said, I totally underestimated the razor.

Some observations: Cap and geometry remind me very much of YATES and BLUTT. The handle is heavy and the shape of upper end, where you can place your thumb if you wish, reminds me very much of some ZOMCHI razors from China that use the same shape. The rings provide good to very good grip. Knurling would still be more to my liking, but I was again very positively surprised. Also, as an aside, I just ran out of razor stands. But it fit exactly by height into my acrylic test tube rack. The handle is very long, 90-95mm or more, didn't check with a ruler. Much longer than the Super Knurl from RazoRock for sure, or the Rockwell handle.

It shaves STEEP, I can ride the scalloped safety bar, which is my preferred method of shaving. The safety bar reminds me a lot of the SB BLACKBIRD.

It got delivered with a pack of Czech Tiger Platinum blades, a mild blade, and yeah, I think this one can make use of it. A BIC or Feather might have caused a blood bath, I am glad I took my usual choice, the very cushioned but nevertheless very sharp Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum.

The handle colors are achieved through DLC coating. The head finish isn't the electropolish of RazoRock or DSCosmetic, but I like the as machined look better than matte or beadblast. The price is a bargain. It's even below Wetshaving Club, Razorock or DSCosmetic offers.

Apparently there is already work on a shorter handle, I would not mind a long handle with knurls either, and while they offer a plastic blade guard (just like those for Mühle razors, they are not that useful, I bought some and ever wonder since for what I need them), I would rather wish for a fitting bullet stand for the razor. For people new to wetshaving this razor might also be a bit too aggressive, maybe a milder plate, like for the Alpha Outlaw, could solve that.

The head geometry is superb. I guess my Nodachi acquisition gets delayed once more, have to try the at least visually similar Yates and Blutt heads... :thumbup1:

greencult2.jpg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I just got it by mail and shaved already before lunch, not in the evening as usual.

View attachment 1400600

Surprise, surprise. It's not only good, it's amazing.

I had some preconceptions:
I thought...
1.) ... this is a mild razor for women. Greencult, eco, yeah, you know the drill.
2.) ... the comparison made with the Blackbird and R41. I didn't believe that.
3.) ... quite some machining marks visible in the photos. <- the only correct preconception, but they are as bad as feared

Well, I cut my upper lip, it was bleeding, and my chin had a shallow cut, that didn't bleed.
How wrong I was. So much about mild. This is a MEDIUM-AGGRESSIVE to AGGRESSIVE razor, it is made for enthusiasts, not a super safe model for beginners.

Efficiency: It is, which surprised me, more efficient than a Blackbird SB, also more aggressive, but not nearly as aggressive as a Mühle R41. It comes very close to its efficiency, but is way easier to handle. I like it even better than my Husaria. It is a very good head design.
It is quite a beast, but gives a very close shave. While it is smooth, but also not unlikely to bite due to the large gap and positive exposure of the blade. But as I said, I totally underestimated the razor.

Some observations: Cap and geometry remind me very much of YATES and BLUTT. The handle is heavy and the shape of upper end, where you can place your thumb if you wish, reminds me very much of some ZOMCHI razors from China that use the same shape. The rings provide good to very good grip. Knurling would still be more to my liking, but I was again very positively surprised. Also, as an aside, I just ran out of razor stands. But it fit exactly by height into my acrylic test tube rack. The handle is very long, 90-95mm or more, didn't check with a ruler. Much longer than the Super Knurl from RazoRock for sure, or the Rockwell handle.

It shaves STEEP, I can ride the scalloped safety bar, which is my preferred method of shaving. The safety bar reminds me a lot of the SB BLACKBIRD.

It got delivered with a pack of Czech Tiger Platinum blades, a mild blade, and yeah, I think this one can make use of it. A BIC or Feather might have caused a blood bath, I am glad I took my usual choice, the very cushioned but nevertheless very sharp Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum.

The handle colors are achieved through DLC coating. The head finish isn't the electropolish of RazoRock or DSCosmetic, but I like the as machined look better than matte or beadblast. The price is a bargain. It's even below Wetshaving Club, Razorock or DSCosmetic offers.

Apparently there is already work on a shorter handle, I would not mind a long handle with knurls either, and while they offer a plastic blade guard (just like those for Mühle razors, they are not that useful, I bought some and ever wonder since for what I need them), I would rather wish for a fitting bullet stand for the razor. For people new to wetshaving this razor might also be a bit too aggressive, maybe a milder plate, like for the Alpha Outlaw, could solve that.

The head geometry is superb. I guess my Nodachi acquisition gets delayed once more, have to try the at least visually similar Yates and Blutt heads... :thumbup1:

View attachment 1400604
Great review, and stunning pictures, too! As my razor is en route, your observations on aggressiveness likely saved a pint of O positive, for which @Iridian I am in your debt.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The handle is very long 10,5 cm, the diameter is 12mm. Weight 77g.

It's longer than I guessed, but smaller in diameter.

It is for the most part a solid rod with rather flat rings, it is actually feeling more like a 13mm handle or 14mm butt end handles with for the most part 12mm diameter.

Reactions: Kix

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The head geometry kinda reminds of some of the ATT as well as the generic R89/DE89 head designs.

No worries - it's much better than a R89 head. Or before some people might feel offended, it is a more aggressive but also more efficient head design.

Regarding similarities:
de89.jpg
The bar scallops indeed. But otherwise, the cap isn't rounded, the contact points between baseplate, blade and cap are much wider for the Green Cult razor. It needs a model name. It also allows for a very steep shave.

Top Bottom