What's new

Hone Identification?

I purchased this hone off the bay included in a lot. It was housed in a mismatched hone box, so it seems the former owner at least wanted to protect it. There are no maker’s markings and it’s 5 and 1/2 inches long by 2 and 1/8 inches wide. The color is dark chocolate brown and it appears to have white speckles throughout which I tried to capture in the photos. I washed the hone with soap just in case the white speckles were some sort of residue, but they didn’t wash off. It seems like a very fine grit. The surface is very smooth. The hone’s edges are chamfered on one face only. I wetted the hone with plain water which just beads up on the surface. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_6190.jpeg
    IMG_6190.jpeg
    709 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6196.jpeg
    IMG_6196.jpeg
    877.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6193.jpeg
    IMG_6193.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6195.jpeg
    IMG_6195.jpeg
    551.5 KB · Views: 63
Maybe a Lisbon chocolate hone? I don't remember if they have white spots though. Does it feel like a slate? Novaculite? Sandstone?
The surface feels almost glass smooth. I have a cream colored Belgian that feels similar but smoother. I don’t have any that you mentioned to compare.

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Hard to say from the pics but I’d guess it’s a synthetic Barbers Hone.

Can't tell if it is a barber's hone or not but plenty of them turn up with spotting like that. I"ve had dozens with similar spotting. I suppose that it's caused by the binder and composition breaking down over time.
Could be anything though - I wouldn't go guessing it's some sort of obscure thing right off the bat though.

Top Bottom