What's new

Are you anachronistic?

I read Latin each day, I taught my children to read Latin from age 7, and I am one of the last of the Irish Jacobites, longing for the return of the Stuarts and Catholic divine right monarchy.
View attachment 1587348
I took one semester of Latin in junior college. I recently saw my old German teacher (an excellent teacher she was), and she’s now retired from university teaching and teaching Latin in our Holy Family Cathedral classical school. I spoke about the desire to learn Latin, and she said there is an excellent textbook for me to learn on my own.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I took one semester of Latin in junior college. I recently saw my old German teacher (an excellent teacher she was), and she’s now retired from university teaching and teaching Latin in our Holy Family Cathedral classical school. I spoke about the desire to learn Latin, and she said there is an excellent textbook for me to learn on my own.
For church Latin, I'd recommend John Collins, A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin. Using a Latin-English psalter or breviary each day really helps as well. For Classical Latin, nothing beats Orberg's Lingua Latina. Do it!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For church Latin, I'd recommend John Collins, A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin. Using a Latin-English psalter or breviary each day really helps as well. For Classical Latin, nothing beats Orberg's Lingua Latina. Do it!
I took a great deal of Latin and won the school Latin prize. Latin I was by far the most valuable course I ever took. Later I became a lawyer, and many people say something to the effect of how great Latin must be for your vocabulary. I found it immeasurably more useful for providing a detailed structure for understanding nuances of any language, mainly my own English, such as dative versus objective versus ablative or perfect imperfect versus pluperfect. It truly helps one write with precision.

I asked a retired priest what they used to use before the current 4 volume liturgy of the hours set (in English), and he said a 3 volume divine office set (in Latin). I’d be interested in getting that. I’ve been praying the liturgy of the hours for some years now, and was curious about the Latin prayers. I know basic prayers in Latin (for example, I can pray the rosary in Latin, learned from listening to Pope JPII), but I’d like to actually read Latin, like Church writings or Thomas Aquinas. 🙂

Owen Bawn

I asked a retired priest what they used to use before the current 4 volume liturgy of the hours set (in English), and he said a 3 volume divine office set (in Latin). I’d be interested in getting that. I’ve been praying the liturgy of the hours for some years now, and was curious about the Latin prayers. I know basic prayers in Latin (for example, I can pray the rosary in Latin, learned from listening to Pope JPII), but I’d like to actually read Latin, like Church writings or Thomas Aquinas. 🙂
Baronius Press in the UK has a pre Vatican II Latin English Breviary of very high quality but it is very expensive. Clear Creek Abbey or OL of Guadalupe monasteries in the USA sell a Latin-English Monastic Diurnal, containing all of the hours except Matins. You can find it for about $80. Also, check eBay, but be careful. If you see one on eBay you're interested in and you want someone else to look at it send me a DM here and I'll be happy to look.

By the way, that 4 volume Liturgy of the Hours you mentioned is available in Latin.

Baronius Press in the UK has a pre Vatican II Latin English Breviary of very high quality but it is very expensive. Clear Creek Abbey or OL of Guadalupe monasteries in the USA sell a Latin-English Monastic Diurnal, containing all of the hours except Matins. You can find it for about $80. Also, check eBay, but be careful. If you see one on eBay you're interested in and you want someone else to look at it send me a DM here and I'll be happy to look.

By the way, that 4 volume Liturgy of the Hours you mentioned is available in Latin.
I live a couple hours away from Clear Creek. I have wondered, what is the difference between a diurnal and the regular breviary? I didn’t know the LOTH was available in Latin. Thanks!

Owen Bawn

I live a couple hours away from Clear Creek. I have wondered, what is the difference between a diurnal and the regular breviary? I didn’t know the LOTH was available in Latin. Thanks!
Diurnal is Latin for daytime...just as nocturnal means nighttime.

The prince who should our king ha' been
He wore the royal red an' green!
A bonnier lad was never seen-
than our brave loyal Charlie!
When I was a teenager, I used to mow lawns for book money. One of the people I mowed lawns for was a fine old gentleman named Mr. Landles. Right before he moved to a nursing home he gifted me with his grandfather's copy of "Scottish Songs." On the inside of the cover, was written "March of the Campbells, Nae Luck," in a spidery, elegant hand. It remains one of my treasured possessions.

In hindsight, I wonder if the family changed their name when they came to the U.S.? My phone autocorrected his name to "Landless," which made me realize that was probably the original intent and meaning of his name, given the arbitrary nature of spelling two or three hundred years ago.

Owen Bawn

When I was a teenager, I used to mow lawns for book money. One of the people I mowed lawns for was a fine old gentleman named Mr. Landles. Right before he moved to a nursing home he gifted me with his grandfather's copy of "Scottish Songs." On the inside of the cover, was written "March of the Campbells, Nae Luck," in a spidery, elegant hand. It remains one of my treasured possessions.

In hindsight, I wonder if the family changed their name when they came to the U.S.? My phone autocorrected his name to "Landless," which made me realize that was probably the original intent and meaning of his name, given the arbitrary nature of spelling two or three hundred years ago.
It's a very old Norman name that came to Britain in the C11. Somewhat common in the Scottish lowlands. I think there's even a Landles Castle.

1673725672991.gif

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Absolutely. Remember that before they named him Hawkeye the Mohawk called Natty Bumpo "La Longue Carabine."

