What's new

Fatip trumps all!

I was asking about the Fatip Gold verus the Nickel plated ones because I read once before that someone had alignment problems with his nickel Grande but the gold was fine. That is my situation. The nickel Grande I can just nudge it into place but the Piccolo has more blade exposure on one side than the other.

Sorry I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread. Your Retro in gold looks very nice. I'm tempted to get one. It would me my 4th Fatip.

That's my only one and I have no alignment issues at all. Is your gold one a newer model from after the switched to brass construction?

That's my only one and I have no alignment issues at all. Is your gold one a newer model from after the switched to brass construction?

They have always been made of brass as far as I know. My gold one is fairly new. Here is my collection of Fatips:

$Fatip Piccolo.jpg $Fatip La Toja.jpg $Arko Fatip.jpg

Last edited:
Just received my new fatip, and it's by far the most efficient and comfortable shave, it's as efficient as the R41 but as smoothe as a 39c.

I couldn't have put it better myself. I have tried just about all the razors talked about on this forum, R41, Slants, SE razors high priced and vintage but nothing shaves me as smooth and as close as a FaTip razor. I'm done searching.

$Fatip_Arko.jpg

Fatips are great. It took me 3 orders though to get one that wasn't scuffed, scratched or holding the blade crookedly. The one I finally got (Retro Gunmetal) is a gem but there is still some play with the seating of the blade. I just wish their quality control was tighter.

Fatips are great. It took me 3 orders though to get one that wasn't scuffed, scratched or holding the blade crookedly. The one I finally got (Retro Gunmetal) is a gem but there is still some play with the seating of the blade. I just wish their quality control was tighter.
+1.

Love the Piccolo.

Yeah, I'll make that +2. Their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. I have a gold Grande that is perfect and one in nickel that I have to adjust the blade to sit right. Not really a big deal but it would be nice if you didn't have to do it.

The reverse for me. I had two gunmetal Grandes, both had top caps with edges that were not parallel. The blade would be even with the comb teeth but would appear crooked because of the non-square top cap. I bought a nickel Grande and it's fine. I mean yeah, you still have to align it as you tighten it down but it has even exposure and is nice and straight compared to my other two which never looked straight.

I had a great shave with my Fatip Grande tonight. I still think it is the smoothest razor around IMO. I have slants that I thought were the smoothest razors but the Fatip beats them in my opinion. The gold is a super deal for what it cost. Just beautiful too.

$Fatip bowl.jpg

I'm waiting on a delivery of a Joris gold with a horn handle from Fendrihan. The Joris is an upscale fatip. I look forward to adding a pic and review next week.

I'm waiting on a delivery of a Joris gold with a horn handle from Fendrihan. The Joris is an upscale fatip. I look forward to adding a pic and review next week.

The Joris is a fine razor. I had one and sold it. Then later I bought a Fatip. I'm sorry I sold my Joris now. I had the nice all metal with the spiral handle. Lovely razor. You will like it. Definitely add a picture here when you get it.

It doesn't trump all for me; specifically, not the 2011 R41 and its Frankenversions. But it's the one other razor that I use much at all, because it's such a great smooth change of pace. But never for long; I get antsy for more feedback.

I like my Fatip razors, but they're not as efficient as the R41. That's why I bought an Ikon Shavecraft Tech, on days where I don't want to touch up my neck for ten minutes.

The Fatip Piccolo is far and away my favourite razor. I think it looks great, I love the weight and the balance, and it shaves as smooth as silk without a hint of aggression. I find the R41 much more aggressive in comparison.

I want an R41, just not willing to pay the price. If the cost was similar to the Fatip, or even the Pearl I would go for it, they're just not competitively priced in my opinion.

Just received my new fatip, and it's by far the most efficient and comfortable shave, it's as efficient as the R41 but as smoothe as a 39c.

The Fatip is much smoother for me than my R41, but doesn't seem nearly as efficient.

Have I just not got my angle dialed in?

What kind of angle do you use with your Fatip?

I want an R41, just not willing to pay the price. If the cost was similar to the Fatip, or even the Pearl I would go for it, they're just not competitively priced in my opinion.

@TobyC you can always buy just the R41 v2013 replacement head at Maggard Razors for $25.95 USD :001_rolle

Top Bottom