What's new

honing off a chip

I’m late to this but let me add my 2 cents worth.

First, sorry for your loss

Second, clean up the blade a little, steel wool is fine, just enough to know where you stand. You might end up above this spot when you achieve a clean bevel

IMG_6731.jpeg

Measure the width of the blade to here and then calculate the bevel angle to here and just above the chip. After you get you angle you’d have a better idea if you need to thin the spine and how much it needs to be thinned.

No point of ending up with a nice bevel and such a large bevel angle that it doesn’t shave.

Good luck n

here are the first two and only razors I ever honed. as you can see they are junk and I knew it. I honed that thin one for hours until I was able to shave with it. I learned a lot on that razor.
the black handle razor was junk also you can see by the wide bevel on both of them that I struggled with getting them shave ready. Paste worked wonders with these razors.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Now this third and last razor I ever honed still as a beginner. I went on on on about it during the thread and learned that it has a belly hone to it. Never even knew it existed. Now I know this is no museum piece, although from my knowledge of metal and edges, I am going to stick my neck out here and say that it is hard to imagine any starlight edge razor being made any more perfect and with the highest quality workmanship.
Look at the fine bevel and the nice long profile with the slight belly hone on it. It shaves like butter without paste and it makes a funny noise when it glides across my face.

I owe this advancement to the fine gentlemen on this forum that went out of their way to constructively explain tips of the trade to me .

I have a tendency to babble on when I type into a computer especially if I am under a great deal of stress. Earlier I was under tremendous grief.

Thanks to everyone for all the great times I have had up until this thread. I will show a nice drawing in the next post for to end my comments to this thread.
Oh, one thing I have to contribute to obtaining a fine shave ready edge on this third razor. I purchased a granite machinist table and with the use of 400 grit silicone wet dry sandpaper, my stones are much superior in being flat over using a diamond plate. I was able to tell immediately at first. Now I just take it for granite. No bun intended!
Cheers!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 5555.jpg
    5555.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I once honed a very small chip out of the edge of a Puma razor using a combination barber’s hone. It took hours. It worked, but not recommended. Was great honing practice though.

Top Bottom