What's new

First shave with Muhle R41 GS

Today was my first shave, with my new Muhle R41 GS shaver.
Since I did not know what to expect, I had one thing in mind, possible unpleasant incidents. But fortunately, this is not the case. There were no cuts, no redness. The shave went without incident, very smooth and extremely deep, three passes in the standard directions resulted in an absolute BBS. So deep that now almost 9 hours later, I still can't feel any new beard growth anywhere. In comparison, with my previous razors, no matter how well I shave, after 4-5 hours, new hairs are already showing.
In fact, now the face looked, literally, as if epilated.
I used Feather knife, TOBS sandalwood soap, Muhle XL 25mm brush. I tried to do a good preparation about the foam which became very thick, shiny and made peaks.
Perhaps, good preparation contributed to the pleasant shave, despite the aggressive razor.
The feeling when working with the R41 GS is very pleasant. The steel is very solid in the hand, and the workmanship itself is simply perfect. All elements are refined to the smallest detail. The steel is polished so well that one might think it is chrome, when in fact it is the original color of the steel. The razor is more like a surgical instrument than a shaving device.

In summary, I can say that I am very satisfied. My expectations completely met, I would even say a little more.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 125
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    995.9 KB · Views: 119
Nice. Have you tried the standard R41? I was wondering how the stainless version compared with that one.
No, I haven't tried it, but I've seen a lot of reviews that say the GS is more efficient, probably because of the small differences in head geometry compared to the regular version. This was the main reason I went for the more expensive version. Also, purely visually it looks much better than the chrome ones.
The R41 GS is my second Muhle shaver, after the R89. When I only had the R89, I thought it looked great, but now that I have a base to compare it to, I can see that the steelwork has been done much more precisely.
In fact, the differences in detail are only noticeable when I see the two razors in person. Honestly, when I looked at their appearance online, I didn't see anything different.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Congratulations, enjoy!

Some people reported quite a difference between zamac and steel version of the R41. There is indeed a slightly different feel, most likely due to chrome vs uncoated steel, but I didn't notice major differences, in fact I also would prefer the stainless steel version.

There was also this infamous "2011" version of the R41 which was reportedly beastly, some people might still have it, my cap broke off throm the thread, unfortunately. But actually, the somewhat milder 2013 version is a better design, with more blade support and a longer cap, less "chatter" and similar results.

^ I just added the whole paragraph because... the 2011 version always shows up sooner or later in a R41 thread. Hmm..! :)

I bought the GS but I couldn't bring myself to use it. I have the zamak and considered it a needless purchase.

Connaught had the zamak R41 head as a replacement part for under $20 at one time. I had some handles already. So, that was a fairly inexpensive way to try the R41. Turns out, I liked the zamak version. Even if it has to be replaced several years from now, that is still a lot less than the stainless version.

The razor is more like a surgical instrument than a shaving device.
This right here is why, even with severe irritation (you know the kind, where new whiskers continue to aggravate your already-painful irritation), you can get a good shave from an R41 (or a well-made clone) without doing even more damage to your face, thereby actually alleviating some of the pain. It's like a frickin' scalpel in skilled hands, and you can still get a great shave from it even when the prior day's shave really sucked.

I would recommend a different handle though. That GS handle is a beast, and I don't mean that in a good way.

The R41 GS is a fine tool; I am fortunate to have one as well. I agree with the previous poster that the stock handle isn't my favorite. It's pretty (and heavy) but not the best pairing for me with the stainless steel R41 head. Instead, I got an R108 (which is an R89 with a tortoiseshell handle) and I paired the tortoiseshell handle with the R41 GS head. The tortoiseshell handle is relatively light, and this combination works well for me.

In fact, exactly the weight and size were some of the factors that provoked me to choose a steel version of the P41. We like the solid feel and the size that matches my physical measurements. In practice, shaving is done entirely by the weight of the razor, without any additional pressure. I like that and wouldn't want to change it.

