What's new

Do you sterilize brand new razors?

Just got a new razor in the mail (Razorock Game Changer.68) Not planning on doing any more than rinse and go. Now the brushes I'm waiting on (1 new and 1 vintage) will be a different story.

Now that is a guy with brass cojones!

I wonder what this guy has to say:

Note: I, for one, do not get my medical advice from George Carlin, particularly regarding his use of only one brush. But he does make some valid points. However, the whole point of vaccinations is to strengthen your immune system without the risk of getting sick with things like polio (they have since cleaned up the Hudson River, so that's out). I feel MUCH healthier and stronger after getting my COVID vaccinations; it seems to have strengthened my immune system's response to other viruses. Now what we need is a vaccination against razors (or is that called a "tetanus shot"?).

Oh, and adult language warning, for those who have never heard of Carlin.

-=-

Why did B&B suddenly turn black? Did a member die from a dirty razor?
OMG. So funny (and true). Thanks. I needed this!

After I returned one razor to the seller......I wondered if they sold it to the next customer and since that day I always at least soak them in alcohol.
That's the concern. Do you really think companies are throwing out all the returned razors they get? I'll be cleaning my new ones from now on.

Actually, scrubbing the grout lines would probably be similar to your oral flora - nothing in there but a little Strep, Salmonella, Staph and E. Coli! :001_smile

But statistically, your own bugs will likely be what eventually kills you (hopefully much later). Humans walk around with such a zoo on board, we really don't need any external factors to finally push us over the edge. So slay away - no harm in improving your odds!
Oh, this ^ was an encouraging post. (Anybody got the number of a Suicide Prevention Hotline?)

I can't believe this thread is still growing.

There might not be a big risk in public restrooms, but there is a risk. Many people in "the general public" are total idiots when it comes to health. That's why disease spreads. We may not all die, but we do all get sick, generally several times a year. And that's from disease that is spread from other people who don't give a damn.

Tip: Use a paper towel to open the door when you leave.

While I have talked with some fine doctors, the average doctor ain't that smart. I'm familiar with the history of medicine, and the medical profession has given some genuinely harmful advice to the public over the years.

Sterilize new razors?

Give me a break. Do you understand what "sterilize" means. You would need to use an autoclave. (Hmmm, are you worried about those foreign workers handling your razor?)

Clean, wash with soap, rinse with hot water - fine. Do it.

As to the person who ridiculed the idea of washing new clothes before wearing, OMG, of course I wash all my clothes before wearing them. Not so much because of germs, but because of all the weird chemicals used to manufacture the fabric and dyes. (Just look at the color of the water in the washing machine when you wash new clothes.) I don't want that clinging to my skin for 16 hours. Doesn't everyone wash new clothes?

If you feel you must sterilize your new razor, then I have a question for you:

What do you do with your toothbrush? Do you use the same toothbrush three times a day, every day? And where do you leave your toothbrush between use?

You are going to stick that in your mouth?

That, to me, is gross.

Here's a simple solution: Have about five toothbrushes and rotate them. Let each one dry out before you use it again. Simply drying out will take care of most problems. If you have a medical condition that warrants more, then sterilize them with a bit of bleach between use. But letting your brush dry helps a lot. Same thing with your dishes and flatware.

As to used shaving paraphernalia, most arrive relatively clean. But some (those corroded New Types) arrive dirty and dusty from sitting in a barn or attic for decades. I am less worried about germs on the razor than about dust mites and mold on the cases. Be careful where you open them -- preferably outside.

But the fundamental question is: Has anyone gotten skin infections from shaving with a dirty razor or brush?

Of course, there is a simple way to reduce this risk: Just wash your face with soap and water after shaving.

Yes, there are risks. But some people worry way too much.

-=-

Ice machines. That is, indeed, a problem area. You can't very well use soap on them. It is highly contingent on the quality of work done by employees. It is less of a problem in the U.S., where there are health inspections. But it can be a big problem in some foreign countries. Every now and then, when we used to have competent local newspapers*, you would read stories about a restaurant getting into trouble for not keeping their ice maker clean, and customers getting sick.

* That Patch **** is an embarrassingly pathetic excuse for journalism. That these "stories" get picked up by Google News is an affront. I made the mistake of opening one recently, and I wanted to scream, it was so brainlessly written with an absolute minimum amount of effort. It was the first time I saw the expression "would you believe it?" in something purporting to be news reporting. Actually, no, I can't.
Brother BigSpender is a newbie to B&B. I find I agree with much of what he says in his various posts.

Looking at a used three-piece razor I bought, it occurs to me that a place germs could hide is on the threads of the post and on the handle. They tend to be dirty and greasy. So on a used razor, you may want to give them some extra attention with a brush, toothpick, etc. I do. You can also get a clue to how much use a razor had through the threads, even if the rest has been spiffed up.

But on a new razor, the threads sure better be clean, or....

Yes, steam or boling water is best to sterilize. you can put your new razor in a clean pot, add disinfecting soap. Then bring water to boil (200fahrenheit) for 30 minutes. Voila sterilized.

Alcohol disinfects.

scrubbing bubbles works great for me too, especially removing the white residue from soaps. Dawn Platinum never fails me as well for cleaning a razor.

If I were a razor I would not want to be submerged in water and boiled for 30 minutes. How do we spell "Overkill" or is it Over-kill?"

BTW how do you folks feel about shaving with a razor that is covered with thousands of dead and decaying germs?

Just wondering, not saying,

Top Bottom