What's new

Can a SR edge be keener (ignoring comfort) than one off diamond/CBN pasted balsa?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@JPO I think you are getting too obsessed with "grit" size. There are many other things that come into play when honing an edge. Have you considered:
  • Each manufacturer has their own standard when specifying grit size.
  • The shape of the abrasive particles.
  • The media that holds the abrasive particles.
  • Whether the abrasive particles break down during use.
  • What lubrication is used while honing.
  • The quality of the blade's steel.
  • The pressure and speed used while honing.
  • Etc..
There is only one true definitive test for an edge and that is the shave test. The results of that test are judged by the shaver based on his personal; skin and whiskers, pre-shave prep, lather, shaving technique and finally what suites him!

@JPO I think you are getting too obsessed with "grit" size. There are many other things that come into play when honing an edge. Have you considered:
  • Each manufacturer has their own standard when specifying grit size.
  • The shape of the abrasive particles.
  • The media that holds the abrasive particles.
  • Whether the abrasive particles break down during use.
  • What lubrication is used while honing.
  • The quality of the blade's steel.
  • The pressure and speed used while honing.
  • Etc..
There is only one true definitive test for an edge and that is the shave test. The results of that test are judged by the shaver based on his personal; skin and whiskers, pre-shave prep, lather, shaving technique and finally what suites him!
I don't think I am obsessed with grit size. There is a reason why I like to experience different synthetic and natural stones of different types. I would not collect jnat's or coticules if they were similar. Even synthetic stones are different enough to make it worth while trying different types from different manufacturers.

Now I made one more attempt.
I rehoned my Böker razor.
The bevel was thinned using a four step process using convex coticules and an Arkansas stone. The razor was then finhished on a shapton pro 30k and given 50 laps on 0.1μm cbn on balsa.
The edge was smooth, and did cut effortlessly.
However, my face felt a bit raw afterwards.
So as you said, this will require a shallow angle and light touch. This felt like I was using a large Feather DE blade.
Even the shapton 30k can be much more then I need for a close good shave.
The edge did improve when I skipped the coarser balsa plates.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Shaving with a pasted balsa edge is an acquired skill. For some who developed their SR shaving technique on lesser edges, it can be a skill more difficult to master.

Top Bottom