What's new

GIVEAWAY! Volunteers sought! Free samples for evaluation - step right up!

I used the B sample today. It has more complexity than the A sample. The B sample has a hint of musk, which is nice.
I don't know why, but I prefer the face feel of the A sample better. The A seems like more of a summer fragrance. The B seems to be suitable for year round use.

As I've said, both of these aftershaves are winners and would be great offerings. Each stands on their own merit and are suitably unique.

I would be inclined to buy the A. It's different than any other splash I own, and it's very pleasant.

I just tried B. My wife likes it better. I say you don't have to live in a black-and-white world. They can both be good for different reasons.

I can't say how the mass market will like them, but yeah, they are good summertime scents.

B is coconut, A is pineapple. I could deal with them being a bit lighter, too. The Florida water I like is very very light. I don't have to rinse my hands after putting it on. It's mostly gone in 20 min, and for some reason I'm liking that. I think Duru is light like FW, but I haven't tried it yet. They also use it as a hand sanitizer. Right now the coconut is conflicting with the salad I'm eating, but if you put it on before work you'll be driving anyway. Somehow I have it in my head that summer scents should be very light.

This is taking me back to when I was younger and had a surfboard. Board wax comes in all kinds of flavors from bubblegum to coconut. I say I had a surfboard. I didn't say I ever got up on it lol.

One of the waxes was called Sex Wax. I think bricks of wax were like a buck. Fun summer beachy smells. I also like suntan lotion and OFF! bug spray. And neoprene wet suit rubber smell.

I think B could grow on me with A for variety.
I think you just gave the Captain an idea for the next AS scent - Neoprene Wet Suit Rubber!

THANK you, guys so very much for your candid feedback. It has been most helpful as we narrow the focus on our next scent formulation. We have decided to eliminate "A" at this point.

Here is the next step: I am going to start with "B" and refine it somewhat into what we will label as "C". My hope is to have "C" developed soon. At that point I want to reopen it for volunteers to compare "B" against the new "C" and hear from you on it.

If you want to participate we would love to have you do so. If "B" was not appealing to you this new one will be a variation on "B" and you may wish to not continue (and save The Captain some postage!).

Stay tuned here and we will update as able!

Let's do this, guys. Go ahead and PM me your address if you wish to have me send you this new formulation. Even if you did not participate in the first round you are welcome to join in. There is a limit to how many we have, of course.

You will receive "B" as well as "C" to evaluate.

So that you are aware - I have incorporated feedback from here as well as elsewhere in amending to get to "C". My hope is to be able to ship those two samples by mid-week.

Please come back to this thread to share feedback and feel at liberty to be candid, not a problem!

~ The Captain

I am a fan of Venture and neither of these will supplant that as my first choice in the Captain’s Choice line. Venture smells to me like boozy (in a good way) pinapple.

A - Orange Blossom special. Not being near orange blossoms IRL - this is what I think they smell like. Not for me; I don’t want to smell like Florida. I am ok with floral scents - love rose and lavendar; but not this A.

B - More complex. I thought initially eucalyptus at first; but think it may be Vetiver. What ever it is the sweet notes fade and then another scent sticks around. I will have to try again to get the sweet notes.

Sorry to be so late in reporting. I had to travel. Thanks Scott. Trying these brought me joy!

I wanted to give another follow-up also and honestly I think I prefered A...But , I like the way B smells too.. There was something that set A apart from the other BUT , I look forward to trying C if I can be a part of that testing too....

I think I’ll sit out the B/C testing, as the extra scent in B hasn’t been well received in my household. I like it just fine. Thanks for letting me participate; I’ve enjoyed the process.

Since you’re not continuing with A, do you mind revealing what’s in it? My simple nose said a one-note pineapple but others are picking up all sorts of things I didn’t.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have actually been leaning more towards "A" over the last few days, not only because it's wife-approved. The B scent is more complex but it tends a little towards syrupy as I've gotten used to it, where A is lighter and brighter.

As to longevity, neither is terribly strong which is what I prefer from a splash. But when I used B the other day, i splashed it on pretty liberally in the morning, and I could definitely smell it when I was working out that evening. However it must not have a ton of projection because I got no comments from Mrs. Scandalous. And she did, in fact, kiss me. So...take that for what it is.
You are a MUCH braver man than I my friend!

I can get away with calling my lovely bride "the War Department" but if I called her "Mrs Scandalous" I would wake up dead!

On the other hand....
I used the A sample today. It's starting to grow on me. Initially, I felt the B sample was the winner. Today, I'm leaning toward the A sample. The wife unit likes the A!

IMO, these two aftershaves are more different than they are similar. Each can stand on its own, I wouldn't consider these either/or, because both are very good.

BTW, it may be a small consideration, but I like the face feel of A better.
If I ever call her the "wife unit" I will only call her that over the phone, because I can't imagine the misery she would inflict upon me!

Just ask @dmshaver : I think even HE is afraid of her, and his real name is Bruce Wayne doggone!

As to the samples, I have another thought or two: as much as I truly despise the phrase "YMMV" I must say that in my own life "olfactory stimulation" is my one exception to my self imposed refusal to use the dreaded phrase....

My wife and I both enjoy coconuts, probably because she married a nut? She likes the way they taste and smell. I am not a big fan of the smell, especially on my body.

We both enjoy pineapple, both the smell and the taste. Unlike a coconut, I would have no problem rubbing a slice of pineapple across my incredibly handsome face, which, oddly enough, has my incredibly handsome nose perched nearly perfectly placed above my mouth.

So, while the lovely War Department and I both enjoy tropical types of fruit, only one of us would enjoy throwing a coconut cream pie into that incredibly handsome face.

Did I mention that I have an incredibly handsome face? I can imagine the good Captain making the "Choice" of Yours Truly as his spokesperson on the bottle of the pineapple aftershave, much like Arko uses the image of my father on the best inexpensive shave soap in the werld!

Since you’re not continuing with A, do you mind revealing what’s in it? My simple nose said a one-note pineapple but others are picking up all sorts of things I didn’t.
It has tangerine E.O. in it that "B" does not. That is one of many fragrances but is dominant when used. The tangerine had issues with blending so I was not sad to see the volunteers lean more toward "B".

Tangerine? I never would have guessed. I still get a stronger coconut type scent but now that you mention it there is a bit of a vitamin C tablet vibe on top. I still prefer B though. We get exposed to so many blends that I imagine people's memories of scents get blurred---ask someone what sound a bald eagle makes...

Has the Captain given any thought for a tabacco scent in the future? Many a ship carried tabacco and isn't a pipe sort of iconic for an old sea dog?

I shaved last night and used Sample B. I quite liked it. I think that is saying something because I have 7 aftershaves to choose from. I think it goes good in a rotation, or as a standalone if you really like coconut, which I do. I was drinking coconut water straight out of the can there a few months back, but it's really not good for you to get too much of it, which I was. Lots of saturated fat in it. So I quit.

This AS is totally indicated for a mellow shave esp. if you are an old hippie like me lol.

It has tangerine E.O. in it that "B" does not. That is one of many fragrances but is dominant when used. The tangerine had issues with blending so I was not sad to see the volunteers lean more toward "B".
Yeah I do tend to use B more. In fact I think I only tried A once, and when I think of using one of your samples, B comes up. So for me maybe more than analyzing I just go with what pops into my head for a choice. But I def. will use up the A because I did like it that one time I used it. I just think B draws my attention better.

SR-71.jpg

We have the samples of "B" and "C" packed up. They ship out at dawn's light in one of these birds to ensure fast delivery.

If there are others who wish to compare these two prototype aftershaves we still have a few left. Just send us your address and The Captain will get two small vials on the way! After trying them, come back to this thread and tell us what you think!

Last edited:
I used A for last night's shave. I'm so far planning on using it for tomorrow's shave too. It takes a little changing of my thinking from pineapple you eat to pineapple you put on your face, but I think it goes for me. You'd think it would be sticky liked canned pineapple syrup but it's not, not at all.

Someone was saying earlier that B seemed "heavy," I think by comparison? That's exactly what I was thinking too, but I didn't know if that was derogatory. Yeah I would say it's a heavier scent but it's not sticky on your face like I feared at first. For me, they are interesting scents.

At any rate, I had a happy shave last night and A hit the spot and I def. enjoyed it.

Classic and experimental SOTD - Sea Ice Lime soap and C. With Shavemac badger, Cayuen bowl, feather and Slim.

I like C the best of A, B, C. I may not be a super smeller - but I think I pick up coconut, pineapple and vetiver. Caribbean feel for me. More scent notes than B and a longer song in harmony.

Thanks Scott!

I have used the C sample twice, and it hits the sweet spot for me. I would purchase a bottle of this scent.

A was pure fruit punch. B introduced a more complex scent with a "cologne" element that I prefer.

C takes B just a touch further and makes it perfect. I am not a sophisticated scent-ologist but here is my take: To me, there is a subtle something that I can only describe as cedar wood. Perhaps it is vetiver as @MountainBear suggested. It truly tempers the fruitiness and rounds out the experience.

Received my samples today, and my wife and I did a sniff test. We both like C. To my nose, there are subtle differences, slightly toned down fruit scent, something in the background, very nice. Will be trying Sample C tomorrow after my Sunday-go-to-meeting shave.

Top Bottom