By flintlock do you mean a short gun, or a musket?
A CVA Kentucky Rifle and matching pistol from back in the day when the kits were under $100. 🤔 Never thought I could chip a flint (or an arrowhead) and still I lack the skill. But with Alabama river rock and a large hammer (the "BFH, " as the locals call it) chips and fragments which spark are made. Just start smashing rocks and a perfect bit is shortly found. Never seen a better use of gloves and eye protection... Flint fragments are obsidian sharp. But the first fire in a flintlock had me looking like George Washington's Cheshire cat!

I have tried using my own pieces for flint and steel fire lighting; they work but ferro rods are easier. It is magic, though, to strike a fire with a rock you pick up off the ground...

AA

There is a 1662 Book of Common Prayer in updated English, using the New American Standard Bible on Amazon. This also has Compline. The BCP took the LOTH and condensed them so that they were easier for non-monastics to pray.

Reactions: ctr
Yes. Prefer an older style of dress. Long for the days when everything I had was American made and made to last or was repairable. Neighbors who were decent enough and sociable. Treating everyone with respect and receiving the same. Telling off those who got out of line. Visiting most places without concern for violent crime. Slower pace of life.

Don't whine or panic when the power goes out. Don't use debt to purchase, simply do without. Eat meals at home, prepared and cooked at home. Dining out or takeout is rare, just a few times a year. Still pack a cooler for trips and eat at waysides.

Things were not perfect but in many ways they were better. Today I roam amongst the dinosaurs. I'm fine with that.

My youngest, born in 93, has expressed the same feelings àbout a great many things as the OP. I too feel certain skills are needed to be able to live comfortably in solitude. I DO know how to darn a sock, the basics of using a sewing machine, how to make a sauce, and at least half a dozen says to cook an egg.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I use fountain pens at home, but carry ballpoints when I leave the house. I have both wooden pencils and mechanical.

I use traditional penknives, along with modern multitools, and folding knives with G10 scales.

I've been without a television for 15 years, but do use the internet. I do steer clear of stalker media and phone apps though, as I believe there is no dignity without privacy. I'd rather read a book made from dead trees, but would also rather send an email than a hand written letter.

I cook with cast iron pans on a gas cooker, but also use a multicooker and microwave. I have both electric and stove top kettles.

I use soap/cream and brush for my shaving lather, but the brush is often synthetic.

I wash the pots and pans by hand, but most of my laundry goes in a machine.

I'm nearly 50, have elbow length hair, with long tache and goatee. I own baseball caps and flat caps, and trilbies in waxed cotton and rabbit fur. My hobbies include knitting, and creative writing on a laptop.

I don't choose things because they are modern, nor because they are not modern. I just try stuff, and stick with whatever works, no matter what era it hails from.

I'm late to this party, but definitely a walking anachronism. I try not to think of myself that way entirely, but my anachronistic ways definitely stand out to the younger fellows now that I've lived long enough to reach my early 70's. Yes, I write and sketch with fountain pens and use lead pencils made of good-smelling wood (cedar), as well as good mechanical pencils -- old ones, preferrably from '30's and '40's. I'm an engineer -- I still have a big drawing board, and use it. My timepieces are a variety of automatics and hand-wound wristwatches, and analog display wall clocks. My cars have manual gear selection and 3 pedals. My airplanes are from the '40's, and have the third wheel on the right end. I've been a licensed aviator for 50 years. I hunt, shoot clays and rifles and reload almost every shell I shoot -- shooting since age of 4 and reloading for the last 60 years. I'm a fairly advanced home gunsmith on rifles and shotguns -- prefer classic bolt actions, and SxS shotguns in the field -- no damn black plastic guns for me -- gotta have nice walnut and pretty blued steel. I'm a DE shaver, of course. Music? -- all ages -- big band, classical, jazz, Hank Williams (Sr. not Jr.), John Prine, David Allan Coe, Bob Dylan, Elvis, British invasion, Frank Zappa, Led Zep, Steely Dan, even the f**king Eagles!, etc, etc. I dropped out during disco, and can't get with rap. Movies? Love old ones from about the '30's on up through about the '80's, but nowadays, it's mostly indie and Euro films -- can't get with most of the kid stuff today, with the thin plots and unrealistic explosions and physical impossibilities. Cook? I sure do. Golf clubs? -- irons are forged blades; still have some persimmon woods I'll use occasionally, but I mostly use modern "woods". I'll still like to occasionally use my old wood tennis racquets (Dunlop Maxply Fort, Wilson Jack Kramer Pro Staff, etc), though mostly I like and use the newer racquet technology. I still do longhand math calculations. I read a lot of old stuff by the so-called "lost generation" writers, along with newer stuff. I still peruse a lot of technical books (engineering texts) to "keep up".

So that's what we get for living 7 decades or more -- the realization that "I'm not young enough to know everything", as Oscar Wilde put it. Having watched the last two or three generations of engineers come into the workplace, I'm super glad to be retired. The young engineers are fine, and I suppose at their age I knew it all, too, and had tools my predecessors did not. However, the new guys seldom have the "hands-on" experiences my generation and older did because part of our entertainment and orientation was to our cars, motorcycles or whatever tools and devices we needed could be repaired and maintained by the user. Also, it bothers me to see what seems like ever more reliance on analytical tools which gloss over and hide the fundamentals, if you know what I mean -- just plug in numbers and get out answers, without really understanding the assumptions behind the calculation and the limits of it's application -- poor critical thinking. Oh well . . . just the sour grapes moaning of an old man, ha! I think we'll be alright.

Cheers!
Tony

Top Bottom