What's new

DFS or BBS - four passes

I hear guys can do it with a straight or probably a cartridge razor.

I have to do the gradual reduction thing otherwise the regrowth is an issue. I wouldn't go ATG on the 1st pass.

- Aaron

Yes, I do use a straight razor, but in the past I have used a DE and a cartridge, it really does not matter if you take the time and care to do it right. The number of passes or the type of razor used has no effect on your beards growth rate, so it will have no effect on how long the shave lasts as long as you get it close enough.

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant by 'regrowth is an issue' is when I go 1st pass ATG I get ingrowns and irritation. That is why I just don't do it.

- Aaron

I usually do a 4 pass. 2 WTG and 2 ATG,one ear to nose and one nose to ear. Gradual beard reduction is the only way to avoid irritation for me. One pass leaves lots of stubble. I'm trying to reduce my number of passes to three. Yesterday I'd say I had BBS on my face and as others have said, mostly that just happens every so often. I would say DFS is the norm for me.

I can never go ATG no matter how many reduction passes I use. My skin will not tolerate it and as someone else has already said, an irritation free shave is the only successful shave.

I simply settle for CCS as the norm on my neck with DFS being the thing that just happens occasionally there. My neck is too sensitive to go directly across the grain so I've found a soft angle across the grain gives me the best level of closeness without irritation but it's never as close as it is on my face.

I can typically get BBS with 2 well executed passes.
First pass WTG with a couple of XTG.
Second pass ATG with a couple of XTG.
Bada Bing!

It's looking like most guys who get to 4 passes are doing so for a BBS shave. Is there anyone who does 4 passes but not for BBS? I think I have to cut down on the passes.

My current shave leaves me smooth in every direction except SN, or up. Thanks for the answers guys. :thumbup:

- Aaron

I usually do 3 passes. It is a modified version of the method described in this thread. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24562

I stick to 3 passes because I never liked ATG and I modified the method to work with the way my beard grows. I usually get DFS without trying and I am still learning technique. I feel like I could throw a 4th pass in there because I never have any irritation after 3 but I don't see the point of it. For me, I aim for at least getting CCS but it usually just turns out that I get DFS with 3 passes. I feel like with 4 passes I would expect DFS every time and maybe get BBS.

Top Bottom