What's new

Campers and backpackers, what is your sleep system?

My REI is a couple hours away. Just far enough so that when I go, I suddenly feel the need to spend hundreds more on gear that I want just because I won't be back soon!

Dude I do that and I live literally 15 minutes away. At least you have an excuse! Haha.

You should have more than one alternative, hammock, tent, tarp, with or without sleeping mat, or even simply sleeping in the bush (very doable and fun in the right setting, which would be mainly european) and decide which to use according to climate and ground morphology, length of trip and of course carry weight. I went for a short hunting trip lately and it was my first excursion where I could drive a car to the camping site (4x4). I brought a largish tent (snugpak scorpion 3) a double inflatable camping mattress 5mm thick, a pillow! a sleeping bag AND a wool blanket and if could think of anything else i'd bring that too. My point is, make your self as comfortable as you can, it's that simple really, an equation between carry weight and walking distance in reverse analogy to sleep quality. This is a problem you can solve with two ways a)money and b)training. So you either pay for really technical sleeping gear, which is very good, super light, and small in volume or condition your self to feel more comfortable sleeping in a pit in the ground next to a fallen tree trunk.

When buying gear, always consider the location in which you want to use it, see your self using it in that location (and carrying it all the way there) and you may find beforehand that you should have brought a hammock instead.

You should have more than one alternative, hammock, tent, tarp, with or without sleeping mat, or even simply sleeping in the bush (very doable and fun in the right setting, which would be mainly european) and decide which to use according to climate and ground morphology, length of trip and of course carry weight. I went for a short hunting trip lately and it was my first excursion where I could drive a car to the camping site (4x4). I brought a largish tent (snugpak scorpion 3) a double inflatable camping mattress 5mm thick, a pillow! a sleeping bag AND a wool blanket and if could think of anything else i'd bring that too. My point is, make your self as comfortable as you can, it's that simple really, an equation between carry weight and walking distance in reverse analogy to sleep quality. This is a problem you can solve with two ways a)money and b)training. So you either pay for really technical sleeping gear, which is very good, super light, and small in volume or condition your self to feel more comfortable sleeping in a pit in the ground next to a fallen tree trunk.

When buying gear, always consider the location in which you want to use it, see your self using it in that location (and carrying it all the way there) and you may find beforehand that you should have brought a hammock instead.

Very good points. If we didn't hike to the campsite we'd probably be too hot haha. I'm not opposed to a hammock, but my girlfriend isn't too fond of the idea. I'm not terribly concerned about my weight, more size so I can fit other gear in my pack. Mainly I'm looking for a system for her. A middle ground so to speak. Something lighter and smaller than she has now, but she is looking to condition to some weight so it doesn't have to be crazy light.

Going to revive this thread to ask for suggestions from the hammock guys. As I mentioned previously, I picked up a Hennessy hammock (Scout model, I'm a small guy). Have already tried it out once and loved it. The overnight temperatures the two nights we were out were between 50-55 degrees (and a thunderstorm one night). With just 30 degree rated sleeping bags, we were fine.

Here's the question. The first week of May we are hiking a section of the AT - Fontana Dam to NOC. It's a ways out but overnight lows are expected to be around 45. I'd rather not carry my REI Trekker pad - at 2 pounds it adds significant weight - and have been fishing around for something else. Hennessy has a reflective pad for your hammock that is supposed to be good down to 40 degrees. It's also $30. Would something similar work for the temperatures we expect to have? FWIW, I tend to sleep warm.

Top Bottom