What's new

Can harsh shampoos / washing hair too frequently cause it to fall (temporarily)l?

This isn't necessarily true and varies person to person. I live in the south as well and have oily skin/hair to boot. Suffice to say I HAVE to wash my hair once a day or I wouldn't look appropriate in public. :)

+1 on not washing your hair every day. I've tried tons of shampoos, and paid all sorts of prices for them. Only a few have seemed to truly be gentle on my hair. But, it seems that almost every time I wash my hair, my scalp and hair gets dried out, causing my hair to be poofy and stick out. Even, when I wash in only cold water.

Unfortunately, I live in the south, and my job requires me to do hard work outside inside hot auto shops. So, during the week I was my hair every day, don't on the weekends.

I too, have to wash my hair every day, otherwise it gets all greasy and oily. I think it's really a YMMV question. I would try not washing your hair for a few days if you can, and see how it feels and turns out.

i have to wash every day or my scalp gets oily and starts to produce scaling and dandruff, but i only had one occasion where hair fell out, using herbal essence, that shampoo is the absolute worst from the "brand name" variants,

Stop washing your hair with normal shampoos. There are ingredients that do cause baldness. I am not sure what they are. You could probably look them up. My father hardly ever washed his hair and had a full head of hair when he passed away in his late sixties. He used to tell me not to wash my hair too much or I would go bald. I am not as lucky as him. I still have hair at fifty but do have a bit of a high forehead.I just wet my hair in the shower and give it a real good towel scrub when I am through and my hair is fine the next day.
I use shampoo once a week.

I think a lot of shampoos ruin the chemical balance our scalps are supposed to have. Like the shampoo companies know what they are doing? I don't think so.

UPDATE:

So, after trying the every-2-day method for 2 weeks, I have to say that It doesn't work for me.
The firist days doing that, I had amazing results, but I've come to the conclusion that my hair gets too oily/greasy/dandruffy if not washed everyday

Well, June I will be fifty. I need a young girl or something.:biggrin: Over twenty.:biggrin::biggrin:Heck two of them would still be younger than me.:frown:

I have an oil scalp. If I don't wash my hair every day, I feel itchy and dirty.
I would encourage people to find a few good shampoos and wash their hair every day.

+1 on this. I went without washing my hair yesterday just to see what it would do, and it was absolutely disgusting feeling (probably looking too) i guess i just have naturally oily and greasy hair. I won't ever take a shower without washing my hair again. I'm going to strongly recommend that everyone try it for a day and if you can deal with it, be my guest, but if its gross feeling like mine was, you're gonna want to wash.

Wash your hair everyday. Life's too short to smell bad. Too many guys smell bad nowadays and have that dead skin/pheromone thing going on .

Do not use Head and Shoulders

Now THAT shampoo can cause your hair to fall out

I hate to break it to you folks, heredity is going to make or break it. I'm 53 and have used Head and Shoulders for the better part of the last 30 years. At this point it's apparent I'm not going to go bald. As natural as it may seem for some of you to lose a noticeable amount of hair each day, the truth is that you're losing hair. You can probably lessen the effect with a Rogaine product or some such but, fundamentally, you're finding that you're someone that loses his hair. Stop blaming the shampoo.

- Chris

+1 Similar here, I looked for the Fountain of Youth, but I never could find it. If it's male pattern baldness, I do believe that the Rogaine will at least help to hold on to what you have, last I heard.

I have also heard that people shed hair at some times of year more than others, so maybe you are going thru a normal shedding? Don't know if this is true or not.

I hate to break it to you folks, heredity is going to make or break it. I'm 53 and have used Head and Shoulders for the better part of the last 30 years. At this point it's apparent I'm not going to go bald. As natural as it may seem for some of you to lose a noticeable amount of hair each day, the truth is that you're losing hair. You can probably lessen the effect with a Rogaine product or some such but, fundamentally, you're finding that you're someone that loses his hair. Stop blaming the shampoo.

- Chris

Actually, I lost a few hair when using HS

I stopped, and it grew back

Then I used it again, just to be sure, and hair loss again

And then I stoppoed, and my missing hair grew back

I also did an extensive research on the web, and there are a lot of reports about that

Top Bottom