What's new

Facebook Rant

I've been on Facebook for a few years now, but the disappointments mount as I have joined separate closed groups. Maybe it's because as a longtime member here I'm used to the civility that prevails, but Facebook can really get nasty. To wit, I joined a group where sometimes various dietary approaches are discussed. Tempers flare as the packs of jackals attack each other. On another group of bicycle hobbyists, the mention of an e-bike will cause members to reign down verbal fire and brimstone against the person who thought to buy one. On yet another group that one might hope to be rather sedate--classical music fans--members throw slings and arrows of vituperation at others who disagree with them. Maybe I should stick with a winner and just hang around Badger and Blade.

Facebook is lame in my opinion. My H/S Class has Facebook for Greaduates, they buckle head still talking about the play Bye Bye birdie school did inn 1964.

Plus oibituariues off kids who are not kids, but old people who check out in life when you age is over 75.

I've been on Facebook for a few years now, but the disappointments mount as I have joined separate closed groups. Maybe it's because as a longtime member here I'm used to the civility that prevails, but Facebook can really get nasty. To wit, I joined a group where sometimes various dietary approaches are discussed. Tempers flare as the packs of jackals attack each other. On another group of bicycle hobbyists, the mention of an e-bike will cause members to reign down verbal fire and brimstone against the person who thought to buy one. On yet another group that one might hope to be rather sedate--classical music fans--members throw slings and arrows of vituperation at others who disagree with them. Maybe I should stick with a winner and just hang around Badger and Blade.
I still have a facebook account but am not really active there except in a fishing group and in a local city news group; even then I post sporadically. I stopped actively posting on my facebook page many years ago because I felt it was causing needless mental aggravation. Now I lurk there every now and again to see what's going on.

But I absolutely agree that the civility of the members in this group really make me think twice about other online groups.

I joined Facebook during the craze for whatever that farm" app was. I quit in ten minutes: I saw at once that I was the product, not the customer. I've never joined any other "social media" site (other than BnB), and I don't think I've missed a single thing.

f b ... full of unsavory characters and information harvesting and people who need let everyone know everything

I love it 💘

Last edited by a moderator:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am sometimes disappointed at the lack of civility, some of it my own, right here on Badger & Blade, so heaven knows how I would fare on Facebook; thankfully I will never find out 😃

Bike forums seem to be especially snarky everywhere except here.

The Trek’s are trash, specialized are garbage arguments are constant.The only bikes worth riding are ultralight composites made of some unknown material manufactured in a secret lab. God forbid if you don’t ride clipless, it’s a mortal sin punishable by death. Then comes the bashing of a new member who has the audacity to ask mph and distance. If you don’t ride at 20mph for 50 miles you should get rid of your road bike and buy a tricycle because you are a baby. And my favorite is you aren’t serious if you don’t send in a picture of your shaved legs clipped in. I had enough and quit visiting the bike forums.

I am sometimes disappointed at the lack of civility, some of it my own, right here on Badger & Blade, so heaven knows how I would fare on Facebook; thankfully I will never find out 😃

Get over it the world has changed, and if you want to change back go forget one person at a time. So much is lost in the was News is disseminated, as people no longer read Newspapers, they watch 24 x 7 x 375 News, read Blogs, much of which is not even check for accuracy.

Recall back in day supermarket tabloids were referred to as fake or made up News. Today the MSM is doing just that making up untruth to sell dumb people ideas, who think if it came from CNN, or Fox it has too be true.

I know it has been years where I live since I have seen a Satellite news Van running around town to cover a story.

Not even sure if they have field reporters going out chasing breaking News, and Feature News?

I'm a member of a few vaping related FB groups that are drama-free but they are relatively small and relate to bespoke or handmade stuff. I must also admit to enjoying an occasional 20 minutes of watching cat and dog reels.....

My nephew is H/S dropout, but say he is call of 1985 at the H/S he dropped out of. Guy does not work real job, he list occupation as FireFighhter/Medic, that is at local Volunteer Fire Dept. But he is not hero, is a Zero who's wife support him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been on Facebook for a few years now, but the disappointments mount as I have joined separate closed groups.Maybe I should stick with a winner and just hang around Badger and Blade.

Better yet become a contributor and get free valet parking, complimentary meals, room service and free drinks!!!

Well not all the free stuff actually, but you do get a cool contributor’s badge, access to the contributor’s forum and most of all, no pesky ads.

Joe Rogan said the other day that the current feeling about facebook is that it’s dead for the younger demographic. The thought is the majority of members are geezers now. I would have to say in many cases that’s correct. I have friends and relatives that spend an inordinate amount of time posting food, grandkids and dog pictures. I went on for a couple days and that’s the only way I know, so maybe I just have a very limited perspective. I closed my account when I got the information I needed about a business.

Last edited:
Bike forums seem to be especially snarky everywhere except here.

The Trek’s are trash, specialized are garbage arguments are constant.The only bikes worth riding are ultralight composites made of some unknown material manufactured in a secret lab. God forbid if you don’t ride clipless, it’s a mortal sin punishable by death. Then comes the bashing of a new member who has the audacity to ask mph and distance. If you don’t ride at 20mph for 50 miles you should get rid of your road bike and buy a tricycle because you are a baby. And my favorite is you aren’t serious if you don’t send in a picture of your shaved legs clipped in. I had enough and quit visiting the bike forums.
They just need to ride more and post less. :lol:

I nuked my Facebook account a few years back, couldn't be happier. It was generally a time drain filled with people who think the world just must know their thoughts on literally everything. Think it's done more harm than good for society. To each their own and all that but it's definitely not my cup of tea. All I really miss about it is some of the smoking marketplace deals.

They just need to ride more and post less. :lol:

I don’t know, maybe it’s the saddle or the spandex that keeps some of them irritated. It could be that getting all kitted up and only riding 10 minutes does it. 😋😋

I have to confess I was skeptical about gear until I did a 40 mile ride with no bike shorts and a t shirt. I was raw and sore. I listened and now I am the person I made fun of. There is a real reason for the gear

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
FB is, for sure, a treacherous place. My pet peeve is someone creating a post full of misinformation and then 100 people sharing the lies. Drives me crazy.

On the other hand, I have 400 friends on fb, and many are scattered across the country far enough that without fb I would have little to no contact most years. I also have many former students as friends and I love reading about their growing families as they marry and practice adulting.

I had a couple of rude high school friends who were rude on some subjects and told them I did not allow that on my wall. The next time it happened I unfriended them. I can also block posts for a month at a time from people who go on a particular rant, so there is definitely some control over what I see there. It's a very small part of my day, and often a crazy place, but I will miss it when I finally give up altogether.

I call it FAKEBOOK as it is suer of bad info, misleading info, is slanted, and last the rule of road are controlled by people who think they know what is best for others.

Like many things start out ok, and turning to crap after money, power, and greed took over.