What's new

Finally bought an Ark

I ordered some Smith's solution for the same reasons. Oil makes less of a mess during honing but the clean up is way worse. Water dries out, oil lingers on everything.

Hopefully smith's isn't too messy.

Most people use way too much oil. For finishing you don't need more than several drops maximum. I never get any oil anywhere but the top of finishing stones. A quick couple drops of clean oil and a paper towel wipe after honing and bob's your uncle. It's a different story for something like a Washita where there's a lot of steel coming off that needs to be floated away, but I'm still going to be using oil there as well, I just stick a paper towel under the stone for insurance, but maybe about 5% of the time does oil ever get anywhere but the top of the stone even then.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Aephilli was nice enough to send me this beautiful pink trans to try out for a couple of months. It needs a bit more lapping/conditioning before I can put a razor to it, but this is one of the prettiest stones I've ever held. It feels like a really hard waxy moon rock. I appreciate the opportunity to try it out

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 157
That thing is stunning! I would kill for that. I have been thinking of getting a vintage trans black or butterscotch. Pink would be way cooler though.

Not that my white vintage Norton is bad. I am just curious what a surgical or different colored trans is like.

While I definitely agree that the above stone is very pretty, it's not the prettiest Ark I've ever seen. For me, that distinction belongs to this stone:

$47OlixY~2.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous!

Dang, I shoulda sent you the other 2, just to get some better pics.

$140815_0005.jpg
(not such a bad idea, really, to get an experienced opinion on the quality... hhmmmmm....)

aephilli:
Where are you getting these psychedelic Arkis from, some of the most unusual and beautiful stones I've seen, simply stunning.

aephilli:
Where are you getting these psychedelic Arkis from, some of the most unusual and beautiful stones I've seen, simply stunning.

Only two, the top pair were one before I decided it was too long and cut it. (and now wish I had gone 7/4 instead of 8/3)
I think it was this thread where someone (several people?) said how great Ark edges were, so I was browsing evilbay and found things...
Actually, both are shown earlier in this thread.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/411061-Why-did-no-one-want-this-Arkie?highlight=arkie

Last edited:

David

I've been eagerly awaiting this one. This is my first 'modern' ark from Dans, a 6x3 black. I sent an email stating I wanted a really dense stone for razor finishing, and they delivered. For all intents and purposes this stone was dead flat on both sides and there were no visible saw marks-anywhere. I've been conditioning the surface with a carbon steel kitchen cleaver and I think it's almost there. I just finished a dorko on it with 150 (ish) circles each way and will shave test tonight.
Now I have to get aephilli's pink flat and conditioned 💪

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 90

David

Bad choice of words. (Sorry). Yes it's flat, I'm just trying to get this scratch out of it.

I've been eagerly awaiting this one. This is my first 'modern' ark from Dans, a 6x3 black. I sent an email stating I wanted a really dense stone for razor finishing, and they delivered. For all intents and purposes this stone was dead flat on both sides and there were no visible saw marks-anywhere. I've been conditioning the surface with a carbon steel kitchen cleaver and I think it's almost there. I just finished a dorko on it with 150 (ish) circles each way and will shave test tonight.
Now I have to get aephilli's pink flat and conditioned 

That is a gorgeous stone.

Bad choice of words. (Sorry). Yes it's flat, I'm just trying to get this scratch out of it.

Whew! *makes relief/wiping forhead gesture*

that scratch (I thought there were 2) is why it's not smooth, I lapped it 3 more times trying to get rid of it. you have a belt sander? want me to order you a SC belt and send it to you? that was what I was gonna try next :001_unsur

Top Bottom