What's new

General Cycling Questions

I had an old-timer tell me that by the time you see the cat, it's too late.

Not sure how he knew that, though...

It all depends. Better to see it and at least brace yourself, than be totally ambushed. It is a rare occurrence, though. The last verified report I read about was back in '07. It's just something I was wondering about. A bigger danger would be dogs, and humans, if you were in urban areas.

Sandals for riding, eh? That's interesting. It must help keep cool, but I'm not sure I'd go for it. Big +1 on that sunscreen. That would suck to have sunburned feet.

On my ride this afternoon a 62 year old man was assaulted about a mile from where I was at the exact time. It wasn't really in a bad area and it was in broad daylight at around 3pm. Does anyone every consider carrying any self defense weapons with them while riding? I've never even thought about it, but after today....

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=10827965&nav=menu188_2

I may consider it now. I ride on popular trail and lake area and usually feel safe but there is a lot of wooded areas that I would not be comfortable in alone for any period of time. I am fortunate to ride with my brother at least 4 days of the week. Safety in numbers.

I may consider it now. I ride on popular trail and lake area and usually feel safe but there is a lot of wooded areas that I would not be comfortable in alone for any period of time. I am fortunate to ride with my brother at least 4 days of the week. Safety in numbers.

I personally think you should look into some pepper spray. Fox Labs makes some good stuff, that's what my girlfriend carries.

On my ride this afternoon a 62 year old man was assaulted about a mile from where I was at the exact time. It wasn't really in a bad area and it was in broad daylight at around 3pm. Does anyone every consider carrying any self defense weapons with them while riding? I've never even thought about it, but after today....

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=10827965&nav=menu188_2

Were you riding on the Monon? My guess is that you were heading deeper into Indy?

EDIT: I posted before reading the article. Clearly the Monon runs into some less than hospitable parts of town. I'd say if you aren't comfortable with a side arm at the very least take some potent pepper spray and a cell phone with you EVERY time you go.

I personally think you should look into some pepper spray. Fox Labs makes some good stuff, that's what my girlfriend carries.

I second that. Maybe it was from reading this thread or the spook movie I watched last night but at 3pm today I went on a solo ride and was nervous. It was raining when I left the house the first time so I waited until it let up. The roads were still wet and the sky was dark for the first 10 miles. It was 5 miles until I ran into another person. When I got to thinking I was on a trail that had corn fields on one side and trees lining the other with the highway about 100ft from that. Anything could happen. The "safe" part of my ride circles a lake which had police ticking earlier today so I avoided that and only came across 3 people. With that in mind I do need something for protection.

Ladies and Gents...while I can't offer any help for Pumas I am strongly opposed to arming one's self against man's best friend. First, it hurts the dog, who is likely just defending his territory; second, your'e more likely to hurt yourself as you scramble in a panic to grab a pepper spray can out of your jersey pocket at 15-25mph to spray at a moving target while you, too, are moving...seriously, who are we all kidding?; third, and most important, the best defense against a dog is a stern commanding "stay" or "sit"...it works EVERY TIME.

Ladies and Gents...while I can't offer any help for Pumas I am strongly opposed to arming one's self against man's best friend. First, it hurts the dog, who is likely just defending his territory; second, your'e more likely to hurt yourself as you scramble in a panic to grab a pepper spray can out of your jersey pocket at 15-25mph to spray at a moving target while you, too, are moving...seriously, who are we all kidding?; third, and most important, the best defense against a dog is a stern commanding "stay" or "sit"...it works EVERY TIME.

I myself am not afraid of an animal attack but a human attack. My very popular trail that is usually very safe sometimes feels uncomfortable, not to mention one of my best friends had and aunt murdered on this very trail.

Yeah, right. Tell that to any of my co-workers who have had to shoot dogs charging them. In some cases the OWNERS were yelling at them to stop.

By far I believe the greatest danger comes from other people, especially if you ride in urban areas where they are driving, seconded by loose dogs.

No offense brother and I am not trying to be offensive or start an argument with you but this may be one of the most misleading things I've ever read here on the B&B. And to make things worse you said it works EVERY TIME.

Yeah, right. Tell that to any of my co-workers who have had to shoot dogs charging them. In some cases the OWNERS were yelling at them to stop.

By far I believe the greatest danger comes from other people, especially if you ride in urban areas where they are driving, seconded by loose dogs.

+1 I agree that man is your greatest risk when walking, jogging, cycling etc.

Back to the primary subject:

I had a friend that was dispatched to housing on a report that 2-3 large dogs were "terrorizing" children. When he responded to the area he didn't/couldn't find them. He got out and started walking down the access road/alley between houses looking for them. He rounded a corner and three Rottweilers (I love Rotties BTW) tore out after him. They chased him about a block back to his patrol car. He made it safely to his cruiser and called for a pair of K-9 officers and asked them to bring nooses to try and catch the dogs. While he was waiting the dogs took off. He drove around for a while and never found them. He headed back to the LE desk. After a short 2.5 mile drive he arrived. He got out of the car, locked the door and as soon as he turned around two of the dogs were rushing him, apparently they followed him all the way back to the desk. He ran around his cruiser and another several times with the dogs rapidly closing distance. Eventually he turned and shot the first dog in the head. The gun shot scared the other dog off. Know what he did during his first encounter with them in housing? He yelled, "Heel, Sit, Stay" and all commands fell on the deaf ears of angry dogs. Know what he did when the chase started around the cars? He turned and yelled, "Sit, Stay!". It doesn't work EVERY TIME. That is just irresponsible to claim. It is good advice and in fact I agree it will work quite often. In fact many times you don't need to say anything, you can simply yell loudly and that will stop many dogs.

