What's new

First 20 guys get a FREE sample!

For container I like a bottle with pump dispenser that way you get the same amount with each pump. Just my 2 cent. Will keep an eye out for the balms when they become available.

Let me ask - what type of dispenser would be your preference guys: A pump dispenser or a "rocker" type of cap. That is, you push down on one side of it and it pops open the other side with a small hole in the lid. Which would you like to see?

It is a hard choice as both containers are good for different reasons. The pump gets you more consistent amounts each time but then it becomes a pain when you are running low. The "rocker" give more variability on the amount of product you get but then it can be easier to get the last bits of product. I like the rocker myself. I can get more control over the amount of product I want with out having to deal with half pumps. Plus since the mechanism for product delivery is easier you don't have to worry about any contamination issues with the spring in the pump. I would also think you would lose less product to the container as well.

I vote for the rocker cap also. Might keep your packaging cost down a bit also! Either way, I am very anxious for this to be available..

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
You said you would send me a sample.

I am posting this to get it into my subscriptions.

I would be happy to try this aromatic stuff.

The rocker lid is a good choice.

I've used my sample another few times with the same nice performance as before. As the temps have gone up a bunch in the last week, I haven't been using it. I didn't care for the balm feel in the humidity and heat.

Looking forward to trying the lime scent when it comes out.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I have used it completely now. The last time I used a small amount to close the lid.

It is a skin softener, I think. I am 69 years old and not the best at smelling thing. You must ask the others if the smell is pleasant.

When I use it I can see that my shave is not BBS, but it a DFS. It seems to be a real good after shave. Maybe I should come back again.

Let me ask - what type of dispenser would be your preference guys: A pump dispenser or a "rocker" type of cap. That is, you push down on one side of it and it pops open the other side with a small hole in the lid. Which would you like to see?

I use to use a Gillette balm. Now I am patiently awaiting this product. I have tried the balm 3 times as of now. (just shaved) It is definitely a winner in my book. After the aftershave, I put 3 little dabs on my face in a triangle pattern. The three dots went a long way and covered my face and neck perfectly. The scent couldn't be a better match for bay rum. Not to strong and not too light. Honestly at this point I think you should bottle it and sell it now. The Gillette stuff felt kinda greasy every time I used it. This stuff makes my skin feel super soft. And of course the scent is worlds better.

Cant wait for my two favorite scents Lime and North. I'm sure I will just buy them all. Also I voted for the "rocker" cap. More reliable due to less moving parts and easier to control amount. (very important IMO)

Thanks Captain keep it up.:thumbup:

Yo, Captain! Any idea on a release date? Or did I miss something??

Thanks for checking in with us Savager. We hope to release it before Christmas. Unfortunately our release date keeps getting pushed back due to availability of ingredients. I can assure you that we are doing all we can. Most importantly we want to take our time and do it right the first time. I'll be candid and say it isn't going nearly as fast for me as I like but am confident this product will be worth the wait. It has terrific performance and is aloe vera based, so all natural.

Thanks for the update Captain. I had put away my sample for the summer since I wanted to save it for the colder weather, and just recently I started using it again. The balm performed fantastically. I really appreciated the moisturizer, as my face can get a little dry some days in the cold. I'd love to get the balm in Lime scent. Are you planning on having all the scents ready at the same time Cap? Or just the Bay Rum at first?

Thanks for the update Captain. I had put away my sample for the summer since I wanted to save it for the colder weather, and just recently I started using it again. The balm performed fantastically. I really appreciated the moisturizer, as my face can get a little dry some days in the cold. I'd love to get the balm in Lime scent. Are you planning on having all the scents ready at the same time Cap? Or just the Bay Rum at first?

If I recall correctly, the intent is to release all the scents at launch. Rather than to stagger them out such as the soaps were.

Yes, all will be released at the same time. We are having hundreds of bottles of each scent done - Bay Rum, Lime, North, Sandalwood. Many of these will be shipped to retailers, of course, thus the quantity. For a variety of reasons we had to go with a pump dispenser on top which I have used. It is ideal, dispensing just the right amount with one pump for each side of the face. You just can't get better than that. The bottle holds four ounces and is a tall amber colored hard plastic. We are working on the label this week. So hang with us, it will be worth it.

Captain - Just out of curiosity, why did you go with the pump dispenser? (If you feel like disclosing the reason...)

Captain - Just out of curiosity, why did you go with the pump dispenser? (If you feel like disclosing the reason...)

Sure, no problem. What drove the decision was that this new product line of balms had to visually resemble our existing line of aftershaves. The type of plastic bottle we chose is what is referred to as PET. It does not contain BPA and is used world-wide for single serve products such as soft drinks, water and juices. This is a hard plastic rather than a soft plastic seen in a shampoo bottle for instance. Our bottle specifically is thicker walled than a water bottle for instance.

Only a PET plastic bottle could give us the visual look we needed - high gloss. A soft plastic bottle cannot impart a high gloss. So when you use a PET plastic bottle, squeezing is not a good idea because the plastic can actually crack. When we realized the bottles could crack under use we knew that we needed to use a pump dispenser rather than a rocker style. More goes into such a small detail than you might think. If you pick up and hold a bottle with rocker style top on it, you tip it over to dispense and you squeeze the bottle as you do so. A pump dispenser makes it necessary for you to hold it upright and the bottle is not squeezed to dispense. Probably more than you wanted to know but it was a multi-layered decision on our part.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Captain - Thank you for the detailed explanation! I love hearing the trials and tribulations of product development.

Captain - Thank you for the detailed explanation! I love hearing the trials and tribulations of product development.

Glad to have helped, there is a LOT that goes into simple things that you may not give much thought to such as the label. I had to chuckle recently when I read what a guy wrote about having your own business. "It is great, you get to choose which 18 hours a day you work!" It is humorous because there is a degree of truth in there.

The 18 hours a day shall continue until Captain's Choice has a product in the shave den of every man in America, thus saith The Captain. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom