What's new

Finding my Semogue SOC Mistura too harsh/abrasiveness when splayed. Recommendations for a different brush?

I have a SOC Mistura and SOC Finest with cherry wood handles. The Mistura is definitely more firm, but I would not call it harsh, more pleasantly scrubby. Agree with @BigJ that your brush probably needs more use. Semogue boars can take awhile to break in, 20 shaves is not much. Let's say 40+ uses. You want the boar hair tips to split, that makes them much softer. Be sure to soak the Mistura knot for at least a few minutes before shaving with it. It will help soften it.

I'm confused by the term "splay". You don't have to mash the brush into your face to get a good lather. Lather is actually made at the tips. You only need a small amount of pressure for this. I'd also suggest, while pressing lightly, to move the brush in straight line motions, horizontal, vertical, diagonal, etc. Note this is not the same as so-called painting strokes. Just don't go round in circles like you are mixing cake batter, it's unnecessary.
Thanks for the advice!

Regarding badgers, I’ve recently figured out that what most gentlemen here consider a “good scrub” for me is actually the equivalent of peeling my face off with asphalt. (Simpson best I’m looking at you)

That’s why I’m a boar man. Once they break in, it’s indeed a good and soft scrub, not a porcupine needle abrasion (hello again best badger).

I’ve never tried a Silvertip though and probably never will. Maybe I’ll change my mind. Who knows…

Regarding badgers, I’ve recently figured out that what most gentlemen here consider a “good scrub” for me is actually the equivalent of peeling my face off with asphalt. (Simpson best I’m looking at you)

That’s why I’m a boar man. Once they break in, it’s indeed a good and soft scrub, not a porcupine needle abrasion (hello again best badger).

I’ve never tried a Silvertip though and probably never will. Maybe I’ll change my mind. Who knows…
Funny! What's your favourite boar brush?

Hi,

I have a SOC Mistura, which I have used about 20 times, but I find it to be a bit too harsh/abrasive when I splay it. I'm not sure if the cause of this is the badger hair, or the boar hair, or the overall density?

The brush feels like it takes a lot of pressure to splay, so the amount of the pressure I'm putting on it could be contributing to the harshness/abrasiveness I'm experiencing.

I'm considering buying a SOC boar (I'm very partial to wooden handles), to see if it isn't as harsh as my Mistura (obviously it may take some break in time). I see there are some cheaper wooden handled Semogue boar brushes too (1250 & 1800). Would be open to a badger brush, but I don't like brushes that are too floppy.

Do you have thoughts/advice regarding my situation?

Thanks!

Just curious, why would you 'splay' a brush?
I never felt the need to splay a brush, neither when loading nor on the face.

I can imagine the mistura being not the ideal brush to splay as well.
It is and should be quite firm.

As for a suggestion, if synthetics are an option, a Muhle has a 'german' type knot that is usually less dense.
It might better fit to your preferences.

If you ever have the chance to try a selected silvertip by Semogue, my guess is that you'll be pleasantly surprised!

The brush feels like it takes a lot of pressure to splay, so the amount of the pressure I'm putting on it could be contributing to the harshness/abrasiveness I'm experiencing.
I have read very good suggestions and advice from other brothers. One thing I could add is that perhaps (if you haven’t already) to start lathering from the chin rather than the cheek. My chin acts as a natural splay point for my boar and stiffer brushes so that it splays without exerting much pressure. That way the rotation motion stays soft while I also have splayed the brush.

And I dip the tips in my bowl water during lathering to arrive at a good consistency. It also helps to soften any harder bristles (besides the pre soak of course).

Best,

Guido

Funny! What's your favourite boar brush?
Proraso pro. Wonderful brush once broken in. I have a banded omega that is crazy soft, unbelievable. Also a favorite.
If you ever have the chance to try a selected silvertip by Semogue, my guess is that you'll be pleasantly surprised!
You may be right. But the cost of a 100% soft badger kind of keeps me away. That can change of course.

It’s hard to forget that for 1/5 of the price you can have a pillow soft boar.

No prickly hairs poking you, no scratchy feeling and no brush burn.

Last edited:

Wow - All my Simpson Bests have been superb. I've experienced pokiness, but only from Synthetics...
I've had 2 Pures which have softened over time to where I cannot distinguish between them all.

Maybe I have just been fortunate in that regard

Proraso pro. Wonderful brush once broken in. I have a banded omega that is crazy soft, unbelievable. Also a favorite.

You may be right. But the cost of a 100% soft badger kind of keeps me away. That can change of course.

This is true however. I love my boars and they have been slowly moving heavier into my rotation.
The Omega Proraso is definitely a good brush, one of my favorites

Wow - All my Simpson Bests have been superb. I've experienced pokiness, but only from Synthetics...
I've had 2 Pures which have softened over time to where I cannot distinguish between them all.

