What's new

Favorite Ink Bottle - By Ink Manufacturer

I like an ink bottle from which I can draw ink as close to the bottom as I can. How about you? My favorites to date, in that regard are: the Namiki 60ml (the flat one with the plastic insert, the old Parker Penman (also has a plastic insert), the Visconti wine glass (damn, I wish I had kept an old glass one), and of course the old Schaeffer Skrip bottle -- the new ones also have the little side section, too, but I like the old ones best. The Montblanc bottle is OK too, but because I don't generally like Montblanc ink, I seldom seem to empty one so I can fill it with ink I like better. Also, I don't really like the newer square-cornerd Montblanc bottle; I like the old round-ended one.

I have about a million inks (possibly an exaggeration, but anyway I can't count that high), but I'm still a sucker for another one. Sometimes I buy them just for the bottle. Nowadays, I'm more likely to buy a functional bottle than a decorative one.

By the way, if I'm using a cartridge converter, I tend to fill the converter from the bottle if I can, but the ink needs to be pretty "high" to be accessible. Nib dipping, while necessary with some pens, is a mess I try to avoid. I do have some pens I've converted to eyedropper fill, and I also syringe-re-fill cartridges and converters, and use syringes to suck up ink when levels are low. And yes, I've tried those little cone-shaped ink charging reservoirs, and made them myself before they were available.

Anyway, though there are so many ways to skin the cat, I'd love to hear what you folks think is a great ink bottle as far as ease of filling your pens. Trying one of your favorites will no doubt become an excuse for my next totally unnecessary ink purchase.😉

Thanks,
Tony

I like an ink bottle from which I can draw ink as close to the bottom as I can. How about you? My favorites to date, in that regard are: the Namiki 60ml (the flat one with the plastic insert, the old Parker Penman (also has a plastic insert), the Visconti wine glass (damn, I wish I had kept an old glass one), and of course the old Schaeffer Skrip bottle -- the new ones also have the little side section, too, but I like the old ones best. The Montblanc bottle is OK too, but because I don't generally like Montblanc ink, I seldom seem to empty one so I can fill it with ink I like better. Also, I don't really like the newer square-cornerd Montblanc bottle; I like the old round-ended one.

I have about a million inks (possibly an exaggeration, but anyway I can't count that high), but I'm still a sucker for another one. Sometimes I buy them just for the bottle. Nowadays, I'm more likely to buy a functional bottle than a decorative one.

By the way, if I'm using a cartridge converter, I tend to fill the converter from the bottle if I can, but the ink needs to be pretty "high" to be accessible. Nib dipping, while necessary with some pens, is a mess I try to avoid. I do have some pens I've converted to eyedropper fill, and I also syringe-re-fill cartridges and converters, and use syringes to suck up ink when levels are low. And yes, I've tried those little cone-shaped ink charging reservoirs, and made them myself before they were available.

Anyway, though there are so many ways to skin the cat, I'd love to hear what you folks think is a great ink bottle as far as ease of filling your pens. Trying one of your favorites will no doubt become an excuse for my next totally unnecessary ink purchase.😉

Thanks,
Tony
Most of the inks that I use are in bottles that are not that great to fill directly from. I am a heavy user of 30 ml Diamine ink and those have really narrow necks that can make it difficult to fill directly from. On top of that they are amber colored so you cannot even see through them. Mostly I syringe fill my pens except those pens that are piston, vacuum, vintage bladder types. I guess the little divot in the bottom of Iroshizuku and Lamy bottles can help in those situations.

Ackermann has a really cool bottle. Turn it upside down and the ink flows into the bottleneck. Turn it back, right side up and a marble in the neck traps the ink in the bottleneck for easy filling
I do have an Akkerman blue ink. The check-ball bottle is cool; I dislike the ink -- it starts weak, and then fades as it dries, and I'm not talking about sun fade -- it just plain peters out.

Thanks for the link to similar threads -- I searched before I posted, but somehow missed these.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
1930's Pelikan bottle allows one to reach the last drops.

1701469114692.png
1701469376781.png

That or vintage Skrip bottle with top well.
The newest Montblanc shoe bottles are actually pretty darn nice and they're loaded with very high quality ink from Austria.

full

if I'm using a cartridge converter, I tend to fill the converter from the bottle if I can, but the ink needs to be pretty "high" to be accessible. Nib dipping, while necessary with some pens, is a mess I try to avoid

Dipping a converter sounds much too messy for me, more so than dipping the nib/feed. Plus you get the prime some pens need.

Last edited:
Dipping a converter sounds much too messy for me, more than dipping the nib/feed. Plus you get the prime some pens need.
You know, you're right, Nemo. Often, dipping the converter is sometimes just as much of a mess, and the "prime" issue is a valid point with pens that are completely dry. For sure no method is perfect, and depends on the situation. The syringe methods also have drawbacks -- gotta clean up the syringe afterward, for one.

Fountain pens are a bit of a fiddler's thing, but for me the way they write and the look and feel of a well-crafted letter, character or sketch make it all worth it -- an aesthetic delight.

Cheers!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Tony:
My ink of choice is the Montblanc (MB), 60 Ml Ink Bottle - Permanent Black Ink - 107755, (but mostly prefer the cartridge version because of the 'convenience' [no spills...'yikes' calvin-angry-calvin--26-hobbes-318681_366_362.jpg ]). :thumbsup:

:syn:"[...] There is something elemental about the glide and flow of nib and ink on paper." James Robertson

Last edited:
I have a few of the old Sheaffer bottles that I picked up at an antique shop. I foolishly threw taway the bottles I used when I was younger.

Lamy bottles have a divot at the bottom of the bottle that makes it easier to get that last drop of ink. Pilot Iroshizuku bottles apparently have a similar divot.

I also have an Opus pen with a shutoff valve. You fill it with an eyedropper. Pretty easy to get most of the ink out of a bottle using an eyedropper.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Most of the inks that I use are in bottles that are not that great to fill directly from. I am a heavy user of 30 ml Diamine ink and those have really narrow necks that can make it difficult to fill directly from. On top of that they are amber colored so you cannot even see through them.

Likewise! My focus is on the ink I want to use, not the packaging. I also don't want to mess around decanting that ink into other bottles, if I can find an easier way to store/use it.

I use Diamine and Quink. I also predominantly use Parker or Std International cartridge/converter pens. If I can't get the pen in the bottle, and into the ink deep enough, I will use a syringe. Occasionally, I have used that syringe to transfer to a sample vial, and load from that, but only (so far) for one pen that's a little more awkward than the rest.

It might be worth me adding that I haven't finished a bottle yet. I might end up discarding the last bit of ink in each bottle, to minimise drawing up any sediment.

Get a syringe and blunt needle (or a sharp one if you’re careful). You can suck the last of the ink from the bottle in squirt it into a used cartridge or into a converter. You don’t have to throw any out.

I like the 10 ml Herbin bottles. It would be nice if there were more inks available in small bottles. Does anyone know whether the 10 ml bottles are plastic or glass?

I like the 10 ml Herbin bottles. It would be nice if there were more inks available in small bottles. Does anyone know whether the 10 ml bottles are plastic or glass?
They're glass. My 10 ml bottle of Herbin Bleu des Profondeurs came today and I filled my 2000 with it.

The Akkerman bottles are one of my favorites. Great design, very beautiful. The Montblanc shoe bottle is also beautiful. As well as the Iroshizuku bottle. very elegant. There is also a bottle that rises on a slant, so the whole thing looks lop-sided. I have to go to my ink storage spot to find the brand, but its very interesting

Top Bottom