What's new

Considerations for a 2010 Shave Purchase Sabbatical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, im having a very difficult time considering this a viable option.

currently, as im planning my purchase hiatus, i need to pick up so many items, that it's completely financially irresponsible.

to the fellow starting in on his straight shave journey: don't even think about a sabbatical! buy a lot of razors!

Folks, im having a very difficult time considering this a viable option.

currently, as im planning my purchase hiatus, i need to pick up so many items, that it's completely financially irresponsible.

to the fellow starting in on his straight shave journey: don't even think about a sabbatical! buy a lot of razors!

What do you really need to pick up? I have enough soap's to last me several years, and thats a really conservative estimate. I may have enough AS to last the year.
Razor blades? Check!
EDT? Check!
Straight razor equipment? Maybe not yet, I think I may be picking up a coticule and then I will be good.

I am really liking the idea of minimal purchases next year.

What do you really need to pick up? I have enough soap's to last me several years, and thats a really conservative estimate. I may have enough AS to last the year.
Razor blades? Check!
EDT? Check!
Straight razor equipment? Maybe not yet, I think I may be picking up a coticule and then I will be good.

I am really liking the idea of minimal purchases next year.

Unfortionately, i don't need anything. But, i just enjoy the journey so much that there are quite a few things id like to continue to have fun experimenting with.

A couple of boar brushes
Colognes
a couple more razors
more and more Alt-Innsbruck
more 444 asb
Duke 2 in Best
the Barbon SC and AS
a few cheap products from www.shaveabuck.com
unfortionately, the list could go on and on :blink:

I'm in and I'll try to be as hardcore as possible. The only item I "need" to replace in 2010 is witch hazel.

(now I am going to go vomit and cry alone in the bathroom)

EDIT: After careful consideration, I will also allow myself to buy one straight razor.

Last edited:
I'll join in. I have a nice little collection of triple milled soaps and a full tub of TOBS Luxury to keep me company. The only thing I will need to do is pick up some more Nivea AS balm and a few pucks of VDH.

I quit smoking 8 months ago, and I did it on will power alone. I KNOW I can do this.

I'm with Trendy here. I'm seriously considering this and think I'll be fine for at least a few months. I just hope my B&B posts and attendance dont suffer as an indirect result!

I'm in and I'll try to be as hardcore as possible. The only item I "need" to replace in 2010 is witch hazel.

(now I am going to go vomit and cry alone in the bathroom)

EDIT: After careful consideration, I will also allow myself to buy one straight razor.

I know how you feel. I needed to take a bath and light some candles.

Seriously though, I need to quit buying stuff that my kids will use when I'm gone!

I'm in, guys. My birthday is Jan 1 and I've intented to get a brush scuttle, MWF and some Speick AS with that money. I've done well thinning the SS/SC herd (I'm down to an almost-gone puck of P-C, 30% of a MB and 90% of PdP) and the MWF, teamed with my remaining soaps, should last through 2011, I think.

This would be a great method for working through the AS that have gathered on my dresser....

My personal goal at the end of this journey is to settle into 2 or 3 AS, 1 ASB and 2 or 3 colognes.

Let's do it!:thumbup1:

I'm in as well. I nabbed the Irisch Moos and loaded up on 100 Shark blades, so I'm good to go. I am really fighting the urge to pick up a vintage NEW. I know I can do it, because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough......well, you get the picture.

I placed what should be my last order until 2011 this past weekend from WCS: MWF, Erasmic SC, Cella, Speick AS and Speick ASB. With my current stock, this should last me the rest of the year! My real goal is to use up the AS that I don't plan to repurchase.

you lot sicken me, you bunch of wimps !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I am going cold turkey as of NOW !!!!!

that being said, I have already ordered and waiting for delivery, a new Pils DE, rooney coral ermillion, rooney heritage beehive, Km Son, black with abolone inlay, Daines & Hathaway military roll wetpack, TOBS short handle mach3 (for travelling only i assure you all), and I have a butterscotch LE 2009 gift certificate ALREADY purchased, enough soaps and blades for at least 2 yeears, and of course the 5 custom handles and heads from Cooncat Bob a short while ago, and I almost forgot the NOS Merkur Slant from chessman . . . .

NO MORE AD, of any kind, I must fight the urge , ,. ,.

that being said, I have already ordered and waiting for delivery, a new Pils DE, rooney coral ermillion, rooney heritage beehive, Km Son, black with abolone inlay, Daines & Hathaway military roll wetpack, TOBS short handle mach3 (for travelling only i assure you all), and I have a butterscotch LE 2009 gift certificate ALREADY purchased, enough soaps and blades for at least 2 yeears, and of course the 5 custom handles and heads from Cooncat Bob a short while ago, and I almost forgot the NOS Merkur Slant from chessman . . . .

Heh heh. I have 1 90% full tin of Pre de Provence, 1 50% full tub of Mama Bear's Awakenings, 50% of a cake of Williams, and 1.5 large tubes of CO Bigelow. On the way are the MWF, Erasmic SC and Cella. However, I really need to chip away on my AS splashes. I have way too many of them....

If it was not for the joy I get out of searching down straights and playing in the workshop with them to get them back up all pretty and functional I would be down.

I'm pretty sure that aside I could survive with just a coticule at some point and a new scuttle. Perhaps a set of Naniwas, but I'm still up in the air about the need/desire for them.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom