What's new

Clutch pencils

I remember back in my school days I really liked the 2mm clutch pencils and for some unknown reason I have again taken a liking to them. Do I like regular mechanical pencils? sure they are good as well, but what drives me crazy about them is the constant breaking of the lead. What did I do? I pulled out my old Staedler clutch pencil and I got a few new ones. I picked up a Faber-Castell TK 9400, Koh-I-Noor Versatil 5228 (very compact) and then I have on order a Rotring 300 2mm and a Koh-I-Noor Versatil 5900. I also have some new sharpeners on the way. Yes you have to sharpen these which some may be opposed to to, but it is just part of the experience. How many here still use clutch pencils? or am I the only one?

I do. With any home project, I usually reach for a 2mm or the larger one, to mark wood and drywall etc. We also have a few vintage ones that my Dad and Father in Law gave us, from their Military and Engineering days.

It helps my son collect has an interest in mechanical pencils.

Here are the ones I remember ordering from Amazon.ca. Amazon Japan is an excellent source too, often times with "limited" edition models and much better selection of quality lead.

I do. With any home project, I usually reach for a 2mm or the larger one, to mark wood and drywall etc. We also have a few vintage ones that my Dad and Father in Law gave us, from their Military and Engineering days.

Here are the ones I remember ordering from Amazon.ca. Amazon Japan is an excellent source too, often times with "limited" edition models and much better selection of quality lead.

Sounds great! I am sure there was an awesome selection from Japan, they do know their stationary. I can see the 2mm and fatter working well for woodworking and home improvement in general. I have seen some really large diameter lead pencils for that purpose.

The first link you had there was the Koh-I-Noor 5900 and that is one that I just ordered. I saw that they had a back-to-school sale at CultPens in the UK. Even though I live in the US the shipping is not horrible. I got that pencil for $4.93, which is a steal in my book. I can often save quite a bit by ordering from the UK in general on stationary. Of course I had to get some fountain pen inks and such as well which is usually the reason why I order from overseas. Easily makes up for the shipping cost.

The first link you had there was the Koh-I-Noor 5900 and that is one that I just ordered. I saw that they had a back-to-school sale at CultPens in the UK. Even though I live in the US the shipping is not horrible. I got that pencil for $4.93, which is a steal in my book. I can often save quite a bit by ordering from the UK in general on stationary. Of course I had to get some fountain pen inks and such as well which is usually the reason why I order from overseas. Easily makes up for the shipping cost.
Even thought we order from Amazon Canada, a lot of the stationary items we order (or my son does), comes from Germany. Amazon just handles the importing and shipping.

I recall when at Fairlawn Elementary in Miami, Florida we has one pencil for sale in student supply store. It was
Big Fat Monster, as we were like 6 year old the monster did not fit our hands. So how we learn to mast the monster printing everything by hand.

If memory serves me correct all other school supplies were supplied to us, today I see parent in Way-Martwith laundry list of NEEDED supplies, and Suggested supplies.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I do not know much about pencils but I have used this one regularly since I obtained it when I got my first job in about 1985. It seems that this model, the Staedtler Micro 775 05, which I think is a mechanical pencil, was produced between 1977 and 1990.

20230830_145740~2.jpg

I do not know much about pencils but I have used this one regularly since I obtained it when I got my first job in about 1985. It seems that this model, the Staedtler Micro 775 05, which I think is a mechanical pencil, was produced between 1977 and 1990.

View attachment 1709959
Well that is a workhorse. I used mechanical pencils throughout my high school and college. Pretty much only 0.5 mm leaded ones. Let me show you are picture of what a clutch pencil looks like. These I got not that long ago. I also included what the lead looks like. You have to sharpen the tip of the 2 mm lead if you want a sharp point like with a regular wooden pencil. A lot of times the 2mm pencils are used by draftsmen or by artists. I am neither, but I do prefer these. Not sure why. Maybe the nostalgia in them. I should have included a picture with my original post.
clutch pencils.jpg

I recall when at Fairlawn Elementary in Miami, Florida we has one pencil for sale in student supply store. It was
Big Fat Monster, as we were like 6 year old the monster did not fit our hands. So how we learn to mast the monster printing everything by hand.

If memory serves me correct all other school supplies were supplied to us, today I see parent in Way-Martwith laundry list of NEEDED supplies, and Suggested supplies.
I assume that the Big Fat Monster pencil was some rather large diameter pencil that kids would have a hard time to hold. Oh yes it is the back-to-school time of the year.

You got it, recall Pencil Sharpner in class room, with crank arm.

Also had wheel with holes for different pencil sizes. Monster took largest.
Oh yes no electrical pencil sharpener in sight. The one I remember also came apart if you cranked the incorrect direction and it made a big mess. That is bringing up some memories for me.

Legion

Staff member
I have a couple of Staedler around the place, but my favourite lead holder is the Rotring Rapid Pro 2.0. I'm not sure that is a clutch though. Probably better classified as mechanical.

