What's new

Cella Milano where have you been all my life?(review)

To me Cella Red is where it is at. Green ehhh not so much but the Red is fantastic.
Some people just don't like the scent of Cella Red but otherwise there is no arguing how good it is really.

I'm glad you found it.

View attachment 1697792

Hello fellas todays shave I went with the red team. I don't want to speak to soon but I probably had the best shave that I've ever had and I think its do to Cella Shaving Soap. I have used feather blades and my Gillette Red Tip many times over the past two years but I haven't had a shave like this. I have very course/thick stubble and sensitive skin that is prone to ingrown hairs. But I have solved this(ingrown hairs to be exact) through proper technique, skin prep, and the right gear. However as much as I have solved my ingrown hair problem I would still get some red spots underneath my neck area. Not a huge deal as they would go away after a day or so. It didn't look too bad but still something I was aware of. Today no redness at all and my skin felt soft as all heck and no irritation. The only thing that I have changed was using "Cella" shaving soap. I picked this up because I have never tried to deliberately buy shaving soaps without any "lanolin/linalool" which I found out was a source of quite a few allergies with peoples skin. From memory this is the only soap that I have ever used that didn't have this ingredient. I will keep using this soap consecutively and I will post updates on my journey for at least a few shaves. But regardless this is the best my face has ever felt after a shave.

Scent: 7/10

Smells like not too sweet maraschino cherries. Very pleasant and not too strong of a scent. The wife liked it ;). Nothing crazy but nothing I see myself getting annoyed at after a long period of use.

Slickness: 8/10

Very slick and could even get better after getting more familiar with the product.

Cushioning/Protection: 9/10

Doesn't lather up huge volume but I don't quite mind so much for huge volume for lather when shaving but I barely felt the feather blade in my red tip. But considering this is probably the first time I've gotten 0 redness from shaving id say that the protection is top tier.

Price: 10/10

150ml for $10 is a steal and that's not considering the fact that you can find a kilo of this stuff for a little less than 40 bucks. That's very affordable and a darn steal.

Post Shave feel: 10/10

Amazing my skin feels very hydrated and soft with 0 discomfort.

Looks/Presentation: 10/10

I know this usually isn't a category most people rate lol but darn it if this isn't just a charming presentation. I love it. Its a red tub with an old man with a white moustache. You cant help but think of Santa Claus or some jolly older gentleman looking after ya while you shave.

Again Ill keep updating this thread whenever I can to see If this soap keeps performing as well as it did today.

Happy Shaving fellas! God bless <3

Alright guys had a few more shaves and I think at this point I can come to a pretty good conclusion.

Shave #2:

Shaved with my red tip again with a voskhod blade. Great shave. The lather was a bit dry but that was more user error but easily fixed with dipping my brush with some water and relathering. Overall still a great shave.

Shave #3:

Shaved with merkur 34c with nacet. Haven't shaved with this razor almost sense my early days of wet shaving. It was my first ever de razor but I moved on from it thinking it couldn't get the job done. I was very wrong! Even with my tough hairs and sensitive skin it did a fantastic job. I think the soap and sharp blade combo really helped this razor. The soap this time I decided to really hydrate it and it was super slick and comfy. Cella still has high marks for me.

Shave #4:

Shaved with my Ever-Ready 1924 with a fresh blade. I decided to get as much volume out of this saop as possible as I've found getting more cushioning with single edge razors like this one to be a must whenever I shave with it. My previous comment saying that it doesn't get much volume was WRONG! I just needed to load up a bit more soap and introduce more air into the lather while keeping it hydrated. All three passes where great and I honestly could have stopped at 2 cuz this razor is very efficient. This saop really can be molded into what you want it to be thin and slick or voluminous. It will get you the type of lather you want. My next shave today will be with my "push-botton" Ever-Ready and we'll see how it goes.

I know using different razors and blades may make my experience less consistent but for the sake of a review I think trying out different razors and razor types might help those with different gear. Either way whatever I use the soap stays great!

It was my first shaving soap I bought many years ago and I liked it so much that I have 2 kilos as backups just in case they stop making it with tallow -which seems likely in the near future. Sad that the staple soaps I've enjoyed using being discontinued/altered without tallow like Valobra, Tabac, and Mitchell's.

To me Cella Red is where it is at. Green ehhh not so much but the Red is fantastic.
Some people just don't like the scent of Cella Red but otherwise there is no arguing how good it is really.

I'm glad you found it.
What do you find it's lacking? Was linking of picking it up when my red gets low.

The Green (Organic) just dried out too quickly on my face which is contrary to what I have seen said about it for the most part as I have seen many people rave about its residual slickness but for me and certainly in my version it will definitely dry out and cause my razor to stick for a lack of a better term. I experimented with adding lots of water, more soap, speeding through my shave, different brushes etc to slight improvements but overall it's just an inferior product in comparison to Cella Red (tallow) although the scent of Green is subtle and pleasant.

It might be passable for some but under a direct comparison to its brother it is not. I would place it in the mid to lower tiers of Vegan soaps also.

I don't know if I got a dud soap or they made changes along the way but it is certainly not the best in any category.
I am just grateful to have the original Cella and even though it is very old now and has gone brown, it still smells okay and works just as well as it did when I first bought it.

It may just not work well with my skin. I mean it starts of okay but doesn't maintain its slickness for me throughout the shave. I've seen so many people rave about the residual slickness though so who knows. I will give it another shot again soon with a specific razor that holds water in the head which should aid in lubrication. If you have the money and enjoy Cella then give it a shot or if you can find a sample of it then go for it.

Last edited:
The Green (Organic) just dried out too quickly on my face which is contrary to what I have seen said about it for the most part as I have seen many people rave about its residual slickness but for me and certainly in my version it will definitely dry out and cause my razor to stick for a lack of a better term. I experimented with adding lots of water, more soap, speeding through my shave, different brushes etc to slight improvements but overall it's just an inferior product in comparison to Cella Red (tallow) although the scent of Green is subtle and pleasant.

It might be passable for some but under a direct comparison to its brother it is not. I would place it in the mid to lower tiers of Vegan soaps also.

I don't know if I got a dud soap or they made changes along the way but it is certainly not the best in any category.
I am just grateful to have the original Cella and even though it is very old now and has gone brown, it still smells okay and works just as well as it did when I first bought it.

It may just not work well with my skin. I mean it starts of okay but doesn't maintain its slickness for me throughout the shave. I've seen so many people rave about the residual slickness though so who knows. I will give it another shot again soon with a specific razor that holds water in the head which should aid in lubrication. If you have the money and enjoy Cella then give it a shot or if you can find a sample of it then go for it.
Yeah I'll buy a tub just to see. If it's not to my liking I'll buy a kilo of cella red.

I love Cella Red. I reviewed it a while back and will do another one, soon. I've been using it most of the week, this week. I love the smell. I rate it 9/10 because I really like it. It is a great tallow soap and while not a top tier soap it is very capable. I have a backup for this soap and I don't do that often. With a DE razor it is very good. With a straight razor it is okay.

This soap is on my list of soaps that make you want to sniff them over and over.

Get the lather right for your type of shaving and you will like it. It has a very nice amaretto/marzipan scent that is better than any of the competition's version of that scent that I have tried. It is a simple tallow shaving soap, nothing fancy, just nice.
It just got here.
Can't wait to try it tomorrow.
proxy.php

The Cella in the red container works really well for me also. It's easy to lather and retains moisture very well. It has a nice scent, but I did notice that it loses the scent after a while. I don't know how long the scent lasts, but I'm also not sure how old my container was. The scent loss doesn't affect it's performance, though.

The Cella in the red container works really well for me also. It's easy to lather and retains moisture very well. It has a nice scent, but I did notice that it loses the scent after a while. I don't know how long the scent lasts, but I'm also not sure how old my container was. The scent loss doesn't affect it's performance, though.
I think the scent kills the scent receptors in our noses after a while and we don't smell it as well. I will get a whiff during the day, but I have to get away from it for a couple of days to smell it as well as at first. I also do notice that like most soaps, if the top is left off the scent in the tub gets a little lighter.

I think the scent kills the scent receptors in our noses after a while and we don't smell it as well. I will get a whiff during the day, but I have to get away from it for a couple of days to smell it as well as at first. I also do notice that like most soaps, if the top is left off the scent in the tub gets a little lighter.
That doesn't seem to be the case with the one I bought in July 2022. When I bought it, Mrs. StewB really liked the scent. Some months later, I opened it again and she asked if it had gone bad because the scent was basically gone.

That doesn't seem to be the case with the one I bought in July 2022. When I bought it, Mrs. StewB really liked the scent. Some months later, I opened it again and she asked if it had gone bad because the scent was basically gone.
I do think it gets weaker in the tub the more the top is left off, for sure. This is a good thing for those who think the smell is too strong and not as good of a thing for those of us who love the smell.

Top Bottom