What's new

College Hockey

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Ohio State 8 Harvard 1 Final. OSU gets Quinnipiac/Merrimack winner. Relatively easy route to the Frozen Four for the Buckeyes. ESPN wants B1G schools and BU in the Frozen Four for tv ratings. A Quinnipiac vs St Cloud State final is their nightmare.

Ohio State 8 Harvard 1 Final. OSU gets Quinnipiac/Merrimack winner. Relatively easy route to the Frozen Four for the Buckeyes. ESPN wants B1G schools and BU in the Frozen Four for tv ratings. A Quinnipiac vs St Cloud State final is their nightmare.
I agree, ESPN would hate it, but that could be a final for the ages. I tend to lean towards underdogs when it comes to college sports. 😀

Owen Bawn

I agree, ESPN would hate it, but that could be a final for the ages. I tend to lean towards underdogs when it comes to college sports. 😀
Me too. For years I've been saying that the goal of the B1G is to suck all the oxygen out of western and then national college hockey. That's why I love St Cloud State, No Dakota, and Minn Duluth. The B1G already killed what was left of the old CCHA- you seldom hear much of Miami, Bowling Green, Lake Superior State, etc any more.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Something is off, 22 goals scored so far in 3 games today, all but one (1) of them by the rompers. Remains to see if the Whinerines can keep the landslide going ..

Yeah, I too miss the old CCHA - I was in school when the first Canadians arrived on scholarships, turning our club team into one that eventually included a couple Miracle on Ice members among all those Minnesotans

Gophers have always largely been overwhelmingly been Minnesotans. Hopefully Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan will follow by supporting youth programs. Teams should represent the student population.

B1G/NCAA Hockey is always polishing MN and MI. I would like to see honor for participation. Scores have been crazy. I hope Vegas and sports betting are not at work.

B1G also stunted several former WCHA teams.

The Wild are playing the Blackhawks this afternoon in St Paul. One of my best friends is a huge Blackhawks fan and we are taking him to the game for his birthday. It was lined up months ago. Had I known the Gophs and Huskies would be playing in Fargo today I’d have told my buddy he can spend his birthday alone, or with the rest of us in Fargo. 😬

We are planning on catching the Huskies game on TV at a favorite pub in St Paul. We will be in the belly of the beast in the Twin Cities but it should be fun. The thing is, if the Gophers win it will be all over the Twin Cities media for days. St Cloud is an easy 45 minute drive from Minneapolis and if the Huskies win it will get a 15 second mention in the Twin Cities news never to be discussed again. They act like St Cloud isn‘t part of the State of Minnesota. The level of U of M snobbery in the Twin Cities is off the charts. I really hope the Huskies can take it to them. I’d love to see those kids knock a bunch of NHL draft picks on their arses.

Owen Bawn

The Wild are playing the Blackhawks this afternoon in St Paul. One of my best friends is a huge Blackhawks fan and we are taking him to the game for his birthday. It was lined up months ago. Had I known the Gophs and Huskies would be playing in Fargo today I’d have told my buddy he can spend his birthday alone, or with the rest of us in Fargo. 😬

We are planning on catching the Huskies game on TV at a favorite pub in St Paul. We will be in the belly of the beast in the Twin Cities but it should be fun. The thing is, if the Gophers win it will be all over the Twin Cities media for days. St Cloud is an easy 45 minute drive from Minneapolis and if the Huskies win it will get a 15 second mention in the Twin Cities news never to be discussed again. They act like St Cloud isn‘t part of the State of Minnesota. The level of U of M snobbery in the Twin Cities is off the charts. I really hope the Huskies can take it to them. I’d love to see those kids knock a bunch of NHL draft picks on their arses.
I went to the hospital ER in St Cloud on a brutal hot summer day, but it still felt like it might cloud up and snow at any time.

St Cloud was a depressing town- it struck me as the kind of place where you could catch alcoholism from a toilet seat.

Is the Ralph in Fargo eligible to be a NCAA tournament site? Or is it prohibited because of the Native American icons? I know of the name change but Ralph wanted lots of icons as he liked the old name. I am guessing a lot of icons remain but have not seen anything on the issue for about 10 years.

St Cloud the Worcester of the Midwest? Colleges, hospitals and hopelessness? Worcester used to have HIV warning signs in some parts of town.

Hopefully the Huskies will have some bite. I don’t want another 10 goal B1G win.

The Gophers are fast. Huskies had a good 2nd period but couldn't match the Gophers speed the entire game. So I gotta pull for the Golden Gophers the rest of the way. QP is the only other team I've any interest in seeing succeed, but I don't like their chances of making it to the final.

St Cloud depressing? ER room at the St Cloud hospital? Sounds like a bad weekend at the Holiday Inn! :eek2:

I don't get back there often but when I do I always have a great time. Its not at all like Worcester in that while it does have a few Universities (SCSU / St Benedicts / St Johns) its doesn't really get its identity from the colleges. St Cloud is more of a region than a city and its economy is driven by agriculture. One of the best summer activities up there is "Town-Ball" baseball. Many of the small farming communities surrounding St Cloud have baseball teams that have been butting heads for 100 years. Nothing better than a lazy summer evening enjoying a few cold beers watching a town ball game filled with trash talking and quality pitching. Some of those farm tough kids can knock the cover off the ball.

Pro tip....when in St Cloud stop at Val's for a burger and fries. It will provide a years worth of salt and grease, but its worth it.

Lets go Gophers!

Frozen Four! Made it interesting, giving up a goal with 28 secs to go....

Checking out tickets...
Advancing schools get blocks of tickets released. If you have a connection to BU contact them. Then you will be in the BU Quarter if you get tickets from them. QP is regional school and may not be able to sell all its allocated tickets - if they advance.

Owen Bawn

The Gophers are fast. Huskies had a good 2nd period but couldn't match the Gophers speed the entire game. So I gotta pull for the Golden Gophers the rest of the way. QP is the only other team I've any interest in seeing succeed, but I don't like their chances of making it to the final.

St Cloud depressing? ER room at the St Cloud hospital? Sounds like a bad weekend at the Holiday Inn! :eek2:

I don't get back there often but when I do I always have a great time. Its not at all like Worcester in that while it does have a few Universities (SCSU / St Benedicts / St Johns) its doesn't really get its identity from the colleges. St Cloud is more of a region than a city and its economy is driven by agriculture. One of the best summer activities up there is "Town-Ball" baseball. Many of the small farming communities surrounding St Cloud have baseball teams that have been butting heads for 100 years. Nothing better than a lazy summer evening enjoying a few cold beers watching a town ball game filled with trash talking and quality pitching. Some of those farm tough kids can knock the cover off the ball.

Pro tip....when in St Cloud stop at Val's for a burger and fries. It will provide a years worth of salt and grease, but its worth it.

Lets go Gophers!
I was staying at the monastery in Collegeville and I got sick.

Owen Bawn

I was dreading a Frozen Four with three B1G 10 teams...and BU. I would have been forced to root for BU. But Quinnipiac has spared me that indignity.

Johnnies - John Harvard? I got confused a few nights ago because St. John’s from Collegeville, MN are the known as the Johnnies. You must know of them if you got sick there.

East vs. Midwest likely. Penn State added hockey and that doomed the WCHA And created the B!G.

Owen Bawn

Johnnies - John Harvard? I got confused a few nights ago because St. John’s from Collegeville, MN are the known as the Johnnies. You must know of them if you got sick there.

East vs. Midwest likely. Penn State added hockey and that doomed the WCHA And created the B!G.
They're sometimes called the Johns because of John Harvard, yes. Just as Yale are called the Eli after Elihu Yale.

They're sometimes called the Johns because of John Harvard, yes. Just as Yale are called the Eli after Elihu Yale.
Williams (currently) and Amherst (discontinued) followed similar traditions.

East v Midwest M’s. Should be some great games. I would prefer not to have a super conference in hockey - but it seems to be here.

Top Bottom