What's new

Campers and backpackers, what is your sleep system?

My primary 3 season sleep system:

1. Woobie or Snugpak Jungle Blanket
2. Wool blanket
3. Small Tarp (Can be used as shelter or ground cover)
4. Snugpak Jungle Hammock with mosquito net (optional)

I do a lot of backpacking here in AZ....

I did see mention of a quilt which is what I and my wife use custom made to order in colors and sizes.
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/ ( I have no affiliation to this company just a happy customer)

Tim is the owner and a good guy plus these are made in Minnesota by people that live in the USA if that's important to you.. Plus they use the stuff them selves and are very easy to ask questions and help you with getting what you need.

I hate the confinement of mummy bags plus these are versatile if your warm open it up if your cold seal it up....

We both use a sleeping system of sleeping pads neo air and then take light weight silk thermals along with our 20 degree quilts.
with my quilt and pad my weight is 42oz could be less like my wife has with a smaller quilt and shorter sleeping pad....but I m a pretty big guy...

That give us the flexibility to adjust our sleep clothing by layering to match the temperatures as it not always easy to predict the temperature in the mountains at night ... I have been warm easily down to the mid teens with this set up...

Prices are pretty good comparable to higher end sleeping bags...

Just a thought I had never given them much thought till we started trying to cut weight on our backpacking trips...

Last edited:
A big part of being comfortable is prepping the ground. Digging out a shallow trench or even a bit of indentation, and backfilling that with some pine broughs or something soft before laying your mat down over that will give you more insulation on the bottom and more confort as well.

I have a bad back and find that I just can't sleep on the ground. I started using hammocks and I am hooked. I was given a tarp and I bought a Warbonnet Blackbird, which is a good hammock. You have to insulate yourself because it gets a little cool hanging in the air even on warm nights, but the quality of sleep is far better than the hard ground. Plus with netting and a tarp, you have your own little domain. I also have some climbing gear with me so if no trees are available, I can always use some rock faces to hang on.

I'm seriously considering picking up a Hennessy hammock. Even though I have an REI Trekker pad, after trying out a friend's hammock I was hooked. I'll modify the suspension system with a carabiner and daisy chain straps, probably the Atlas ones from ENO.

Last edited:
I have rigged a poncho liner (Wubbie) as an underquilt for my hammocks with pretty good success. It keeps me warmer in the Autumn and Spring. Then I throw in the space blanket for winter with my old faithful Wiggy bag. I tend to be a big promoter of DIY gear. I've made plenty of my own gear, but lack the skills on a thread injection device (sewing machine) to tackle a big project like an entire hammock system. Unless it's just a straight seam. Then I can.

I ended up purchasing Hennessy Scout Zip hammocks for me and the LOML. We will try them out in a couple of weeks when we backpack in west Florida. Oh, and Hennessy has several hammocks and other items on sale.

If I have the choice I will go with this $image.jpg
if I dont I have a Vietnam style hammock with the mosquito net that works brilliantly

Wow, a lot more of you camp than I thought, haha. I love reading about all the gear though. She'll just have to come along with me and help me figure out what she likes and thinks she'll be comfortable with. We do plan on staying in a cabin on occasion, but for the most part, we like being under the stars. Keep the gear lists coming. Ill update everybody when we get our sleeping systems squared away.

I have an old hammock that I've used for about 15 years. Packs way smaller and lighter than a tent, has a mosquito net, and with a blue tarp over it on rainy nights starts drier too!

I think it was myer brand one?

For camping/backpacking I'm a ground dweller but I'll use a combination of sleep arrangements depending on the overall temperature I expect to encounter. If the temps are rarely going to drop into the 50's at night, I'll use and cheap, synthetic sleeping bag (very lightweight) that has a 30 degree rating, combined with a self inflating pad with an R rating of about 3. Works just fine. If the temps are going to dip below freezing, I'll use my Kelty Light Year down bag with a rating down to 20 degrees (I've used it to 21 degrees) and an Exped Synmat 7 that has a rating down to 1 degree. If backpacking I'll use an ultralight Jacks R Better quilt because it stuffs real small and is rated down to below 30. Due to weight being a factor, the cheap old blue foam pad gets the duty but it seems to insulate me from the cold ground just fine.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Was out tent camping this past weekend. It went down to 23 degrees both nights. I use a 20 degree synth mummy bag on a thermorest neoair. The second night I put a wool army blanket over the neoair to add a layer of insulation. I wear thermals, fresh socks and a knit hat to sleep. I use a Marmot 2 man tent. I also threw 4 hand warmers in my bag, and they kept going all night. It was a little colder than I prefer, but i did okay.

In in the summer I use a 35 degree backpacker sleeping bag that compresses down to the size of a nalgene. That bag is super warm for its size.

In the event you go with a hammock, I suggest you take a **** bottle with you when you rack out in cool weather. Getting out of the hammock will take long enough to chill you thoroughly. The extra warmth from the bottle can help keep your feet warm. Just be sure to Tighten it carefully, and NEVER confuse it with a water bottle!:lol:

In the event you go with a hammock, I suggest you take a **** bottle with you when you rack out in cool weather. Getting out of the hammock will take long enough to chill you thoroughly. The extra warmth from the bottle can help keep your feet warm. Just be sure to Tighten it carefully, and NEVER confuse it with a water bottle!:lol:

Oh I believe it. I learned the hard way having a full bladder makes you colder during that trip to Lost Maples. On the first night when we didn't bring our bags, I seriously thought about just making a tinkle out of tent in the vestibule area while lying down. :lol: My girlfriend had to go though so I went in the chemical toilet after she did.

Yeah. I'm just a Luddite. I prefer interaction with knowledgeable salespeople.
My REI is a couple hours away. Just far enough so that when I go, I suddenly feel the need to spend hundreds more on gear that I want just because I won't be back soon!

My REI is a couple hours away. Just far enough so that when I go, I suddenly feel the need to spend hundreds more on gear that I want just because I won't be back soon!

Haha! Someone on a Road Cycling Facebook group I follow posted a meme that said, "Went to the bike shop for a patch kit, left with 2 bikes, a multi-tool, four water bottles, and socks."

Top Bottom