What's new

D&R Ryback

Pipes & Cigars carries a brand called Daughters & Ryan. D&R tobaccos are well-priced, and they seem to be high quality leaf. Most also appear to be RYO tobaccos marked/marketed as pipe tobacco, but that's not really a problem for me.

D&R Ryback is made from burley and fire-cured tobacco (note that the "gold" version also has virginia). I recently ordered a pound of the regular Ryback. It is shag-cut, and in the bag it smells like bacon which means it probably has a significant portion of fire-cured in it. It also came very dry, which is actually quite nice since you get more tobacco for your money that way (you're not paying for water). I tried smoking it a couple of times like it arrived, but it burns way too fast and doesn't have much flavor.

I've since rehydrated the tobacco (moist towel draped over a glass bowl full of some of the tobacco, 24hrs) and that makes all the difference! The cut allows you to stuff a lot in the pipe and pack it relatively tightly and maintain a good draw. The flavor is a rich mixture of burley nuttiness and fire-cured smokiness. This is my first exposure to fire-cured in a pipe, and I'm pleasantly surprised how good it is -- a totally different beast than latakia. The nicotine content seems to be on the high side of medium, but it's by no means a nicotine hammer. It goes great with a peaty scotch or whisky, or a smoky stout or porter. I find that the shag cut is very easy to light and burns well without requiring too much tamping. The room note is sweet (like a cigarette) with a bit of smokiness that makes it smell almost like barbecuing meat.

If smoked too fast, it can get harsh. While I can't seem to get it to bite, the flavor gets pretty sour if you push it. Keep it at a normal pace, though, and you're rewarded with full-bodied deliciousness. It's hard to beat the value, too.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate this blend a 7.

Interesting. I've generally avoided the RYO bags of leaf so far, even though I was surprised by the Smoker's Pride Rum when I had a bowl of it out of someone bag at a camping trip.

i bought two ounces and it arrived dry. i will give a bowl of it a shot today. I may need to add some moisture to it like you did too.

I had a bowl of it in a MM Country Gentleman and it smoked well with a good amount in the bowl and just a few relights. The bowl lasted pretty good too. I am a new pipe smoker, but I smoked cigars for years and typically gravitated towards strong spicy smokes and while this has some good strength and had some nicotine it seemed to be not as flavorful as i would like.

I do like their Picayune blend though and may try blending the two together to see what results. If the Ryback blend matches your flavor profile it seems like a good deal and will provide a decent smoke.

Thanks for commenting!

For me, Ryback's flavor was pretty flat when the tobacco was too dry. Try humidifying it for a bit if you didn't already do that...for me, it made all the difference.

Thanks for commenting!

For me, Ryback's flavor was pretty flat when the tobacco was too dry. Try humidifying it for a bit if you didn't already do that...for me, it made all the difference.
Thank you for the tip! I will do it and update when I hydrate some. I will try putting some in a bowl with a damp towel over it for the night.

Your fescription of being flat tasting was right on for me as well. Hopefully with a little hydration it will improve my initial thoughts of it.

Last edited:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Thank you for the tip! I will do it and update when I hydrate some. I will try putting some in a bowl with a damp towel over it for the night.

Your fescription of being flat tasting was right on for me as well. Hopefully with a little hydration it will improve my initial thoughts of it.

I love Brown Leaf science experiments!

I know that Semois Manil also is very dry. I wonder if the same procedure would change the flavor profile of it?

Well an update. At around 10pm last night I put enough for a full bowl of a MM General in a stainless kitchen bowl and put a damp towel over it. Big difference in the morning. Left the towel off for 5 minutes and packed the bowl. The smoke was definitely better and did not burn as fast. Can't really say it changed the taste profile dramatically, but it certainly made for a better experience and I did like it more. I will try adding some Perique or the D&R Picayune blend to it to see what results as far as taste.

First experience trying to re-hydrate tobacco and it worked like a charm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom