What's new

Red ink: When do you use it?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Red ink is something I have always felt... unsettled with in my fountain pens.

I don't do marking/grading/editing, but sometimes it's still nice to have a good contrast ink. I tend to have three pens loaded at a time, with one of those three being specifically for that role. However, I still don't need that third colour very often, so will occasionally use it as a general pen just to keep the ink flowing through it, and stop the feed drying or clogging.

Here's where I am torn:

A dark red (Diamine Oxblood or Crimson) is fine for general use, but not great as contrast inks. Matador and Red Dragon are much better as contrast inks, but a page, or even a paragraph, written in that ink, can get a bit garish. Majestic Purple, Burnt Sienna, or Ochre, all seem to do both. They stand out well, but don't strain the eyes if used as a regular pen. So logic says use those, and ditch the reds... but I still kind of feel (irrationally perhaps) that I still ought to have a red or two in the line up. Even though I can't quote put my finger on why (and therefore choose which would serve me best).

Do you guys use your red inks often, and what for? Or do they sit unused, while you constantly reach for other colours instead?
When I owe more than I have.

I use it anytime I please. Most of my writing at work is notes that I write to myself. That kinda gives me the freedom to use whatever color ink I want. I'm in a mood for red so all of tonights notes will be in red ink (I do carry a pen loaded with Lamy black for when I need to sign my name to something official).

As mentioned by others, on Christmas cards. I also have a red pen (not fountain) that I use on schedules to mark off people who call in sick. It stands out for easier accounting of hours/staff.

I don't do marking/grading/editing, but sometimes it's still nice to have a good contrast ink. I tend to have three pens loaded at a time, with one of those three being specifically for that role. However, I still don't need that third colour very often, so will occasionally use it as a general pen just to keep the ink flowing through it, and stop the feed drying or clogging.

Here's where I am torn:

A dark red (Diamine Oxblood or Crimson) is fine for general use, but not great as contrast inks. Matador and Red Dragon are much better as contrast inks, but a page, or even a paragraph, written in that ink, can get a bit garish. Majestic Purple, Burnt Sienna, or Ochre, all seem to do both. They stand out well, but don't strain the eyes if used as a regular pen. So logic says use those, and ditch the reds... but I still kind of feel (irrationally perhaps) that I still ought to have a red or two in the line up. Even though I can't quote put my finger on why (and therefore choose which would serve me best).

Do you guys use your red inks often, and what for? Or do they sit unused, while you constantly reach for other colours instead?
As a former avid pen collector of the 1980s-90s I also hunted down vintage ink. Red seemd to evaporate the most (even when apparently sealed). A Sanford red ink pint bottle with poring spout from c.1940 had lost half its liquid.

Old-time bookkeepers used red ink for negative figures in ledgers. New employees were warned to pay attention and not incorrectly post while using black and red ink. If they did, they would have to cross out the bad entry and initial (sometimes also with the head bookkeeper's initials).

Using blue ink (even Sheaffer's Blue-black) was generally not allowed in ledgers.

As a former avid pen collector of the 1980s-90s I also hunted down vintage ink. Red seemd to evaporate the most (even when apparently sealed). A Sanford red ink pint bottle with poring spout from c.1940 had lost half its liquid.

Old-time bookkeepers used red ink for negative figures in ledgers. New employees were warned to pay attention and not incorrectly post while using black and red ink. If they did, they would have to cross out the bad entry and initial (sometimes also with the head bookkeeper's initials).

Using blue ink (even Sheaffer's Blue-black) was generally not allowed in ledgers.
Bracketing negative figures in black ink (rather than red ink) was also common. Pre-computers the larger companies had more standardized rules vs. small businesses using a part-time bookkeeper.

Here's where I am torn:

I'll ink up a pen w/red ink when the mood strikes me. I bought a Visconti Homo Sapiens Fountain Pen in Magma (My God what a beautiful piece of art) & I decided on a whim to buy a bottle of Visconti Red Ink, a bottle of Visconti Black Ink & a bottle of Visconti Blue Ink just to cover all my bases when I decide to take the pen out & so far have only used the Red & the Black. I generally have no more than three pens inked at one time. One of the three is an Esterbrook 407 Dip-Less Inkwell Desk Set with Waterman's Harmonious Green (My "Signature Color") w/an Esterbrook 9284 Signature Stub nib which is always inked & used daily. I carry a Vintage pen & a Modern pen at all times. As to the color of ink in the two carry pens, one is Black & the other is whatever color of ink I'm in the mood for. I also do NOT allow ANYONE to use one of my pens unless they are fountain pen enthusiasts themselves & therefore, will treat my pen with the loving care they so deserve. Sorry about the rant but use red ink whenever YOU want to. Fountain Pens are meant to not only be a writing instrument but also to be a joy to use & a joy to behold. When they cease to be anything but something to write with you might as well just use a ballpoint pen & a box of crayons for contrast. If that came across as rude then my most sincere apologies. Please enjoy your red ink. Later.

Red is my favorite and main go to ink…I wrote this earlier today!
IMG_2247.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Since starting this thread, my use of red inks, and what I need from it, has gotten clearer. I still use it for contrast/editing, but if I don't use it as a "general" pen too, there's a chance of it sitting unused for too long, and gumming up the nib a bit between uses. While a quick dip of the nib under the cold tap always fixes it, it's still something I'd rather avoid.

Based on that...

Diamine Matador has been a great contrast ink, but I don't enjoy It as a general use ink, unless it's a particularly wet pen, or has been in the pen long enough to darken a bit. Paper comes into play too. This might need maintenance throughout the use of a fill due to lack of use.

Oxblood is a good general use ink for me, but might not offer enough contrast, depending on what other inks are in play. Again, paper and nib matter, plus natural vs artificial light.

Diamine Red Dragon and Crimson do both well. Crimson particularly. I've found my reds right there. However, Diamine Ochre and Burnt Sienna do the same job very well too, if I'm not in the mood for a red - or if I already have Oxblood in use as a general ink. All four tick both boxes (contrast and general use), no matter what I am writing on or with.

Top Bottom