About shaving itself. I have read and heard many comments that this was not an everyday shaver. This begs the question, how did the people who draw these conclusions shave the day before? If they did it right, the next day, they just wouldn't have a beard to shave. After shaving yesterday, all day long, I can't feel any new beard growth. The new hairs begin to be felt only when the first 24 hours pass after shaving. So, daily shaving with P41 is practically pointless.
I make an important clarification here that the shave was really precise and detailed. As the last pass (contra) is against the hair. I say this because I see that according to many people, including some of those who make thematic videos, a contra means simply pulling the razor up. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's against hair. When the razor is really directed against the hair, (the direction is different for everyone, according to the way of growth) GS leaves nothing, it cuts below the skin level, which I don't know if it's good, but it's a fact.

Today was my first shave, with my new Muhle R41 GS shaver.
Since I did not know what to expect, I had one thing in mind, possible unpleasant incidents. But fortunately, this is not the case. There were no cuts, no redness. The shave went without incident, very smooth and extremely deep, three passes in the standard directions resulted in an absolute BBS. So deep that now almost 9 hours later, I still can't feel any new beard growth anywhere. In comparison, with my previous razors, no matter how well I shave, after 4-5 hours, new hairs are already showing.
In fact, now the face looked, literally, as if epilated.
I used Feather knife, TOBS sandalwood soap, Muhle XL 25mm brush. I tried to do a good preparation about the foam which became very thick, shiny and made peaks.
Perhaps, good preparation contributed to the pleasant shave, despite the aggressive razor.
The feeling when working with the R41 GS is very pleasant. The steel is very solid in the hand, and the workmanship itself is simply perfect. All elements are refined to the smallest detail. The steel is polished so well that one might think it is chrome, when in fact it is the original color of the steel. The razor is more like a surgical instrument than a shaving device.

In summary, I can say that I am very satisfied. My expectations completely met, I would even say a little more.
Excellent! another shaver that has discovered the R41. Once you have found the best combination of blades and soaps that work for you and your skin you might end up using the R41 as your daily driver...once you fine tune your technique with the right soap and blade it's almost impossible to even think of using another razor😀

Excellent! another shaver that has discovered the R41. Once you have found the best combination of blades and soaps that work for you and your skin you might end up using the R41 as your daily driver...once you fine tune your technique with the right soap and blade it's almost impossible to even think of using another razor😀
Ever since I've had the Muhle R41 GS, I've used it and only it. I love the uncompromising shave it gives and I'm unlikely to consider another razor anytime soon. Proof that over a week ago I bought a Muhle Rocca R94 and I haven't even tried it yet, I just put it away in the cupboard.
After every shave with the R41 GS, I achieve absolute BBS, and with each subsequent shave, I achieve it easier and faster, without skin irritation. I shave every 2 days so this type of razor fits my needs perfectly.

Regarding the combination of soaps and blades, I found that Proraso's soap worked the worst for me. It creates a sensation of dryness and pulling, even though the foam looks sufficiently moist. All the other soaps I've tried provide a perfect feel and shave. So I'm just ditching Proraso, which isn't a big loss for me.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I never shaved better than during the time when I was exclusively the R41.
Most other razors are more forgiving, but the R41 gives plenty of warning and teaches good shaving habits like few other razors. Actually, I even can't think of one right now.

After shaving with the R41 for a while and see them listing the Game Changer 1.05 and the Lupo .95 OC as "top aggressive" on the Italian Barber razor scale, you just start giggling. :straight:

Most other razors are more forgiving, but the R41 gives plenty of warning and teaches good shaving habits like few other razors. Actually, I even can't think of one right now.

After shaving with the R41 for a while and see them listing the Game Changer 1.05 and the Lupo .95 OC as "top aggressive" on the Italian Barber razor scale, you just start giggling. :straight:
That's right! I would describe it as efficient rather than aggressive. It shaves everything off very deeply which doesn't just make BBS, it makes it last all day.

I've achieved BBS with much softer razors, but after only a few hours, I start to feel the hairs already standing up, by the end of the work day, the stubble already all over my face.

yes exactly! I'm totally with you on that :a14::a14:

Nice. Have you tried the standard R41? I was wondering how the stainless version compared with that one.
I believe the GS is based on the 2011 version as it came out in that year - or 2013 perhaps, but definitely based on a different R41 design than is available in Zamak today. So technically it should be different from the latest 2022/2023 Zamak version which is milder (but still a R41 so it’s relatively speaking of course).

Enjoy your razor @horizon it looks stunning!

Guido

Top Bottom