What's new

Finally bought an Ark

View attachment 937858 View attachment 937859 View attachment 937860 A couple months ago this stone popped up on ebay for a 7 day auction. It was listed as a coticule but it was pretty obvious that it was a primitive translucent (butterscotch at that). I really wanted it but was out bid in the last few seconds. Well, it ends up that my brother bought it and gave it to me for Christmas. Talk about a surprise! It's a killer old trans Ark that's been hammered out on 5 sides and has a 1/4 inch dish on the working surface. I don't think I've ever seen a trans that's dished this badly. Someone really loved this one.
Thats a beauty!! I dont know stones that well but from your pics and description i bet it is a wonderful addition to your honing selection!
Do keep us abreast of how well it works...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't have a big Arkansas collection (one I have) but I'd have to lap that butterscotch stone and use that sucker to hone a razor. I might not want to but I'd have to. It would be absolutely irresistible.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Translucent Ark, 8 x 2 x 1/2". Nothing special but a bit special to me because it's my first :). Lapped and burnished, it gave the expected wonderful finished edge after honing with Ballistöl. Only one thing, I prefer to hand hold stones and 1/2" is a bit on the thin side for me. So I'm thinking of gluing it (two-component epoxy) to another same size/thickness Ark of a different variety e.g. a hard black. Any reason why this could be a no no? As always, thanks in advance to the experts!

proxy.php

Last edited:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Translucent Ark, 8 x 2 x 1/2". Nothing special but a bit special to me because it's my first :). Lapped and burnished, it gave the expected wonderful finished edge after honing with Ballistöl. Only one thing, I prefer to hand hold stones and 1/2" is a bit on the thin side for me. So I'm thinking of gluing it (two-component epoxy) to another same size/thickness Ark of a different variety e.g. a hard black. Any reason why this could be a no no? As always, thanks in advance to the experts!

Should work fine. Just need to be cognizant of how/where you set it down.

I use my thin one on a flat palm. Not quite as ergo as gripping a thick stone but still works.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Nice looking stone.

I use 1/2" stones held in hand all the time, but I am careful to rest them in my hand with my fingers barely on the bottom edge of the downward side. I do that for the obvious reason not wanting to learn that lesson sitting in the emergency room. I also do it because if I don't I tend to bump my razor holding hand on my stone holding fingers which doesn't work well either.

Norton3.crack.640.JPG

If you're interested in joining two stones together you may be interested in some of the posts not too far down in the thread about my translucent with the apparent inclusion. Here's the link.

Happy shaves,

Jim

When choosing to glue an Ark to a sub straight we loose one usable honing surface, I would opt instead for an inexpensive adjustable stone holder since this 8"X2" stone would easily fit. I have several that I use for thin hones or diamond plates and they work fine for hand held honing.
This preserves both sides of the stone that can be surface prepped differently to render different results.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Even though my stone is only 1/2" thick I can easily rest it in my off hand and hone in hand with it.

I'd rather it be 1.5" thick but what would that cost even if you could find one that thick.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I had completely forgotten about this thread until I came across today it by accident. Figured I’d bump it for anyone looking for a long and (fairly) boring read with a few gems hidden inside.
Just read the whole thread. How many arks did you end up with after that fateful first one?

Top Bottom