What's new

Do you sterilize brand new razors?

The razor doesn't either, the blade does.
Albeit, the razor is in very close proximity to the blade, and therefore any break in the skin.
But we touch the items I mentioned with hands, and hands touch areas where you may not even realize have a skin break.
I'd love to see any legitimate article or white paper which linked the razors used by the membership here with illnesses.
So be sure to sanitize single blade razors.

Not a member, but George Herbert, 5th Earl of Carnarvon (yes, that Lord Carnarvon of King Tut fame) has long been anecdotally said to have died from a razor cut on an infected mosquito bite, leading to septicemia and death. Sanitizing his razor likely wouldn't have helped, but I suppose you could say he died from a razor nick. Type of razor unknown, but I'm guessing a straight.

Hard to like this post but why not?

So, by this reasoning, what we should really be worried about is sterilizing new razor blades!

This would include cartridges and disposables, which, though they are generally sealed in plastic bags, probably have not been sterilized before leaving the factory, so bacteria and viruses could, just possibly, survive indefinitely sealed in those bags, just waiting to attack your tired mug one gray morning.

However, the sealed plastic bags are a step in the right direction. Why don't they sell razor blades in sealed plastic bags, too, either the carton, or, better, the tucks, or better yet, each individual blade?

Of course, they would still need to be sterilized, first. Personna Med Prep claim to be, but are they each hermetically sealed?

Actually, I used to be concerned about new blades, and ran them under the hottest water for awhile, more out of concern for removing a possible paraffin protective coating. But then I abandoned that, figuring it might not be good for the important coatings.

So now I just dip my razor and blade in warm water for a moment. I think it's OK. You know, municipal water systems do put chlorine in the water for a reason.

However, if you are not shaving with chlorine-treated water, perhaps your well water, or you are shaving on the side of a river, or a muddy creek, then you could have problems! That's why India's Vi-John shave cream in a tube adds tea tree oil, as a germicide.

BTW, in India, the better restaurants soak raw vegetables in potassium permangenate. It kills germs and even the parasite giardia through oxidization, and even breaks down some pesticides, leaving the food safe to eat after rinsed off. The possible problems with using this on shaving gear: it does this through oxidization (rust) and can stain things purple. But what is your life worth?

Hypochondriacs of the world unite!

Let's all grow beards!

OK, that's a bit too radical, even for me.

Let's just all buy autoclaves:

-=-

Joking aside, when I was in India, I found that most restaurants did not wash their dishes and utensils in hot, soapy water. I actually saw some young assistant holding stuff under a water pipe on the side of a road, rubbing the utensils and stuff together to "clean" them. This included wooden chop sticks.

Well, the biggest concern was giardia, "beaver feaver," a waterborne parasite. It is killed either by bringing water to a boil briefly, or simply fully drying the dishes, utensils, toothbrushes, etc. If the dish is dry, you are safe; if it has drops of water on it, you can get sick.

I got sick from giardia many times. But, to my surprise, I did not get sick from other germs on dishes, as far as I could tell (getting lots of vaccinations helped). That's why I say rinsing off shaving gear and letting it dry thoroughly will usually do the trick.

Oh, and if you are traveling abroad to countries like that, my suggestion is bring your own flatware to restaurants, and maybe even your own drinking mug. And do not put local ice in your drink, unless it is straight whiskey -- the alcohol does seem to help.

-=0-
Great. First I have to worry about my toothbrush and now I can never eat at a restaurant in India.

I think we need this guy to weigh in.

Selection_011.png

I think we need this guy to weigh in.

View attachment 1290422

Now that is a guy with brass cojones!

I wonder what this guy has to say:

Note: I, for one, do not get my medical advice from George Carlin, particularly regarding his use of only one brush. But he does make some valid points. However, the whole point of vaccinations is to strengthen your immune system without the risk of getting sick with things like polio (they have since cleaned up the Hudson River, so that's out). I feel MUCH healthier and stronger after getting my COVID vaccinations; it seems to have strengthened my immune system's response to other viruses. Now what we need is a vaccination against razors (or is that called a "tetanus shot"?).

Oh, and adult language warning, for those who have never heard of Carlin.

-=-

Why did B&B suddenly turn black? Did a member die from a dirty razor?

Last edited:
My Sonicare charger has a built UV sanitizer.

Do you actually believe that it is doing anything of value? It it capable of sanitizing the area inside of the brush head where light cannot penetrate? I tell you, it cannot. It may make you feel better, but it is a useless device.

Do you actually believe that it is doing anything of value? It it capable of sanitizing the area inside of the brush head where light cannot penetrate? I tell you, it cannot. It may make you feel better, but it is a useless device.

Whether it works or not, I truly don’t care. Nor did I say I use it, but it is there. Maybe you can contact them and let me know what they say.

Last edited:
I think I've got it!

You know those Lillicraps razor blade sharpeners made out of green glass, that stuff they call "uranium"?

Well, I heard from an informed source that this uranium glass gives off some kind of "radiation" that kills all sorts of germs and other creepy stuff.

So, just put your new razor next to your Lillicraps sharpener overnight, and it should be germfree by morning. Want to sterilize your new razor blades, your disposable razor, your recently used razor, your shaving brush, your toothbrush, or even that filthy money you were handed at the supermarket? I bet it would work on them, too.

Can't find your Lillicraps? Well, if eB is all sold out, just do a search for "uranium." They've got all sorts of neat stuff, including green glass uranium marbles. But don't put all your marbles in one place, especially your pants pocket.

-=-

Etsy is veritably exploding with uranium plates, goblets, jewelry and other trinkets. And if you are the organic type who prefers his uranium raw and unrefined, Amazon has uranium ore for sale.

Last edited:

Actually, a number of peer-reviewed studies validate that UV radiation is effective at reducing the number of pathogens on toothbrush heads with nylon bristles post-brushing (specifically S. mutans and S. aureus, common oral bacteria, but several others), depending on intensity and duration of exposure. Article example:

I used to teach my residents how to read journals (check sponsorship, verify statistics, look at controls and study groups), and the above is a very limited study, but in general, UV radiation is very effective at sanitizing surfaces by killing bacteria and denaturing viruses - including those on your toothbrush head, and yes, even in the crevices with sufficient intensity. That said, the number of valid studies that demonstrate the benefit of reducing pathogens on your toothbrush is sparse. Philosophically and practically, killing pathogens in, on and around your person is a good thing. Whether that translates to an overall health benefit, well, depends. I'm more of the school of thought that, like chicken soup, couldn't hurt. YMMV.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Actually, a number of peer-reviewed studies validate that UV radiation is effective at reducing the number of pathogens on toothbrush heads with nylon bristles post-brushing (specifically S. mutans and S. aureus, common oral bacteria, but several others), depending on intensity and duration of exposure. Article example:

I used to teach my residents how to read journals (check sponsorship, verify statistics, look at controls and study groups), and the above is a very limited study, but in general, UV radiation is very effective at sanitizing surfaces by killing bacteria and denaturing viruses - including those on your toothbrush head, and yes, even in the crevices with sufficient intensity. That said, the number of valid studies that demonstrate the benefit of reducing pathogens on your toothbrush is sparse. Philosophically and practically, killing pathogens in, on and around your person is a good thing. Whether that translates to an overall health benefit, well, depends. I'm more of the school of thought that, like chicken soup, couldn't hurt. YMMV.
I didn't read the link, but a question.... Is it necessary to worry about my OWN oral bugs turning on me? I figure my toothbrush and I can be friends as long as my wife doesn't use it to scrub the grout lines?

I didn't read the link, but a question.... Is it necessary to worry about my OWN oral bugs turning on me? I figure my toothbrush and I can be friends as long as my wife doesn't use it to scrub the grout lines?

Actually, scrubbing the grout lines would probably be similar to your oral flora - nothing in there but a little Strep, Salmonella, Staph and E. Coli! :001_smile

But statistically, your own bugs will likely be what eventually kills you (hopefully much later). Humans walk around with such a zoo on board, we really don't need any external factors to finally push us over the edge. So slay away - no harm in improving your odds!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That will really sterilize you.
At one the local hospitals someone was being treated for ovarian cancer and one of my instructors told the story about something a custodian found on the floor that had fallen out of the patient. It was in the hallway, not far from the radiation/chemo area. YEARS ago this happened. Supposedly it had lain on the floor a couple weeks. Lol! Guess what it was! (Ya know, it could have been for a prostate cancer patient. Probably was. My brane has free range these days, sorry!)

Top Bottom