What's new

Fatip trumps all!

Well, my Fatip Retro (Gold) came in Friday, and I gave it a try yesterday. It was a great experience; unlike my Merkur 180, I could actually feel the blade touching my skin. It was definitely a shave where one needed to pay a bit more attention, but it was nothing as scary as some on this forum made it out to be. It was the closest safety razor shave I have gotten yet, and I'm really glad I got the razor.

There were a could of spots (particularly curved spots on my neck, that as I shaved with the open comb razor, I could tell I approached a tad bit too hastily. Sure enough, those very spots gave a little sting when I used my alum. I think a little more attention and practice (and probably not even that much), and It should be giving me the shave I've been dreaming of.

I'm getting really tempted to get one, but I keep having people warn me away from open comb razors. I think that is the direction I'd like to go; I think I want something more aggressive. I'm glad to hear that you like it.

What sort of monsters "people" would warn you away from open comb razors??! Never listen to anything from those "people" again. Open comb razors may not be for everyone, but they are nothing to fear. Almost all of my best razors are open comb ...

What sort of monsters "people" would warn you away from open comb razors??! Never listen to anything from those "people" again. Open comb razors may not be for everyone, but they are nothing to fear. Almost all of my best razors are open comb ...

If you'll notice, I posted above that I ignored those folks, got a Fatip, and LOVE it! I'm finally getting the quality of a shave from a DE that I hoped for when I switched.

All photos are compared to a Merkur 180. Some also have an old OTTO that my wife got from an estate sale (I know not in about it, sorry)

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440732217.628204.jpg
Disassembled

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440732356.392765.jpg
Side by side

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440732383.039846.jpg
Profile/section view

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440732413.824155.jpg
Teeth

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440732439.002718.jpg
Handle

This razor weighs about the same as the Merkur in total, but the head weighs more and the handle less.

It is quit aggressive, which is what I was looking for. I haven't tried as many different razors as many of you, but it shaves better than anything I've ever put to my face before. I haven't gotten any razor burn, but it does leave me with a slight tingle from the alum in some places.

The shape is comfortable, and the teeth in the comb are very stout.

My only wish would be if the handle had some knurling for added grip, but luckily some of my other handles fit on this as well (Though I am not likely to use them, as this one works decently, and looks amazing).

My grande just arrived today! Had a shave with it, nice, close and comfortable. I was careful and took my time, got only some very slight redness on my left cheek (always happens) using a brand new red personna blade. I was also happy to discover that my parker 97r handle fits (although I used the stock handle for the first shave to get the original experience) so I'll give it a go with that next time :)

Yep - great razor - one of my top ten and I think it looks pretty awesome - wish they would come out with a stainless, brass and ti version this badboy!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Good looking Fatips, fellas! I do like that retro handle. I've got a gold Grande, just like shave/brush's. It's fantastic! I wonder if the gold and gunmetal finishes come out better than the chrome finishes. Seems a lot of guys with chrome Fatips complain about the finish quality. But mine's super and y'alls looks pretty good too. It's not a very heavy razor, but it sure doesn't need to be. Happy shaving all!

My gold Fatip has perfect alignment. I have a nickel plated Grande and a nickel plate Piccolo both have alignment problems. I just wonder if the gold plated ones are always better? Anyone have some thoughts on this?

My gold Fatip has perfect alignment. I have a nickel plated Grande and a nickel plate Piccolo both have alignment problems. I just wonder if the gold plated ones are always better? Anyone have some thoughts on this?

My nickel Piccolo has no alignment problems. My gold Grande is a bit more finicky than the Piccolo, but more often than not the blade is aligned on the first tightening.

The finish on both are superb. The gold Grande especially is one of the finest looking razors in my collection.

My nickel Piccolo has no alignment problems. My gold Grande is a bit more finicky than the Piccolo, but more often than not the blade is aligned on the first tightening.

The finish on both are superb. The gold Grande especially is one of the finest looking razors in my collection.

Did I answer your questions on the Retro, or is there more you were still looking to know about it?

Did I answer your questions on the Retro, or is there more you were still looking to know about it?

Thanks for asking! I actually was mainly curious to see how it looks in real life since there are hardly any photos of this unicorn in person. The handle looks thicker than I imagined it would be based on the stock photos.

So tell us, what led you to choose the Retro over the Grande or Piccolo?

I was asking about the Fatip Gold verus the Nickel plated ones because I read once before that someone had alignment problems with his nickel Grande but the gold was fine. That is my situation. The nickel Grande I can just nudge it into place but the Piccolo has more blade exposure on one side than the other.

Sorry I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread. Your Retro in gold looks very nice. I'm tempted to get one. It would me my 4th Fatip.

Thanks for asking! I actually was mainly curious to see how it looks in real life since there are hardly any photos of this unicorn in person. The handle looks thicker than I imagined it would be based on the stock photos.

So tell us, what led you to choose the Retro over the Grande or Piccolo?

I was drawn in by the longer handle. I just like longer handles, at the increased moment-arm seems to make it easier for me to control.

Top Bottom