What's new

General Cycling Questions

I use a Topeak Joe Blow and it is SPECTACULAR. If you get one you will not regret it...
Agreed that the JB is functionally superior, and durable to boot; we always used one for the shop pump. There's nothing rational about using a Silca in this day and age, but we've been through a lot together. When the present leather seal wears out, I may be tempted to update, but it will be with a touch of sadness.

I had a bad flat this weekend on a group ride. Tore across the tire for about 1/2" and through the tube. Used the dollar bill to patch the inside of the tire, new tube installed and away we go. Made it home ok, but there was a pretty good know by the time I made it back.

I am a fan of CO2 cartridges. I always carry two of the non threaded and the nozzle to use them. If you use the non threaded you can purchase them at Wal Mart or some other ibg box store. They are sold in packs of 25 or 50 for use in CO2 guns. Usually end up being about 10% of the threaded cartridge price.

140!? What are you riding? The highest clincher I have seen or used is a Veloflex Record, and that is an ultra-light racing tire at 130psi. Are they Tufos, which are run at 160psi?

They're Vredestein Fortezza's. Rated to 145 psi. They're a bit bouncy on the rough roads in Maine, but I love how they roll. And I haven't had a flat yet. Check 'em out.

I would get lectured for the amount of water I drink so on to the next thing. Any suggestions for shoes? I am not interested in spending an entire car payments worth on shoes but a decent middle of the road shoe would be nice. I want to avoid buying at the bike shop I would prefer Ebay and need suggestions.

I don't think I've ever heard of a bicyclist being attacked by a puma period. Most wildlife is far too shy to be much of a threat.

Agreed. However we did have one cyclist attacked by a puma in California a few years ago. Her friend came up on the attack and used her bike as a weapon, I believe.

And after the attack they found another biker partially eaten by the puma. However, it's unclear if he was attacked and eaten or died from other causes (e.g., heart attack) and then was scavenged by the puma.

Wendy,
Have you considered one of the online catalogues like Performance or Nashbar?
Probably more selection of shoes of all types, styles, and price points from entry level on up. Sometimes they have blowout sales on really good stuff and their own name brand stuff is made by reputable mfgrs.

I would get lectured for the amount of water I drink so on to the next thing. Any suggestions for shoes? I am not interested in spending an entire car payments worth on shoes but a decent middle of the road shoe would be nice. I want to avoid buying at the bike shop I would prefer Ebay and need suggestions.

My wife has been riding a pair of Adidas Vuletana women's shoes for years and thinks they are pretty good. I have a pair of Adidas shoes that I use exclusively for cyclocross racing, and this is due to my wife's experience and the fact that they are cheap shoes. You can probably find them at either Nashbar or Performance (as mentioned above) or on Ebay...be forewarned, they tend to run a bit long so you might have to do some returning.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
My bicycle is nine months old. I rode it about every day at about six miles per day. The bike shop said the chain was bad. I complained . So the shop owner put on a new one for free. This is a KHS mountain bike. This is a lousy testimony, isn't it?

My bicycle is nine months old. I rode it about every day at about six miles per day. The bike shop said the chain was bad. I complained . So the shop owner put on a new one for free. This is a KHS mountain bike. This is a lousy testimony, isn't it?

Not really. 9 months X 30=270 X 6 miles per=1620 miles. That is not too bad. A big part of how long a chain will last is what kind of care you give it. Lubed regularly, cleaned regularly, exposed to rain/water/sand/dirt/grit, will all cut down the life expectancy.

Wendy,
Have you considered one of the online catalogues like Performance or Nashbar?
Probably more selection of shoes of all types, styles, and price points from entry level on up. Sometimes they have blowout sales on really good stuff and their own name brand stuff is made by reputable mfgrs.

I will give that a shot. The pro shops near me are just far to expensive.

My wife has been riding a pair of Adidas Vuletana women's shoes for years and thinks they are pretty good. I have a pair of Adidas shoes that I use exclusively for cyclocross racing, and this is due to my wife's experience and the fact that they are cheap shoes. You can probably find them at either Nashbar or Performance (as mentioned above) or on Ebay...be forewarned, they tend to run a bit long so you might have to do some returning.

My brother actually just told me the the pro shop had Adidas on clearance and I blew him off I did not ever realize they were into cycling shoes. Go figure. I may have to make a run tomorrow. I am a little bitter about riding tomorrow the police are supposed to start a "ticket operation" ticketing anyone over 15mph, I am just hoping they are talking about during the day when all the kids and ignorant adults are on the trails not paying attention to oncoming traffic. We are done with our ride by 7:30 so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Onto shoes and pedals.

I'm with Wendy, I want to find something as cheaply as I can and my LBS is just too damn high (for some of the employees that is literal :biggrin:).

I would prefer to have mountain bike shoes so I can walk a little easier if I should need to and I have heard they are a touch cheaper at the entry level. I've checked out my LBS and the cheapest thing that had to offer was almost $200 that's just much more than I have spend. So I'm looking online but have NO idea what to look for. Also when it comes to pedals, how do I know they will fit my shoes? I'm so lost on this topic, it's embarrassing.

Scared?Shoooot, I have seen at least 3 stories of bikers being attacked by pumas, and 2 got killed. tell them the pumas were scared(I know most are, man, I'm just foolin' about). One guy managed to get out his knife and cut the big cat's throat, which got it off of him and saved his life. I think the beast lost its life that day. As mentioned, presence of mind takes precedence, but if you don't have any equalizers it's going to be even worse for you. Pepper spray works on most dogs, and it's small.

Tim,
There is nothing to be embarassed about-there's a lot of stuff out there and it's hard to keep up with it-especially if you're new.
Price wise, your LBS just can't compete with the catalogue warehouses-they usually don't have the space or $ to order such huge inventory and thus get the bulk discounts, so they usually carry a smaller stock of higher-end stuff, depending on how they see their market. Where the LBS blows away the big guys, is in the personal service they can provide. LBS owners and employees (at least here) are themselves avid cyclists and have personal experience with what they sell. They want your business and will be happy to educate you as well as they can. But then, the catalogue businesses also have full time technical assistance (techno-weenies) who you can speak to or chat with on line. Now, to over-simplify.....when you buy a set of pedals, they usually come with the shoe hardware you need to make your shoes snap in properly. When you buy shoes, they are usually clearly marked as to what pedal styles they are compatible with.
If you buy shoes and pedals from one of the mail/online order places, be tactful about asking your LBS to help you get them set up properly. Understandably, they have no love for those big guys and the business they lose to them.
I hope this helps-It's been a looong time since I've actually done any of this myself.

Tim,
There is nothing to be embarassed about-there's a lot of stuff out there and it's hard to keep up with it-especially if you're new.
Price wise, your LBS just can't compete with the catalogue warehouses-they usually don't have the space or $ to order such huge inventory and thus get the bulk discounts, so they usually carry a smaller stock of higher-end stuff, depending on how they see their market. Where the LBS blows away the big guys, is in the personal service they can provide. LBS owners and employees (at least here) are themselves avid cyclists and have personal experience with what they sell. They want your business and will be happy to educate you as well as they can. But then, the catalogue businesses also have full time technical assistance (techno-weenies) who you can speak to or chat with on line. Now, to over-simplify.....when you buy a set of pedals, they usually come with the shoe hardware you need to make your shoes snap in properly. When you buy shoes, they are usually clearly marked as to what pedal styles they are compatible with.
If you buy shoes and pedals from one of the mail/online order places, be tactful about asking your LBS to help you get them set up properly. Understandably, they have no love for those big guys and the business they lose to them.
I hope this helps-It's been a looong time since I've actually done any of this myself.

Well said. On-line retailers don't fix your bike. It's well worth having a good relationship with an LBS that has helpful and knowledgeable staff.

I have been riding for several years pretty seriously and do more than a bit of shopping on the internet but I still go out of my way to spend some $ at the LBS. There are some things that only they can do and it never hurts to develop some repore with them.

I had an old-timer tell me that by the time you see the cat, it's too late.

Not sure how he knew that, though...

Onto shoes and pedals.

As weird as it might sound, I wear sandals for most of my road biking. But here's the kicker: they're Lake cycling sandals set up for SPD cleats. The cool thing about sandals is that if it's cold, you can put on more socks, and they still fit, because you can just let the straps out...

Lake, Shimano, and now Keene all make cycling sandals. I know a lot of hard-core roadies who wear sandals. Just make sure you either wear socks (I use thin Smartwools) or a lot of really good sun screen on your feet...

I have Shimano SPD mountain bike cleats on both my road bike and my mountain bike...

Top Bottom