What's new

Finding a more narrow brush...

I currently have a Parker Silvertip. When I use it, it blossoms (not even sure that's the right term, as a newbie) quite a lot when I lather my face. I like the feel but would like a brush that is more narrow and not push out to 3" or 4" in diameter.

I suspect that's normal, correct?

Is there a methodology to finding a brush that does not get so wide? I do have a goatee and trying to shave around it with a DE has been challenging, but with a brush that goes so wide, I just completely cover my goatee as well. Probably no way around it, but if there is a brush or a way to look for certain characteristics in brush selection to find a more narrow brush, I would love to hear from the experienced members of this forum.

Thanks.
Richard

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

My Yaqi Silvertip below.

New, then bloomed.

IMG_2383.jpg IMG_2399.jpg

Badger brushes bloom when they get wet and tend to stay that way. Perfectly normal.

I think I remember reading that @Raven Koenes slides his inside a toilet paper roll so they keep their shape as they dry, but I'm not 100% sure.

If it becomes a bigger issue, you might look at a synthetic.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Welcome to the forum!

My Yaqi Silvertip below.

New, then bloomed.

View attachment 876601 View attachment 876602

Badger brushes bloom when they get wet and tend to stay that way. Perfectly normal.

I think I remember reading that @Raven Koenes slides his inside a toilet paper roll so they keep their shape as they dry, but I'm not 100% sure.

If it becomes a bigger issue, you might look at a synthetic.
I Let it dry all day. In the evening I put it in a toilet paper roll for a couple of hours. Then I take the roll off and put the brush back on my shelf. It works. :001_smile

2nd Mick's call. Whatever the knot diameter, get something which is maybe 1/4 less than 2x that number in loft. (I'm offering rough guideline and the numbers may be nearly extreme to illustrate the idea.) The Duke series in Simpson is a very good example by the way. Feels like a wall of soft bristle tips which are dense and firm to the face. May take you a bit to get used to loading it after you buy, but the pay off is out there when you get it down.

Oh, and I was thinking, for the health of your entire face, I can't think of a better thing than cleaning in and through a beard (goatee) regularly when you shave. A good brush & shave soap would help keep the skin healthy underneath. At the same time I know you'll want to clear the soap when you shave, and that coverage might be a first rinse off and lather before bringing razor to face.

Sounds like you are after a short loft brush for face lathering

Duke 2 for you?

proxy.php

2nd Mick's call. Whatever the knot diameter, get something which is maybe 1/4 less than 2x that number in loft. (I'm offering rough guideline and the numbers may be nearly extreme to illustrate the idea.) The Duke series in Simpson is a very good example by the way. Feels like a wall of soft bristle tips which are dense and firm to the face. May take you a bit to get used to loading it after you buy, but the pay off is out there when you get it down.

Oh, and I was thinking, for the health of your entire face, I can't think of a better thing than cleaning in and through a beard (goatee) regularly when you shave. A good brush & shave soap would help keep the skin healthy underneath. At the same time I know you'll want to clear the soap when you shave, and that coverage might be a first rinse off and lather before bringing razor to face.

+3. A little shorter loft, with a bulb shaped knot. Maybe even a smaller knot. One of my favorites is a 21 mm Shavemac. Small in most folks opinions, but I like the control. Less soap in my ears!

Since you wear some facial hair, you might be able to go even smaller.

The Duke II is a good call, or a cheaper option would be a Whipped Dog Silvertip set 5mm lower than standard. I believe from memory that Larry at Whipped Dog will do this for very little extra cost, and the quality of his brushes is pretty high.

I currently have a Parker Silvertip. When I use it, it blossoms (not even sure that's the right term, as a newbie) quite a lot when I lather my face. I like the feel but would like a brush that is more narrow and not push out to 3" or 4" in diameter.

I suspect that's normal, correct?

Is there a methodology to finding a brush that does not get so wide? I do have a goatee and trying to shave around it with a DE has been challenging, but with a brush that goes so wide, I just completely cover my goatee as well. Probably no way around it, but if there is a brush or a way to look for certain characteristics in brush selection to find a more narrow brush, I would love to hear from the experienced members of this forum.

Thanks.
Richard

Welcome to B&B, Sir Richard!

As mentioned above, I second the nomination of a Simpson Duke or similar!

D.R. Harris Arlington, Feather Artist Club, September 11, 2017.jpg

Welcome to B&B, Sir Richard!

As mentioned above, I second the nomination of a Simpson Duke or similar!

View attachment 878646
I gave up on my Parker Silvertip for now...the loft is so darn long. I ended up purchasing the Simpson Special S1 Best Badger. With a loft of only 40mm, I enjoy that much more than the 55mm+ loft with Parker. I like the Parker brush, but I cannot seem to find a lower loft Parker. I tried the Simpson one time so far and really liked it. Even though it was slightly more "prickly", I couldn't tell if that was due to the "best" vs "silvertip" or simply due to the shorter loft. I'm sure it's a combination of both, but I'm not sure which drives it the most...but that said, it's enjoyable and no regrets. Once I get used to that a bit more, I'll move up to a different Simpson as I do like the feel of the handle as well.

Top Bottom