I have a couple of Staedler around the place, but my favourite lead holder is the Rotring Rapid Pro 2.0. I'm not sure that is a clutch though. Probably better classified as mechanical.
Looks like the rotring rapid pro is a click to advance type pencil ṭo your point. Still looks like a great pencil. 👍

What did I do? I went for harmony, for zen in my pen.

I bought several, so I can never be without one. Truly amazing. It is my zen in my pen. Ha
I like that! I can find my zen as well! Actually I'm looking at some mechanical pencils too. I might get a new one. Not sure what is going on with me. I'm a fountain pen guy but for the last two weeks I've been clamoring for clutch and mechanical lead pencils. I how this is not the beginning of another AD. I do not need that.

I found a few of my old clutch pencils along with their desk mates from the 1970s. The black device in the upper right is a clutch pencil pointer. It attaches to an electric eraser holder. The TEC brand pencil uses 3.6 mm leads as I can remember.

IMG_0091.JPG

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
TL;DR clutch pencils rock.

I've been on a pencil jag lately. Mostly inspired by you guys, I must admit, in several threads around here. But as they say, if I wasn't already leaning that way I wouldn't have noticed. :) You do you; this one's on me.

I had a Koh-I-Noor 2mm clutch back in the '70s in university the first time, but then I got seduced by those 0.5mm mechanicals. They never need sharpening! I got used to the regular frustration of busted leads. I've long lost track of my beloved old Koh-I-Noor, which had a nice green button on the end (and why don't more writing tools come in green?).

So this week I decided to reignite that passion. So I bought a nice cheesecake and a bottle of champagne...oh, wait. Sorry! Ummm...so I checked around a few places locally that had "office" supplies. I ran across a Staedtler Mars Technico that fit my budget ("how much do I have in my pocket?"). I've also visited Amazon.ca and purchased a Pacific Arc -- total whim -- and I'm looking to visit a drafting supply shop around here once the new year cranks up.

Also, because wood pencils are a bit of a thing I started out thinking to myself, "I wonder if a wood pencil would fit in one of those old-fashioned teacher's chalk holders?" Not like I actually have a chalk holder as in 20 years I taught in exactly one classroom that had an actual chalk board, and it was flanked by two dry-erase boards. :001_rolle So back to Amazon. Hmmm. Chalk holders take a 10mm diameter piece; pencils in my desk clock in around 8mm. Not gonna work.

But wait! Staedtler, bless their graphite-smeared fingers, makes a pencil holder! To be fair, pencil holders (and artist's pencil extenders) are meant to be used with short pencils or even stubs. But hey, I have woodworking tools so I can make little ones out of big ones. :biggrin: My goal isn't primarily to get the most possible mileage out of a Ticonderoga, but rather to be able to carry a wood pencil in my pocket without putting holes in myself or my clothing.

Lately I've been having fun noodling, doodling, scribbling, sketching and writing.

O.H.

TL;DR clutch pencils rock.

I've been on a pencil jag lately. Mostly inspired by you guys, I must admit, in several threads around here. But as they say, if I wasn't already leaning that way I wouldn't have noticed. :) You do you; this one's on me.

I had a Koh-I-Noor 2mm clutch back in the '70s in university the first time, but then I got seduced by those 0.5mm mechanicals. They never need sharpening! I got used to the regular frustration of busted leads. I've long lost track of my beloved old Koh-I-Noor, which had a nice green button on the end (and why don't more writing tools come in green?).

So this week I decided to reignite that passion. So I bought a nice cheesecake and a bottle of champagne...oh, wait. Sorry! Ummm...so I checked around a few places locally that had "office" supplies. I ran across a Staedtler Mars Technico that fit my budget ("how much do I have in my pocket?"). I've also visited Amazon.ca and purchased a Pacific Arc -- total whim -- and I'm looking to visit a drafting supply shop around here once the new year cranks up.

Also, because wood pencils are a bit of a thing I started out thinking to myself, "I wonder if a wood pencil would fit in one of those old-fashioned teacher's chalk holders?" Not like I actually have a chalk holder as in 20 years I taught in exactly one classroom that had an actual chalk board, and it was flanked by two dry-erase boards. :001_rolle So back to Amazon. Hmmm. Chalk holders take a 10mm diameter piece; pencils in my desk clock in around 8mm. Not gonna work.

But wait! Staedtler, bless their graphite-smeared fingers, makes a pencil holder! To be fair, pencil holders (and artist's pencil extenders) are meant to be used with short pencils or even stubs. But hey, I have woodworking tools so I can make little ones out of big ones. :biggrin: My goal isn't primarily to get the most possible mileage out of a Ticonderoga, but rather to be able to carry a wood pencil in my pocket without putting holes in myself or my clothing.

Lately I've been having fun noodling, doodling, scribbling, sketching and writing.

O.H.
Indeed pencils are cool. If you want to go to of the line pencil you need some blackwings. My dear wife loves hers.

Top Bottom