What's new

Favorite Drawing and Sketching Pencils?

What's up, guys.

I know it's a bit heretical as this forum is more geared towards writing, but just curious if there are any fellow drawing and sketch artists out there? I know from personal experience that finding the 'perfect' pencil can be just as much of a rabbit hole as finding the right pen, so I figured it fits in well here. Plus, I'm always looking for some new pencils to try.

Personally, I am partial to Staedtler Mars Lumograph for general sketching and drawing. I have some Uni Mitsu-Bishi Hi-Uni pencils in softer grades that rank right behind, I guess I just prefer the grading on the Staedtlers. I have some more Unis on the way, actually, so my opinion could change. I'm not incredibly picky, really, I even use some cheap Staedtler knock-offs that came in a fake wooden box from Hobby Lobby. If nothing else is around, there's always the trusty black Dixon Ticonderoga. I know people here love Blackwings, but they're just so-so and I hate the erasers!

As for mechanicals, clutches and lead holders, I have a Staedtler 925-35 (can you tell I like Staedtler?) but it barely gets any use due to difficult sourcing of my preferred lead size and hardness. I've owned a Rotring 600 but honestly prefer the Staedtler both for price and balance; the Rotring just seems 'off'.

So what's everyone else's favorite pencils?

I wouldn't say I have a favorite per se, but the only ones I have are the are the Steadtler Mars 780. I bought the set of 5 off of Amazon, and wouldn't you know, they are less expensive now, than when I bought them in '22.

The only reason I bought a series of clutch pencils is, what would be the wood in a normal graphite pencil, never gets shorter. They are all the same length. Always.

I would say the Steadtler Mars 780 and the Faber Castell TK 9400 clutch pencils. I am not an artist by any stretch of imagination, but I have seen that many sketch artists like the Kaweco 5.6mm sketch pencils as well.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Another vote for the Staedtler 780. Also check out the Pacific Arc H-1305, which I like equally well.

I've lately begun to explore some woodcase pencils as well, although more for the quality of writing and simple sketching than any serious art. Staedtler Lumograph is very good, and I have my Staedtler pencil holder loaded with a piece of one at the moment. Quality pencils are thin on the ground where I live, but I have another store to check this week when I'm in town.

Trivia/T.I.L: Staedtler was started by the Staedtler family. Quelle Surprise! However, after a few generations and some difficulties the company was acquired by one of their major competitors. The competitors changed the name of their company to...wait for it...

Staedtler.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Quality pencils are thin on the ground where I live, but I have another store to check this week when I'm in town.

Turns out the regional district art gallery has a small store selling some -- as we would say these days -- "carefully curated" supplies as well as some local artists' work. I was looking for some Tombow 8900 pencils in HB and found them, for a wonder. I also had the opportunity to get hands on with a Kaweco 5.6mm SketchUp and confirmed one thing I had begun to suspect: that my hands are just large enough that the thing doesn't feel all that congenial. Even though they've got a smokin' deal on it, if it isn't right it isn't right (and I don't really need it anyway).

I saw they also had a couple boxes of Tombow Mono 100 which I've heard is a nice piece. And Blackwing, 602s and Mattes plus a couple of Volumes -- but at a price I didn't feel like paying for a full box without a trial. I'll look around; I'd like to pick up a single or two and see how they go. The 602 has a softer lead which may be just a touch too soft for my preferences. ("The grapes were probably sour, anyway." :) )

O.H.

Top Bottom