Were you riding on the Monon? My guess is that you were heading deeper into Indy?

You're right it does go through some sketchy places, but where this happened was right at 54th, right by Mama Carolla's somewhere that I've never thought of as a bad area. Nasty stuff.

It seems that Dog/Cyclist problems vary by area. Having lived in far too many locals, N.Ga/Chattanooga TN was the worst. Great riding but a lot of untethered dogs. It eventually got to the point that many of us carried a can of "Halt" spray. I used it twice on dogs with great effect. Both times were on dogs that were on a fairly regular route that I took. After being sprayed I was never cahsed by either of those dogs again.

I always try and remember that it is not the dogs fault. Somewhere there is ann owner that allowed a dog to develop that kind of behavior. One of the dogs that I sprayed the owner was standing in the yard. He never called the dog or reacted when it took off after me, but once the owner saw that I peppered the dog, he yelled at me to leave the dog alone!

It seems that Dog/Cyclist problems vary by area. Having lived in far too many locals, N.Ga/Chattanooga TN was the worst. Great riding but a lot of untethered dogs. It eventually got to the point that many of us carried a can of "Halt" spray. I used it twice on dogs with great effect. Both times were on dogs that were on a fairly regular route that I took. After being sprayed I was never cahsed by either of those dogs again.

I always try and remember that it is not the dogs fault. Somewhere there is ann owner that allowed a dog to develop that kind of behavior. One of the dogs that I sprayed the owner was standing in the yard. He never called the dog or reacted when it took off after me, but once the owner saw that I peppered the dog, he yelled at me to leave the dog alone!

+1 and that guy is an example of irresponsible owners for sure.

I got chased by an American Bull Dog or Bull Terrier once while jogging, as it closed the distance I turned around to yell at it, hoping that would quell the issue. When it didn't and the dog lunged I punched it square on top of the head and KO'd it. I also jacked up my hand something fierce. I thought for sure I was going to get mauled. A few days later while running the same route a guy came out to confront me asking if I'm the one who did it. I told him yes and he started going on and on about getting a lawyer and suing. I asked it the dog was ok, pointed out the local leash law and went about my run. People like that are the problem, not the animal. Still, that doesn't change the fact that would should be prepared.

Yea, but those are dogs meant to do exactly that...that's an apples to oranges comparison. Im talking about your local home owner's dog that is out in his yard, not some pit bull bent on ripping your arm off! If you're only option is riding in areas where you have to worry about those kinds of attacks that I might suggest you try a new fitness regime.

Yea, but those are dogs meant to do exactly that...that's an apples to oranges comparison. Im talking about your local home owner's dog that is out in his yard, not some pit bull bent on ripping your arm off! If you're only option is riding in areas where you have to worry about those kinds of attacks that I might suggest you try a new fitness regime.

They weren't all pits. Those dogs get a bad rap. I'm not saying it doesn't work. But animals are unpredictable. People who have had dogs for years get bitten by them sometimes, regardless of breed. But that's a good point, about finding another path if yours is overrun by loose canines.

Back on topic, I looked into getting into cycling a while back, but doing it properly was more than I wanted to spend at the time. I may look to it in the future. I loved riding as a kid, and I rode a cheap mountain bike to work when I first moved out. That reminds me, headlights. I had 2 on my bike. They have much better ones than those cheap Bell incandescents I had. Here, night riders are required to have a light visible for at least 1,000 ft. I don't know if Tim plans to ride at night, though. I did it because I had to.

These LED lamps are unbelievable. So much brighter than the old ones, and with a fraction of the power consumption.

I bought shoes today now I have to buy the pedals. Is there a normal price range? I do now want to spend money in the same store I bought the shoes. I went to Momentum cycles today and purchased shoes but those guys sure think they are hot you know what. They have 3 stores locally and 2 of the 3 should be out of business because they are so ignorant to their customers. I am so disappointed at customer service these days.

Wendy,
I'm sorry to hear that your local bike shop isn't taking the time that they should with you, well knowing the mail order/online bike warehouses are killing them. I'm a staunch advocate of developing raport and doing business with the LBS, but they have to make an effort too. As much as I hate to say this, speak to or chat on line with the techno-weenies at Performance, Nashbar or one of the many other online/mail order businesses. They usually know what they're talking about, and in my experience, they won't talk down to you if you're a noobie or anything less than a TDF rider. As for the pedal price ranges, I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but I think you can get something decent for less than or around $100.
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Last edited:
I bought shoes today now I have to buy the pedals. Is there a normal price range? I do now want to spend money in the same store I bought the shoes. I went to Momentum cycles today and purchased shoes but those guys sure think they are hot you know what. They have 3 stores locally and 2 of the 3 should be out of business because they are so ignorant to their customers. I am so disappointed at customer service these days.

Wendy,

Both of the big on-line stores, Nashbar and Performance Bike, have their own line of pedals, which are less expensive than a brand name, and certainly less than $100.

Good luck.

jim

Top Bottom