What's new

Finally bought an Ark

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Got this Washita today. Its really soft (for a washita) and cuts like a mad man. Pretty cool stone.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 148
Got this Washita today. Its really soft (for a washita) and cuts like a mad man. Pretty cool stone.
Mechanic's Friend... I wonder if they used a softer/faster grade for those. It says "For Mechanics and General ?Woodworkers?", so maybe it's not as fine of a stone as other Washitas, but like you say, cut's faster.
You should do a video comparison of The Mechanic's Friend vs. a Lily White, both freshly prepared. When my Lily White was freshly lapped, it cut (what I would consider to be) very quickly for such a fine stone.
6"x2"?

I dig Norton's no frills stamping and branding from this era. As an added bonus, those boxes stick out like sore thumbs at flea markets

David

Mechanic's Friend... I wonder if they used a softer/faster grade for those. It says "For Mechanics and General ?Woodworkers?", so maybe it's not as fine of a stone as other Washitas, but like you say, cut's faster.
You should do a video comparison of The Mechanic's Friend vs. a Lily White, both freshly prepared. When my Lily White was freshly lapped, it cut (what I would consider to be) very quickly for such a fine stone.
6"x2"?
I wondered the same thing. It says "For mechanics and general woodworkers tools". I'm sure it will slow down as it breaks in but off the DMT DiaFlat the speed was impressive. I'll try and do a comparison between it and a lily white sometime soon. Yes, it's 6x2. Good eye.

Nice stone! There're actually quite a few names that are less common. Mechanic's Friend, Woodworkers Delight, etc. I believe they were the slightly coarser (less dense) stones from what I've read. Washitas were graded from Lily White down through #7 (#1 - #7 from finest to coarsest) with #1 supposed to be equivalent to Lily White except for not being pure white, from what I've read.

David

Picked up another washita today. I lapped it but haven't used it yet.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 110

David

Looks like you are building a new wall in the house using "Lilly Whites". LOL great stone again!
Haha thanks Ronnie. Washitas are really neat stones. They remind me of coticules as far as how much they vary from one stone to the next.

David

Found this nice washita today at the Nashville flea market. I knew it was a washita at first glance, but I didn't know how big the stone was. It was very tight in the wood box but once I got home I managed to tap it out and found out it's double dished, which I think is super cool. Looks like the gentleman who owned it dropped it at some point and decided to flip it over and start on the other side. It's dished roughly 1/2" on both sides. Can't imagine how long that must have taken. It's 8" long, 1 1/2 wide and 1 3/4 thick. Kind of odd measurements for a washita, right?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 83
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 84
Cool stone. I used to have a hindo with similar dimensions and dishing. My guess was that it was stone that was taken to the tool like an adze, axe or draw knife.

Yeah, washita's aren't hard to dish. That's why they're so damn fast. They're friable so there's always fresh sharp material ready to cut steel, and they're not as finicky about being kept clean as "arkansas", despite being very similar in composition.

Given its uniformity on both sides, I'm wondering if that stone wasn't intentionally dished like that. Placed on a large, pedal-driven, water-wheel grind-stone or something to achieve the desired effect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom