What's new

Down to one!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
What about spending $100-$350 on iron skillets, frying pans, and rice cookers if your hobby is being a chef? No one looks funny at a chef that has a dozen $$$$$$$ cooking utensils, what is the difference?

~doug~
In general you are right, but I clearly have a problem. At least I use each item at least annually!
😜
image.jpg
image.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
people blow unbelievable amount of money on useless things and experiences, no problem there, but buying a couple of $50-$100 razors will raise the eyebrows of many. just my experience.
oh yes, very much so. My wife got used to it, but still wonders at times. Others inform me that they have seen the same razor for 9 bucks somewhere. And so on. :c1:

People also wonder about my other collections, I have quite a lot of trail and running shoes. Minerals and fossils. I am collecting things. But the room filling shoe cupboard of my wife, that's wonderful. I still suspect some of her friends don't talk to nicely about it behind her back, but well.

People still don't know my darkest secrets and collections, over here people usually draw a blank when I mention that I love the TV show "Dexter".

Iridian

Cool and slimy
What about spending $100-$350 on iron skillets, frying pans, and rice cookers if your hobby is being a chef? No one looks funny at a chef that has a dozen $$$$$$$ cooking utensils, what is the difference?
There are dozens of silly TV shows about people cooking food, that stuff is often ridiculous and it is broadcast every day, and my poor grandma is watching this nonstop.

My conclusion: Cooking is more socially acceptable than shaving.

Shaving with a non-caged razor with just a single blade or god beware, a straight razor, must be as savage and alien as the Hyperborean Age of Conan to many people. And they probably know more about that than about shaving.

"Uh, I have a Philips, it's rotating and it's really gud!"

~doug~
I get it. but, it is how it is. I am used to it, I don't talk about it to strangers :)
Like you would have a hard time explaining why you need a speaker cable that costs $$$. Or a coffee grinder that could run a medium sized coffeeshop :D although people tend to like the coffee I serve.

~doug~
I never heard of a member in this club having only one. And not going beyond one.
I never heard of a fishing club member owning only one rod & reel.
I never heard of hunting club members owning only one gun.
We are here in this community to be in a shaving club. It’s a hobby. Go get what you need, to enjoy your hobby.
I have more than one hobby. But when asked by people if I have a hobbies. I say “I only have one hobby.” Shaving.
I love that Look they give me.

I think that’s the look you’re talking about Doug. Beautiful.

UPDATE:

So everyone here has had some amazing advice and @Iridian don't you worry, this is just for a season. This season is: moving across country, being a dad to a 5 month old, starting a new job, partially remodeling the new house, closing down my own business in the old city, and being married to an amazing person with just as much responsibility! So... yeah 1 razor is about all I thought I would have the bandwidth, but I made 2 decisions:

1. I purchased a BB in stainless! They get such glowing reviews here on the forum and if it's truly not a great shaver for me, I'm sure someone would buy it.

2. This little adventure surprised me: I was driving down the road coming from a meeting and I thought "how am I going to travel with such an expensive razor? That would drive me crazy!" just as I had the thought, I saw an antique shop that was having a closing sale. Walked in and within minutes, the proprietor brings me out a box of old shaving gear! I picked up a vintage Gillette (not sure what it is) for $10! So there ya go, now I'll own 2 lol!

Enjoy!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Too many of yall to quote but my 2 cents is simply “yes”. I think it all speaks to the human experience and what I’ll say is this: I often wonder if the odd looks say more about other folks than me buying an expensive razor! I think everyone everywhere (even collectors) reach equilibrium in their life. For example, the hypothetical watch collector that drives a ‘99 civic because they care a lot about watches and not so much about having the newest shiniest car. I think everyone seeks more permission to be more themselves by looking around and going “is this okay?” But at the end of the day it’s the folks that arrive at “I’m okay just how I am” that are the happiest and tend to attract others. $10,000 in cooking gear? $500,000 in watches? $1,500 in razors? The questions are simply thus: do I like me? Does pursuing this allow me to keep all of my priorities straight? If the answer is yes, then right on cowboy!! One very very critical difference is that here in the wet shaving world, no matter where I seem to go and no matter what I seem to ask, this community is thoughtful and encouraging!! I cannot say the same about the watch world or any other particular collecting “group”.

Our strongest trait as a community will always be our ability to NEVER know how a BB or Tech will feel on that guy’s face vs my face and that allows us to all share honest opinions and help everyone else seek truth! It’s what drew me here and keeps me engaged! A win for anyone is a win for everyone. I’m thankful that the perfect shaving setup that works for everyone everywhere doesn’t exist. How boring would that be? So in a way, shaving is life. Everyone’s experiences and beliefs and purchases (lol) are different and that holds in all circles.

