What's new

Clutch pencils

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When you get to a 3mm lead holder.. the options are much more limited... My Caran d'Ache Fixpencil Mechanical Pencil in Black - 3mm arrived and I'm happy to report... the quality hasn't changed from the ones I have from 20 years ago. The Swiss still know how to make quality goods.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
When you get to a 3mm lead holder.. the options are much more limited... My Caran d'Ache Fixpencil Mechanical Pencil in Black - 3mm arrived and I'm happy to report... the quality hasn't changed from the ones I have from 20 years ago. The Swiss still know how to make quality goods.

Once I've fiddled with the current acquisitions for a while I'll definitely be considering a Fixpencil. Fortunately nobody around here is going to ask, "How many of those darn things do you need, anyway?" It would probably live clipped to the sun visor in my truck, as when I'm wearing my let's-get-dirty clothes I don't tend to have a pen or pencil with me.

I gave some thought to a 5.6mm leadholder, however I'm still on the fence there. On the one hand, cool tech and it's useful. On the other hand, the best store in town for drafting and art supplies has precisely zero of either the leads or the leadholders. Scads of 0.5mm and 0.7mm mechanical pencils and only one manufacturer of 2 mm lead; Staedtler of course (and only about four degrees of hardness). I'm verging on "cool-chasing" so it's good to take some time to think it over.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Once I've fiddled with the current acquisitions for a while I'll definitely be considering a Fixpencil. Fortunately nobody around here is going to ask, "How many of those darn things do you need, anyway?" It would probably live clipped to the sun visor in my truck, as when I'm wearing my let's-get-dirty clothes I don't tend to have a pen or pencil with me.

I gave some thought to a 5.6mm lead holder, however I'm still on the fence there. On the one hand, cool tech and it's useful. On the other hand, the best store in town for drafting and art supplies has precisely zero of either the leads or the lead holders. Scads of 0.5mm and 0.7mm mechanical pencils and only one manufacturer of 2 mm lead; Staedtler of course (and only about four degrees of hardness). I'm verging on "cool-chasing" so it's good to take some time to think it over.

O.H.
When I was in construction, years ago, Lee Valley carried the Fixpencils and had lead readily available. I used them quite a bit back in those days so it was easy to add some lead to an order. GoldSpot . com has the HB lead and that works fine for my purposes. I sharpen the pencil with a sanding block I always carry in one of my leather pouches in my Occidental leather carpenter bags. I have two sets... one for finish work and the other for framing. I can't believe what they cost these days. I paid nothing close to that but it's been decades since I bought mine. Inflation is real.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Occidental leather carpenter bags.

Beautiful work! If I was a professional I'd want something like that. I'm a little more downscale in my skills and so I have belt and gear by Kuny's. Decent enough quality for spending a few days out on the fencelines hammering staples and a convenient pouch to put small screws when I'm up on the roof cleaning the chimneys.

Gotta have the special pockets for the special tools! I keep an eye out for a "Crescent-hammer" pocket and one for my "box-end pliers."

Think I'm kidding? Ha! The "Miner's Hammer-Headed Wrench."

O.H.

Top Bottom