What's new

Costco's 'Kirkland' brand

Lululemon is made by Lululemon Athletica Canada, Costco's Tuff Athletics is made by C&O Apparel. I don't know about the others, but I suspect the whole Costco's house brand stuff is really made by desirable name brands is rumor across the board.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
They're made by those brands, or they're knockoffs of those brands?

Specifically, it's called store brands manufacturing. Manufacturers make products for stores to sell as their own brand. Stores then sell these identical or similar products as a discount. Manufacturers like it because it increases sales by a large amount, without cutting into primary product line market share.

Store brands come from a lot of places, and it's a good idea to take internet rumors with a grain of salt. Everyone wants to get a good deal, but the idea that a warehouse club is stocked to the rafters in store brands that are premium brands in disguise ought to evoke some skepticism.

Especially when the cases that the OEM can be determined with reasonable certainty, the rumors are false.

I find that the Kirkland white cotton undershirts are top notch. They blow away Hanes and any other brand I have tried. They are nice and thick and hold up very well over time. They look great under a dress shirt. And of course the price is right.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The remarkable thing about Costco is the money saving over time. My expenses initially shot up, because I was paying more gross dollars. After the initial jump, outlay per month has gone way down, because I am paying fewer marginal dollars per good, and my stock of goods is lasting much longer.

Yes, it can make sense over time ... except in the case where you end up throwing out an expired five-gallon tub of mayonnaise that's only one-third empty.

Oddly enough, the thing I like the least about COSTCO is their clothing. Most of it is very small. I'm 6ft 300lbs and not much fits. There are good Under armor knockoffs there.

Form me the benefits of COSTCO are the meds, cooked chickens, great foods at the food court thing, and bulk dry goods.

Several years ago, sitting in the barber's chair, we got to talking about barbecuing, and my barber said Costco had the best meats for grilling. He said a friend of his, a professional griller, swore by the meat at Costco. My wife and I now buy chicken thighs, Italian sausages, ground beef and huge steaks there.
On one shopping excursion last year I found a huge pallet of Clarks suede desert boots at half the cost elsewhere (about 55 bucks Canadian!). My wife took a cellphone picture of the shoes and sent it off to my son up in Ottawa, and asked if we should pick him up a pair. Three minutes later he replied yes...what a time we live in!
To bring this right around back to the Haberdashery Forum, I needed "proper" undershirts for a wedding several months ago (the white, wife-beater kind...sorry, I know there's probably a more PC term), and found a three pack for under 8 bucks. Once again another cellphone photo up to Ottawa, and again another yes. The undershirt I wore for the wedding worked great (good Lord, I'm now extolling the virtues of wife-beaters), and the next morning both my son and I were strolling about the hotel room in our undershirts like kings. My wife and the boy's girlfriend were suitably appalled/impressed by the display...pants were worn at the time, should anyone ask.
My wife has bought more clothing from Costco than I, so she'd have a better gauge of quality. I tend to buy my jeans and outerwear at VV Boutique (Value Village thrift stores), because they're just jeans and sweatshirts.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
"proper" undershirts for a wedding several months ago (the white, wife-beater kind...sorry, I know there's probably a more PC term),

The common terms are "A-shirt" and "tank-top"; "singlet" is also used occasionally, and in England apparently they are called a "vest". (And a vest is a waistcoat, and a sweater-vest is a jumper. Blimey!)

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
The problem with my Costco is they are always sold out of the XXL clothing :(
Go online brother! They have a lot of tall sizes online too. And the bigger belt sizes. Everything ships free and can be returned at your local B&M Costco.

I find Kirkland signature to be one of the more reliable brands. They find decent quality for a decent price. Most of the time they get it right. You used to be able to say that about Kenmore but not for quite a few years now.

Another fan of Costco. Their shirts and socks are hard to beat. Plus, the markups on designer merchandise is far less than a department store.

My stepson bought a diamond engagement ring there. When he went to get it appraised it was valued at 30% more than what he paid for it. In fact, the jeweler was shocked it came from a Costco store since the quality was so good.

My stepson bought a diamond engagement ring there. When he went to get it appraised it was valued at 30% more than what he paid for it. In fact, the jeweler was shocked it came from a Costco store since the quality was so good.

I hear this over and over again. I read an article from a jeweler not too long ago that specifically mentioned going to Costco for a real bargain, as far as jewelry goes. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, there may have been a similar article linked to in this thread.

Another fan of Costco. Their shirts and socks are hard to beat. Plus, the markups on designer merchandise is far less than a department store.

Costco got sued and lost $19 Million when they made jewelry as high of quality as Tiffany and calling them "Tiffany Settings." 8 million of that was from "legal damages," whatever that means unless Tiffany literally spent $8 million in lawyer fees to sue Costco.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
How bout thems big old wieners they got for like $1.50?
anyone else suck one of them down after shopping?

Occasionally. It's a good way to feed the boys on the cheap when we go shopping, though. $1.50 for the hot dog and a big cup of pop

They even sell Creed! Their clothing is good value, so is the 15 pack San Pellegrino and prunes. And of course free food samples and cheap gas.

We have found the OJ to be of as good or higher quality than national brands and a huge savings. A savings of about $2/can for the large cans. Stuff like bread, milk and the like would get tossed as we wouldn't use it quickly enough. Cheerios, OJ, TP, allergy pills (OTC Kirkland brand Zyrtec) as well as OTC/Kirkland branded Flonase nasal spray. Huge savings. I haven't tried dress shirts or the like.

Top Bottom