What's new

Considerations for a 2010 Shave Purchase Sabbatical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris, i too haven't even so much as TOUCHED the MWF with a shave brush since that journey!

could we have made it through without support. im certain the answer is no.

and as much as i (think) id like to do the 2010 journey, i want to make sure you're finding ways to pick up the appropriate amount of shaving products to insure a favorable morning ...EVERY morning :smile:

Well,

As with the month long soap journey...I'm in. No purchases save trades, my B-Day and Christmas.

Those will be my rules. We better start a help forum...this may be a long year, but thankfully B&B has enough other forums to keep me occupied!

I assume this starts on 01 Jan 2010?

I am in!! I have enough to keep me going for about a decade except for balms but those will last a year too.

However I do make a few exceptions;

-Whenever my Turkish drugstore restocks on Arko soap I will get me another box (or two..). I have just 20 sticks left.

-Whenever my fav vendor restocks on my fav blade I will order anywhere from 500 to 5,000 blades.

-When any soap, AS, blade, razor or brush (or in fact any shaving related item) that I like is getting discontinued I will stock those items to my liking without loosing my claim on a sabbatical year.

-When any new soap, AS, blade, razor or brush is introduced that appeals to me.

-Any other reason important enough, to my judgement, to pull out the wallet..

Who else is in too? Let's do this! :lol:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thinking about it, I should do this. I should restore the straights that I have. Have them honed. I have enough shaving soap/cream and AS for the year.

In the process, I might sell some stuff...

If I can still get gifts then, it's good! :biggrin:

So, would "zero sum" be the same thing? For example, if I sell two razors and get 25 bucks (or whatever) then I could pick up a puck of a shaving soap for 20 bucks and be 5 bucks ahead, right?

If so, I feel pretty confident that I could do this. :001_smile

I'm in.

this is good; now I have a good reason to add the 2, 3 or 4 soaps/creams I have had my eye on . . . before the new year!

actually this is a great idea.

I'm another one that's been thinking of doing this. I was given a DE razor last Christmas and have since acquired about 7 soaps I really like, enough blades to last me about a year along with 3 different aftershave balms and an alum block.

Not sure if I'm in yet but I'd allow myself this:
- new blades if required
- new balm if I run out (but only if I have no balm left at all)
That's it.

I don't think i'll have the will power. Sure in the new year i'll let everyone know that my New Year's Resolution is to not purchase anything related to wet shaving for a full year; however im betting against myself and say that within 3 weeks of the new year something will be added to my den...

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I'm making ZERO shaving purchases with the exception of soap as I finish a puck. (Stop laughing...... I'm SERIOUS..... This Time!)

I wish everybody the best of luck with this, but we all know the acquisition disorders will set in. I'm betting at least a 1/3 of you crack before march break! I'm not strong enough to even try this myself so anyone who's willing to try is a better man than I. I just thought of something that I think everyone who's going to try this ought to consider. You should start your year right now! If you don't, when next christmas rolls around and you want to get something for underneath the tree you won't be through your year yet! You should start now so you allow yourself time for shipping as well.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One idea I've seen work rather well is a month-long "No Purchase Club" where guys agree in advance to not buy anything all month ... the main difference being it's more manageable if you break it into month-long periods.

I just thought of a loophole we can all slip through ... even though 2010 seems to be lining itself up as a year of Shaving PURCHASE Sabbatical, there seems to be no implied ban on TRADING.

I'm sitting on a pretty large collection of creams and blades and razors and brushes and what-not ... and there's still stuff that I want, as I'm sure you all have your own personal wish-list.

So instead of spending money, we could swap what we have around the community, and be able to experiment with new gear without actually having to lay out cold hard cash for it.

David, fantastic idea!

i just sold enough gear to pick up the B&B LE '09 and am happy i did so!

also, loopholes are part of the game. consider you're own personal birthday an epic shave purchase day. and think of all the other little ways to keep you're self a happy in you're daily shaves.

But there's an embargo on purchasing shave-related postage, too ... :lol:

One idea I've seen work rather well is a month-long "No Purchase Club" where guys agree in advance to not buy anything all month ... the main difference being it's more manageable if you break it into month-long periods.

Great idea. Same thing that works for dieting (well sort of).

I could probably go a few months on my soap and cream supply and I have all the razors that I could possibly need (three DEs, an injector, two Trac II handles, and a Mach 3 handle), but I don't keep a large stock of blades on hand. I guess I could pick up a supply before January rolls around...

But there's an embargo on purchasing shave-related postage, too ... :lol:

Great idea Doc! Those who go the longest should get some sort of "prize" from B&B :lol:

Well the final pieces are falling into place. My order of QED soaps came in today, and I am expecting one more shipment from West Coast Shaving of a few more creams before I batten down the hatches for the great shaving supply embargo of 2010. This was a great excuse to stock up. Thanks, Josh!

almost forgot . . . my 2 Irisch Moos sticks should be arriving any day now from superlather, as well.

Last edited:
It would make sense for me.
Razors enough to last longer than I do, and enough of a selection for a rotation to keep me interested.
Enough DE blades for several years. Enough SE blades for more than one year. If I went exclusively to injectors, or back to my Atra, I'd have to buy some more.
Stockpile of VDH and Williams soap which should last more than a year even if I don't use anything else. For that matter, my tube of Proraso is only half gone. Not even half.
A couple of backup brushes if my main one suddenly fell apart.
No accessories that I need. More important, none that I want.
Yes, I could make the promise, and be able to keep it, but I've sworn off New Year's resolutions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom