What's new

Down to one!

So… I’m attempting the impossible but I believe it will be possible for this season of life: one razor.

I’ve had the following:
Leaf Twig
Rockwell 6S
Gamechanger .68 & .84
Karve Overlander (SS)
PAA Monster Slant

I sold them all. I have… NOTHING right now. But I’m leaning towards ordering a Blackland Blackbird.I’ve learned that I like blade feel and decent efficiency — I value the process more than the result! I very rarely chase BBS and I shave every day maybe every other day.

With all of that said, who else has attempted this? Anyone successful? Also, I’m open to suggestions for “the one” if you’re so inclined to give them.

I recommend the aluminum RR Lupo. It is lightweight and inexpensive, with both blade feel and efficiency. The RR Lupo Stainless version is a smaller head and heavier...also available in .72 and .95 blade gaps which gives you more options. I highly recommend the RR Lupo razors, and prefer them over the RR Gamechanger. I like the "option position" in life, and enjoy using a variety of razors. Your one razor experience would not work for obsessed collectors like myself...but I commend you for your discipline to drop down to only one!

I recommend the aluminum RR Lupo. It is lightweight and inexpensive, with both blade feel and efficiency. The RR Lupo Stainless version is a smaller head and heavier...also available in .72 and .95 blade gaps which gives you more options. I highly recommend the RR Lupo razors, and prefer them over the RR Gamechanger. I like the "option position" in life, and enjoy using a variety of razors. Your one razor experience would not work for obsessed collectors like myself...but I commend you for your discipline to drop down to only one!
I appreciate the insight! So my life is truly a chaotic circus right now and will be for the next ~6 months so after that I’ll reevaluate the “one” razor plan 😂

So I should mention, one razor but I’m okay with having multiple plates for said razor! The Lupo is one that I’ve been wanting to try!

Blackbird is an excellent choice. If I had to keep one I would hesitate between my blackbird and progress but I must confess I use the BB on a daily basis most of the times. It's more classy, I'm appealed to its aesthetic, weight and perfect balance. I'd like to test the longer handle and the Ti version, though...

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Heresy! Razors are not women. There are no repercussions, religious or moral issues for having many, they just require some storage space. I am talking about razors, if anyone is in doubt.

I don't know you, the only thing that I know about you is that you really want to use just one razor, which is really sad. But well, there are people who just use cartridges or an electric shaver, so things could be worse.

This said, I have four options for you:

MILD: Lambda Ares. Mild and safe but super efficient, maybe Lambda Enigma would be a more fitting name. I still wonder how something can be so efficient but still very mild. A very safe and beautiful bet. Wish it would come with a brass stand instead of its mahogany box.

AGGRESSIVE: Yaqi Harlequin. Very efficient OC based on a Gillette, supposedly a Gillette Goodwill. If you want some blade and give your razor a chance to tell you clearly through pain that your shaving technique isn't good enough.

MEDIUM: Timeless .95 OC. I suggest the Ti Crown or the long Barberpole handle, my favorites. You can alternatively get the Timeless Slim 0.5 OC which is very efficient but it is polarizing and not everyone's favorite. The .95 OC is a safe bet.

FORUM CHOICE: Blackland Blackbird. Steel and polished. SB plate, OC might not be for everyone, I found the tips a bit needly. My stand often tilts the razor, that pissed me off quite a bit. It is a very good razor and everyone on the forum seems to have one.

Now let's get philosophical: You are neither a smurf, me, nor some imaginary average user of the forum. Which razor suits you best for life requires experimentation. Maybe your grail razor is among the mentioned ones, but you have on choice but to try and sell the others.

The way to have only one razor and to be happy in such a sad and deplorable state is not to read Badger & Blade. Before I read Badger & Blade, I had a R89, which I didn't like, and a R41 which I did like. I used it for years. With Polsilver Super Iridium blades. The inspiration for my user name.

UPDATE:

So everyone here has had some amazing advice and @Iridian don't you worry, this is just for a season. This season is: moving across country, being a dad to a 5 month old, starting a new job, partially remodeling the new house, closing down my own business in the old city, and being married to an amazing person with just as much responsibility! So... yeah 1 razor is about all I thought I would have the bandwidth, but I made 2 decisions:

1. I purchased a BB in stainless! They get such glowing reviews here on the forum and if it's truly not a great shaver for me, I'm sure someone would buy it.

