What's new

Cella's Ingredients Have Been Changed - Looking for Another Italian Croap

Well, after over a 100 years of a tried and true formula, it looks like the fine folks over at Nicky Chini have decided to tweak this soap's ingredients. Not by much, mind you, but it still breaks my heart. :bored:

Sadly, Cella was perfect for me. I have pretty sensitive skin and Cella was one of about 2 soaps that wouldn't leave my face completely broken out in a red, itchy rash. I have been using it for years and am currently working my way through my third kilo brick.

I don't know if they brick formula will change, but since Tub's formula changed, I'm sure the kilo isn't far behind.

At this point, it is a toss up between Vito's and Valobra. Does anyone else have any suggestions or feedback on those two I chose; Or have any other soft soap ideas?

I just like my soaps to be:

-Ultra pure and simple in ingredients
-Almond or plain soap scented
-Tallow and/or Coconut Oil based
-Soft
-Available to purchase in bulk for a relatively inexpensive price
-Obviously a quality product

Thank you, everyone! I really hope we/I can come up with something. :blushing:

===========================
UPDATE: Post-34 to 36 provide clarification that the ingredient update is due to EU regulations. All remains well with our beloved Cella. :thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
For the price, you can't beat Vitos Red. TVB Shaving still has it and it's relatively inexpensive. But I have never tried it. Many have said that it's as good as Cella.

Where did you see/hear this?? I am positive if this is true, there will be quite a few angry people and a run on kilos.

This was posted this morning by billfasoli

Hi all, wanted to give you a quick heads up regarding the ingredient list of the Cella Crema da Barba all’Olio di Mandorla, as it has changed since this thread was first started. The new formulation now contains the following ingredients:

Cocos Nucifera, Tallow, Stearic Acid, Aqua, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Carbonate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum.

So a few changes to note here. First and foremost, as the addition of Tetrasodium EDTA (preservative/chelating agent) to the mix. Why Nicky Chini would decide to defile the essentially perfect 100+ year old formula with Tetrasodium EDTA is beyond me. Perhaps they wanted to further differentiate the two products? Not sure. In any case, i've tried both formulas and noticed a marked difference between the two in the arena of scent. There is now a distinct chemically smell to the Crema da Barba all’Olio di Mandorla, which is unappealing to me (YMMV) at best.

The second thing to note is the movement of water up the ingredient list, indicating that that there is now significantly more water. Again, unsure as to the reason behind this change, but i would speculate that the addition of the Tetrasodium EDTA necessitated an increase in water. This could also make the product cheaper to produce, increasing their bottom line. Again, this is purely speculation.

I've included a picture below as evidence that the formula has changed.

If anyone from Nicky Chini is reading this, per favore, non cambiare gli ingredienti nel sapone 'Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima.' It's perfect the way it is. As it stands you will have a lifelong customer in me in this product.

View attachment 608903

In this thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/182462-Cella-Vs-Cella-what-I-believe/page4

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I just like my soaps to be:

-Ultra pure and simple in ingredients
-Almond or plain soap scented
-Tallow and/or Coconut Oil based
-Soft
-Available to purchase in bulk for a relatively inexpensive price
-Obviously a quality product

It no longer meets these requirements? What has changed in the formula so it doesn't work for you?

A caution: sometimes EU regulations for labeling change. So it's possible that the ingredients haven't changed, just the labeling.

We need Marco on the case! :w00t: One of his threads is below, why not send him a PM? I'm sure he'll respond to your post.

BTW, there are many artisan soaps that meet your requirements, and most of them have shorter ingredient lists than Cella. Most are in the form of an Italian soft soap.

Last edited:
A caution: sometimes EU regulations for labeling change. So it's possible that the ingredients haven't changed, just the labeling.

We need Marco on the case! :w00t: One of his threads is below, why not send him a PM? I'm sure he'll respond to your post.

BTW, there are many artisan soaps that meet your requirements, and most of them have shorter ingredient lists than Cella. Most are in the form of an Italian soft soap.

Agreed, with the EU's labeling labyrinth and their recent change on Safe Harbor laws, I sometimes wonder who's in charge over there! :lol: I'll wait for confirmation from our man in Italy that there was indeed an actual formulation change.

Oh, man! I hope you guys are right.

I saw that post, in that thread, this morning and it brought a tear to my eye. "My perfect soap! NOOOOO!" :tongue_sm

Looks like they've added Tetrasodium EDTA? Probably as a preservative, since Cella has/had a tendency to go yellow or even rancid.

This. I really doubt they were managing to produce Cella without a significant amount of Aqua before this. There seems to be wild and inaccurate chemistry speculation going on in the quoted post.

If you are looking for simple and 'natural' ingredients in a soap, then you might want to consider some of the artisan soaps such as Mystic Water, Cold River, Mike's, Shannon's, et cetera.
Granted, they aren't as inexpensive as Cella, but I think they are much better. :001_smile

Well if they`ve changed the 1 kg size cella? I`m glad I bought one kg before the change. If they really do change 1 kg cella? Perhaps buy a few 1 kg size to hold you through? I`ve got my cella stored in saran wrap air tight and zip locked while I`ve put some in 300 g containers with air tight lids. I don`t think I`ll ever buy any more cella because I`ve got a lifetime supply of many other soaps.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Uh, oh.

I remember the recent run on Willams ... we could be building houses with kilo soap-bricks soon.

AA :laugh:

We need Marco on this STAT!!!
I hope it's just a label change for regulation reasons like they did on the Palmolive stick...

+1 in the label change idea. They did this to palmolive sticks a while ago. Same stuff just listed differently because of new regulations.

I bought a 5.2oz tub of Cella from TVB shaving in early march. I just checked and it displays the exact same ingredients. If this is news, its old news.

Top Bottom