What's new

Preferred pipe length?

Lately I've been reaching for, and buying, pipes in the ca. six-inch length -- overall, I mean. A year or more ago I had a Savinelli mini-churchwarden, but I traded it. Now I find I'm most attracted to pipes that approach or even exceed six inches. It's not the idea of getting a cooler smoke; since I learned (here) about drying my tobacco and smoking more slowly, hot smoke has not been a problem. Apparently I just like the esthetic of a longer pipe such as my Dr. Grabow Commodore Canadian and my Mastercraft and Peterson billiards. The LaCroix bulldog I just ordered is six inches, too.

How about you? Is there a range of lengths you seem to prefer?

All of mine are in the 6", or slightly shorter, range. Except a clay pipe that I bought in Colonial Williamsburg in the early '90s. I haven't tried to smoke that one since shortly after I bought it. I smoked it too hot and didn't enjoy the experience.

I will have to find it and see if I have figured out how to smoke it yet. If I recall correctly it is about 10" or maybe a little more.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't care too much for nose warmers myself. 6 inches is a pretty good length for me, but I've some that are a bit longer in the 7-8 inch range, and I do enjoy my church wardens which are considerably longer.
Ropp has the Gargantua series which are not really church wardens, and are styled as regular pipe shapes, but in the 10 - 12 inch range, and these (for some reason) really appeal to me.

Here's the Ropp Gargantua Pot which is nearly 13 inches long!

002-598-16999.6629.jpg

Last edited:

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Generally, I like pipes that are 6" and longer. I have a few cobs that at around the 7"-8" length and smoke them fairly consistently. The nose warmers I have I tend to use when it's cooler. Finally, I do have a churchwarden; however, the bowl in that is big and easily a 2+ hour smoke. That one is 12" long.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
When I first started my pipe journey I had to have one of everything (almost) and acquired a couple of Churchwardens and a few semi-churchwardens. Since I'm usually sitting when I smoke, length doesn't really matter that much to me, except I don't really care for the shorter pipes. The only short pipes I have are B&B LE's and I rarely smoke them. At least half of my pipes are variations of the 3/4 bent jaw hanger variety. So the majority of my pipes probably fall in the 5.5-6.5 inch range.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have three around 12cm long, but one of those is my Nording Compass, which I also have a churchwarden stem for. That stem takes it to around 27cm. The rest are around 14cm - 15cm long, with the exception or my Ben Wade Reader at 17cm.

Top Bottom