And as always…. YMMV ❤️

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Cooking may be more accepted, but cookware can be a lot more arcane than just cooking. Almost no one wants to talk about heat diffusion of heavy tinned copper or caring for carbon steel knives any more than they want to discuss blade gap and reveal or badger versus boar. A few hobbies attract a few more interests. Most guys will talk golf equipment or fly fishing. A lot will talk guitars or cycling. Not so many will talk fountain pens or winding watches. Stereo used to be a hot topic, but it has been pushed aside by ear buds.

So… I’m attempting the impossible but I believe it will be possible for this season of life: one razor.

I’ve had the following:
Leaf Twig
Rockwell 6S
Gamechanger .68 & .84
Karve Overlander (SS)
PAA Monster Slant

I sold them all. I have… NOTHING right now. But I’m leaning towards ordering a Blackland Blackbird.I’ve learned that I like blade feel and decent efficiency — I value the process more than the result! I very rarely chase BBS and I shave every day maybe every other day.

With all of that said, who else has attempted this? Anyone successful? Also, I’m open to suggestions for “the one” if you’re so inclined to give them.

To give you advice saying buy X would be wrong.

But if you buy Blackbird and hate you got 30 days to return for refund.

CAN’T DO THAT WITH MANY RAZOR, you buy, you own.

TIMELESS also is like BB, 30 days.

Okay whew! We’re in the final days of packing up the house so hard to find time to stay active here:

Got the BB in and wow. Just wow. I love the blade feel and I haven’t put enough shaves on it yet to really “get it” fully, but so far, for me at least, it has a lot of blade feel which I love but it’s also smooth and not overly aggressive. This is it! I really enjoy it. And the Lite plate is kind of fun to play with. I’ll have to see if it’s terribly necessary since I really enjoy the standard plate but I could see a use case for it for potential ATG applications. @DesertIguana thanks for the heads up on the 30 days, that will allow me to return that lite plate if I feel it’s redundant!

So… I’m attempting the impossible but I believe it will be possible for this season of life: one razor.

I’ve had the following:
Leaf Twig
Rockwell 6S
Gamechanger .68 & .84
Karve Overlander (SS)
PAA Monster Slant

I sold them all. I have… NOTHING right now. But I’m leaning towards ordering a Blackland Blackbird.I’ve learned that I like blade feel and decent efficiency — I value the process more than the result! I very rarely chase BBS and I shave every day maybe every other day.

With all of that said, who else has attempted this? Anyone successful? Also, I’m open to suggestions for “the one” if you’re so inclined to give them.

I'm currently down to one!...the blackbird!

This is the pinnacle of DE razors for me.
The high efficiency with minimal skin impact is the perfect combo for my requirement.

Plus, the cherry on top is that it's the best looking razor on the market (in my eyes)!

Hi,

I am down to two. My Grandfather's Old Type and my Fasan DoubleSlant.

I need the OT for sideburn trimming as the helix on the Slant is a bit much. And leaves one sideburn pointed forward the the other rearward.

Now, I have several Heirloom razors in the drawer. Can't let any of those go. There are others, rarely used or unused, I could BST I suppose.

But, in practice, I am down to only the two. I do have two of the Fasans as well, primary and backup. They take a bit of time to find out there and I don't want to be without whilst looking. Hence the backup one. ;)

Yes, the photo shows three. That long handled one is my wife's Lady Gillette. :)

Stan

Hard to argue with that, Tech is near perfect.

I've been looking for a modern copy in fact. Found many "inspired by's", but nothing that replicates the Tech's shaving experience (or shininess).

0.58mm gap, +0.08mm exposure, shallow slicing...hmm, seems like the Blackbird is the closest thing to a modern Tech, no wonder why so many love it.

Too bad it doesn't look like a Tech haha.
I heard somewhere that Carbon razor was based on the tech. But, owning neither a Tech nor a Carbon I can’t confirm that.

I’m down to my Grandfathers prewar Tech, a 1948-50 Crat that was a birthday present from my wife, and a Timeless Aluminum that I have mixed feelings about. I had the Brassbird and it is a phenomenal razor. Just too heavy for me. I will probably get a Blackbird in Stainless since it is a bit lighter than Brass.

A quick little thing that I found out… since I ordered the bird with all three plates, it came with two foam inserts in a box. The Pelican 1050 micro houses both foam inserts quite well for storage or traveling! Plus some extra room for blades, small soaps, etc…

I think it’s the best we’ll get unless @Blackland Razors is thinking about releasing their own case?

Edit: more context

I don't think this is something I would ever attempt. . . but if I did, it would be very hard to not have aesthetics play a large role. For example, if it was to have easy shaves, I'd probably keep my Overlander. That said, it wouldn't make the top 5 if I was asked to just keep one shaver with no caveat.

ATT Winsor SSRH with the 3” handle (can’t remember the name). Can I have both the SB and OC plates? I have many of the razors mentioned above, but for the combined smoothness and efficiency the ATT winds for me.

Top Bottom