Maybe I have just been fortunate in that regard

This is true however. I love my boars and they have been slowly moving heavier into my rotation.
The Omega Proraso is definitely a good brush, one of my favorites
Our faces and sensitivities are indeed a complex thing.

I have 2 in best and I can only face lather with them if I haven’t shaved in 3 days or more. And even so, they exfoliate to a point I can definitely tell afterwards.

And most of my face lathering with them are actually chin lathering. I just can’t handle the tips and the needle poking sensation.

Just curious, why would you 'splay' a brush?
I never felt the need to splay a brush, neither when loading nor on the face.

I can imagine the mistura being not the ideal brush to splay as well.
It is and should be quite firm.

As for a suggestion, if synthetics are an option, a Muhle has a 'german' type knot that is usually less dense.
It might better fit to your preferences.
I seem to remember experiences where, when I had splayed brushes on my face while lathering (as opposed to just painting the lather on), it had resulted in a closer, more irritation-free shave. I feel like I've seen many other people echo this sentiment too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have read very good suggestions and advice from other brothers. One thing I could add is that perhaps (if you haven’t already) to start lathering from the chin rather than the cheek. My chin acts as a natural splay point for my boar and stiffer brushes so that it splays without exerting much pressure. That way the rotation motion stays soft while I also have splayed the brush.

And I dip the tips in my bowl water during lathering to arrive at a good consistency. It also helps to soften any harder bristles (besides the pre soak of course).

Best,

Guido
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I seem to remember experiences where, when I had splayed brushes on my face while lathering (as opposed to just painting the lather on), it had resulted in a closer, more irritation-free shave. I feel like I've seen many other people echo this sentiment too.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I know it's easy for me to say... I don't have your face (that would be cumbersome), but I'd try to give it some time. You can always soak it... towel dry it, let it dry fully... and do that cycle a few times to speed up the break-in process. My two Misturas felt perfect on my face after a few months of use.... I only sold them because I feel in love with larger knots.... 26mm is my minimum these days.

I know it's easy for me to say... I don't have your face (that would be cumbersome), but I'd try to give it some time. You can always soak it... towel dry it, let it dry fully... and do that cycle a few times to speed up the break-in process. My two Misturas felt perfect on my face after a few months of use.... I only sold them because I feel in love with larger knots.... 26mm is my minimum these days.
The Taj Mistura I bought from you is one of my favorite brushes. I’ve been tempted to get a Mistura Torga or a custom from Rudy now that he carries the Mistura knots.

synthetic.......$15 will fix your problem:eek2:
I bought a Yaqi Sagrada Familia after someone recommended it on my other similar post (I think it may have been you). I found the Yaqi brush to require too much pressure to splay on my face, but even more undesirable was how this issue affected loading hard soaps. If I put any pressure at all when I swirl on the hard soap, the bristles kind of lock into place and just twist (don't actually move over the soap). The amount of pressure required to make it splay on the soap, and therefore to avoid this phenomenon, is an amount which is akin to a workout - not really my cup of tea.

Do you have a recommendation for a synthetic that is not as difficult to splay? I'd happily try it out. I do want a brush that can load up from a hard soap though. I've been looking at the Muhle STF brushes as they seem to be highly rated, but really expensive.

Last edited:

No prickly hairs poking you, no scratchy feeling and no brush burn.
Know of any wooden handled boar brushes that you'd recommend? If not, I think I'll pickup a Proraso Pro.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Taj Mistura I bought from you is one of my favorite brushes. I’ve been tempted to get a Mistura Torga or a custom from Rudy now that he carries the Mistura knots.
I'm so glad it found a loving home.... It really is a great brush.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Know of any wooden handled boar brushes that you'd recommend? If not, I think I'll pickup a Proraso Pro.
You really remind me of my first few months here.... I only had one soap... and one brush. I started the brush hunt, as you are doing. I ended up with 23 brushes over a couple month period. I'm down to 11 now... 7 badgers and 4 boars. I kept all the Zenith boars I bought and love them. They are a bit more expensive but I love how they feel.. right out of the box.... but you might like something softer immediately. After they break in.... truly wonderful face feel. Again.... You might end up liking a different face feel than I do.... and it might take you a few brushes until you discover what you like the best....

That's part of the fun... learning what we like. It can get costly, but you seem to have a good head on your shoulders so you should be fine.

I find my Semogue 1305 to be very easy to splay out...after it was broken in. Cant remember how long it took exactly but 20 uses or so.
I personally prefer a firmer brush so dont pull the 1305 out very often. I find it too soft.

Jay

Top Bottom