2. This little adventure surprised me: I was driving down the road coming from a meeting and I thought "how am I going to travel with such an expensive razor? That would drive me crazy!" just as I had the thought, I saw an antique shop that was having a closing sale. Walked in and within minutes, the proprietor brings me out a box of old shaving gear! I picked up a vintage Gillette (not sure what it is) for $10! So there ya go, now I'll own 2 lol!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
UPDATE:

So everyone here has had some amazing advice and @Iridian don't you worry, this is just for a season. This season is: moving across country, being a dad to a 5 month old, starting a new job, partially remodeling the new house, closing down my own business in the old city, and being married to an amazing person with just as much responsibility! So... yeah 1 razor is about all I thought I would have the bandwidth, but I made 2 decisions:

1. I purchased a BB in stainless! They get such glowing reviews here on the forum and if it's truly not a great shaver for me, I'm sure someone would buy it.

2. This little adventure surprised me: I was driving down the road coming from a meeting and I thought "how am I going to travel with such an expensive razor? That would drive me crazy!" just as I had the thought, I saw an antique shop that was having a closing sale. Walked in and within minutes, the proprietor brings me out a box of old shaving gear! I picked up a vintage Gillette (not sure what it is) for $10! So there ya go, now I'll own 2 lol!
I would have recommended the Blackbird, but since you already ordered one, you might want to order the Lite plate to go along with your Blackbird so you have options. Then put your name on the Wolfman waiting list for your next "one" razor.

~doug~

I would have recommended the Blackbird, but since you already ordered one, you might want to order the Lite plate to go along with your Blackbird so you have options. Then put your name on the Wolfman waiting list for your next "one" razor.

~doug~
So a bit more context, right as we're gearing up to move, I closed the biggest deal of my career and my wife said "get whichever BB you want!" well I'm kind of a sucker for SS, not a huge fan of Ti. So I got every plate: OC, SB, and Lite. I'm looking forward to using it! Also... I've heard that you make some nifty handles @Rosseforp and if you're still at it, I may inquire when this season of life has passed!

Also another littler update, looks like the old Gillette I randomly picked up is a "Fat Handle Tech" produced sometime between 1938-1942 (based on forum info, I have no actual clue). So @ajkel64 you must have willed this into existence, and for that, I thank you!

Nice choices. I think the Lite plate might end up being perfect for you.

I was going to plug the smaller gap Lupo (0.58), which is simply amazing, but the BB Lite might actually end up being functionally pretty similar.

So… I’m attempting the impossible but I believe it will be possible for this season of life: one razor.

I’ve had the following:
Leaf Twig
Rockwell 6S
Gamechanger .68 & .84
Karve Overlander (SS)
PAA Monster Slant

I sold them all. I have… NOTHING right now. But I’m leaning towards ordering a Blackland Blackbird.I’ve learned that I like blade feel and decent efficiency — I value the process more than the result! I very rarely chase BBS and I shave every day maybe every other day.

With all of that said, who else has attempted this? Anyone successful? Also, I’m open to suggestions for “the one” if you’re so inclined to give them.
Honestly, in order to get down to one it'd be difficult picking something you haven't tried (like the Blackbird). Only way I see myself picking one is after trying several razors for an extended period of time.
But for me, one would be mundane. Part of the fun in this is using different razors.
Good luck!

old_pine...
Looking forward to your shaving experiences with your BB and the 3 baseplates...and the vintage Gillette Tech. IMHO, the Tech may be a little to mild for your preferences, but the vintage pre-war Techs are great shavers. Hope you are happy with all of them.

lasta

Blade Biter
A Gillette Tech is all that you need. It is much copied and it just works, especially when paired with a sharp blade such as a Feather.

Hard to argue with that, Tech is near perfect.

I've been looking for a modern copy in fact. Found many "inspired by's", but nothing that replicates the Tech's shaving experience (or shininess).

0.58mm gap, +0.08mm exposure, shallow slicing...hmm, seems like the Blackbird is the closest thing to a modern Tech, no wonder why so many love it.

Too bad it doesn't look like a Tech haha.

There are no repercussions, religious or moral issues for having many
are you sure about that? did you never get a strange look from the family? :) I was asked "why do you need N razors?" N is an arbitrary number greater than 2.
people blow unbelievable amount of money on useless things and experiences, no problem there, but buying a couple of $50-$100 razors will raise the eyebrows of many. just my experience.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
are you sure about that? did you never get a strange look from the family? :) I was asked "why do you need N razors?" N is an arbitrary number greater than 2.
people blow unbelievable amount of money on useless things and experiences, no problem there, but buying a couple of $50-$100 razors will raise the eyebrows of many. just my experience.
What about spending $100-$350 on iron skillets, frying pans, and rice cookers if your hobby is being a chef? No one looks funny at a chef that has a dozen $$$$$$$ cooking utensils, what is the difference?

~doug~

Top Bottom