What's new

Jinhao Dadao 9019 Fountain Pen

I just picked up this Jinhao Dadao 9019 fountain pen. I have got to say, the fit and finish on this pen are very good. The two color medium nib, that is also available in fine and extra fine, is super smooth, with only a hint of feedback. Amazing. Why is this amazing? I only paid $6 USD, including shipping.
Jinhao 9019.jpg
I am sorry for the terrible pictures. I will try to get more later. The pen I bought is very dark blue. It also comes in dark red, black, clear red, and clear blue. There may be other colors. The pen is huge. If you like a big pen, or have large hands like me, this is it. Forget a puny Montblanc. You can see that the pen is nearly has big as my small flashlight in girth. The grip is large, also.
Jinhao 9019 Nib.jpg

The converter is gold metal, on the inside. I will try to get more photos later.

This is a killer value. The pen was even tested for ink flow and writing quality before it left the factory. Six bucks!

I just picked up this Jinhao Dadao 9019 fountain pen. I have got to say, the fit and finish on this pen are very good. The two color medium nib, that is also available in fine and extra fine, is super smooth, with only a hint of feedback. Amazing. Why is this amazing? I only paid $6 USD, including shipping.View attachment 1788192 I am sorry for the terrible pictures. I will try to get more later. The pen I bought is very dark blue. It also comes in dark red, black, clear red, and clear blue. There may be other colors. The pen is huge. If you like a big pen, or have large hands like me, this is it. Forget a puny Montblanc. You can see that the pen is nearly has big as my small flashlight in girth. The grip is large, also.
View attachment 1788193
The converter is gold metal, on the inside. I will try to get more photos later.

This is a killer value. The pen was even tested for ink flow and writing quality before it left the factory. Six bucks!
I have the Jinhao x159 and it is almost the same size as the 9019. I think they have the same #8 nib. I really like the x159. I have two of them one in F and one in EF. 👍

I just picked up this Jinhao Dadao 9019 fountain pen. I have got to say, the fit and finish on this pen are very good. The two color medium nib, that is also available in fine and extra fine, is super smooth, with only a hint of feedback. Amazing. Why is this amazing? I only paid $6 USD, including shipping.View attachment 1788192 I am sorry for the terrible pictures. I will try to get more later. The pen I bought is very dark blue. It also comes in dark red, black, clear red, and clear blue. There may be other colors. The pen is huge. If you like a big pen, or have large hands like me, this is it. Forget a puny Montblanc. You can see that the pen is nearly has big as my small flashlight in girth. The grip is large, also.
View attachment 1788193

Nice.

The Jinhao pens seem like a great value. I've got one, a Red Ice X450 ($9) and it's a lot of pen for little $$$.

The Jinhao pens are great to experiment with. The X450 and X750 pens are available with Fude nib (a nib which is bent upwards and writes like a brush). They also can be equipped with a Bock Type 250 nib. Unfortunately, the Bock feed can’t be fitted, but the nib fits nicely on the Jinhao feed. Note that the Bock nib will cost at least double what the Jinhao pen will cost, but it’s a great upgrade.

The Jinhao‘s can also be equipped with a Zebra G dip pen nib. It’s more difficult to jam the nib on the feed than with a Bock, but it’s possible with a bit of elbow grease. Caution: those nibs are sharp and you can easily injure yourself. My experience with a Zebra on a Jinhao is that they do write nicely with great line variation (it‘s a flexible nib without an iridium point), but after a while the feed can’t keep up and you end up with railroading and ultimately no ink flow whatsoever. Also, the zebra nibs are basically done after a while. After all they were meant for dip pens.

Another, slightly more expensive fountain pen manufacturer from China is PenBBS. They were founded by a couple of pen enthusiasts which exchanged experiences on a pen forum. They do like to make pens no other manufacturer makes. From piston fillers, to eye droppers, vacuum fillers and bulk fillers they do make everything. Their nib selection is a bit limited from an Asian EF to F, but they are lovely pens. I do have one of their bulk fillers; that thing never runs out of ink; it can hold around 6-8 ml of ink. However, I broke the filling system due to user error. It’s a very peculiar filling system where each step needs to be taken in the right sequence and the moveable parts turned in the right direction. Basically I removed the threads in the ink shutoff valve by turning it the wrong way. But that pen cost me $20, so it wasn’t a big deal.

Nevertheless, PenBBS does offer some very interesting fountain pens at very attractive prices and they get regular good reviews on the fountain pen forums. There is a PenBBS shop on Etsy if you guys are interested.

Nice! I just checked Amazon - not that low, but under $15.00 - very tempting. It looks like the converter threads on, too - I love that feature if it's right. I have a Kaweco Sport fountain pen and the cartridge comes off if I jostle the pen too hard one way or another - when it came out of the box the cartridge had come loose and flooded the inside of the pen.

Nice! I just checked Amazon - not that low, but under $15.00 - very tempting. It looks like the converter threads on, too - I love that feature if it's right. I have a Kaweco Sport fountain pen and the cartridge comes off if I jostle the pen too hard one way or another - when it came out of the box the cartridge had come loose and flooded the inside of the pen.
It is threaded and it's metal! It is a very nice pen, every bit as nice as some of my far more expensive pens. If I can find one with a stub nib I'll buy another one.

...sigh...must resist!...OH! that blue pen is quite pretty!

EF or F for me - I like thinner lines.

+1 for Jinhao pens. I got an ivory Duofold lookalike pen about 15 years ago for a pittance. It looked great, had good fit and finish and had a beautiful two tone medium nib that wrote acceptably. I'd have gladly paid triple the price for a superior nib, but don't regret the purchase.

+1 for Jinhao pens. I got an ivory Duofold lookalike pen about 15 years ago for a pittance. It looked great, had good fit and finish and had a beautiful two tone medium nib that wrote acceptably. I'd have gladly paid triple the price for a superior nib, but don't regret the purchase.
It is my understanding that in the last year or two their quality has really gone up significantly.

So, I picked up a 9019 in the lighter blue color...it is a monster! Biggest pen that I own, but it's a small sample size.

I was surprised to find the very nice gold accented converter, which is also huge.

Still, I haven't inked it yet. I may just start with a Jihao standard cartridge, which I assume will work?

Anyway, I paid more than 6 bucks on the Zon, and it seems like a decent pen, even at $15.20240301_161539.jpg

Top Bottom