What's new

Favorite oilstone "oil" and why.

I like a mixture of Mineral oil/trans fluid/Diesel fluid
60/20/20

Dans is pretty nice too.
Ived used several mediums, nothing beats or come close to oil i received from Wid
This oil in every aspect, is superior and im lucky to obtain some from Wid
( thx Wid)
Can tell years experience testing went into this mixture
The results are simply spectacular

Baby oil is just mineral oil with that scent added. It's probably the cheapest way to go, but I pay the extra for basic mineral oil because the smell of baby oil is yuck.
A feed store will have it cheaper, a gallon jug goes a long ways and I think I payed about $17 for it last year. I use it on butcher blocks and other things as well.

Side note, I was unaware WD-40 had a smell and that sounds awesome on an india. I've been tempted to soak an india down with a can of rem oil.
Haha it certainly does. There's even a cologne.

1696113859578.png

Pretty intrigued on WD-40 as a honing medium now since a few of you have good experience with it.

WD-40 is really good, I usually use it, machine oil, or soap & water to finish razors. I don't really think there is a magic honing solution. I just prefer something thin, personal preference thing.

I use k1 on arkansas stones, and spyderco ceramics. It stinks some.

I use ATF on india and crystalon stones, because I have a lot of it on hand. If I didn't have ATF on hand, I would use mineral oil from the drug department.

I don't like the way baby oil smells. I prefer k1 smell to baby oil.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
If you don't like the smell of a particular lube, you can add essential oils or scents. The wife makes me use Rosemary oil for my fading memory. Smell is not a big thing for me, performance is. Does it tick all my boxes.......if so it's very good.

If you don't like the smell of a particular lube, you can add essential oils or scents. The wife makes me use Rosemary oil for my fading memory. Smell is not a big thing for me, performance is. Does it tick all my boxes.......if so it's very good.
There's a reason people started washing, instead of just dousing their bodies in scent.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ve been good with mineral oil, glycerine, or dishwashing detergent. Odorless, and you can easily adjust the viscosity of glycerine or DWD with water. Odorless is important to me, I hone in my kitchen.

Been playing around with WD-40 as of late and been enjoying it. Only 1 of my razors that I use frequently is honed with tape, and I do notice that some tape residue ends up on my paper towel when I wipe down the blade which is interesting. Hasn't affected anything throughout the honing process however but something worth noting. I think I prefer WD-40 on a blade with tape on my Arks actually. Otherwise I do think I'll end up settling for a thicker medium such as mineral oil.

As I mentioned, 3in1 oil has been my favorite for my Ark. In the last week I have tried a few of these recommendations, my wife pisses and moans about the smell of 3in1. And while I should just tell he to suck it up, I decided to play nice. I tried Glycerin, I do not like it at all. Can’t feel the contact with the stone. I tried baby oil, bingo! That’s the stuff, no off smell, the old lady shuts up, it does a great job, and I can feel my Ark when I am honing. Thanks to whoever posted that!

Top Bottom