What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Razor handle question ...

I have a BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe XXL with flared end -- four inches in length. Does anyone know the weight of that?

I'm looking at a Tradere stainless handle for my DE89 head because I think the NEW LC will go on the BRW when it is replated. I'm wondering if the weight is close to the same. I don't have a scale. The tradere is listed as 2.5 ounces, 71.5 grams.

I am also wondering if getting a Parker 91R or 98R would be just as nice. They have long, heavy handles and the complete razor is $25-28. Thoughts?

Thanks!

My brother has bough Parkers just for handles...shoot him a PM...I'm sure he has the weights....

The weber comes in at 68 grams
The iKon at 60 grams

You may want to consider SABI also...one of my brothers Sabi handles weighs around 100 grams....but that's the huge one...they are brass construction with a nice chrome plating.

When UFO22 handles become available his handles range in weight from 71 grams up....and they are stunning.

Say hello to my new friend big boy :)

$$(KGrHqVHJBcE+O!zo+jzBPzkGMDSUg~~60_3.jpg$$(KGrHqFHJC8E-msrnIZ4BPzkGM(4rw~~60_3.jpg$$(KGrHqJ,!hQE+CLWkE7HBPzkF100ww~~60_3.jpg

I can only speak of the ikon....but I find the ikon to be near perfect on my R41's,( yes all of them) the Fatip and even matted uo to the NEW....it doesn't fit perfectly on the NEW as the baseplate would need some grinding for that be be perfect...but it does work.

The fit, finish and balance are great, as is the knurling....well worth the price of admission if you ask me.

Have I steered you wrong yet? Get the iKon! You know you want it....and the skull goes well with your Harley!!:lol:

I threw in for an Ikon handle as well. Bob's passing is a reminder that the custom products are not always going to be be available. It is a reminder from years ago when the maker of high quality unfinished humidors passed away and I had not scraped together the money to buy one.

I have one New LC head who's handle has a slightly larger diameter at the tip than my others. The gap in the ridge on this head clears the Weber and Tradere handle fine. Was there a model on the LC run that had a different dimension at the handle tip and baseplate?

proxy.php

Picked up this razor last week. Not certain if it is a real Gillette as it has no markings other than serial numbers and patent date. Looks to be 1909 or 1911 and may be a mongrel. It does have a sound handle though with no apparent cracks which was a nice bonus. Here's a link to more photos and blurb about the razor: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/295282-Acquisitions-JUNE-2012?p=4196925#post4196925

Both my son and I took it on a test drive. He said it was quite decent when used with care. I made the mistake of loading it with a new Feather blade and shaving with it just before we attended a banquet on Friday night. It wasn't bad if one watched blade angle and applied no pressure. I must have hurried things a bit as it bit me above the lip, requiring a lot of mopping with a Kleenex while traveling down the freeway toward the restaurant. The bleeding had pretty well stopped by the time we arrived. I was dismayed though to return home a couple hours later to find dried weepers on my right cheek. It is probably not wise to test drive new razors before going out.

It wasn't uncomfortable at all though. I do believe that with due care taken, this razor could yield a decent and smooth shave. It is probably a razor that requires a bit more time and thought to properly manipulate for a good shave. It seems to be worth the effort it may require. I'm looking forward to trying it again when I have a day off.

Any thoughts on this razor's provenance or suggestions about shaving with the type would be appreciated.

proxy.php

Those Single Rings are great shavers! Congrats.

Very nice Big Boy! Congrats.

....I have one New LC head who's handle has a slightly larger diameter at the tip than my others. The gap in the ridge on this head clears the Weber and Tradere handle fine. Was there a model on the LC run that had a different dimension at the handle tip and baseplate?
This is an excellent question, and I don't know the answer to it. Maybe one of our razor gurus will know?

I've been thinking about an oc. But since Ive never used one I wanted a bit of advice. I have a EJ DE89 that I love and think of as "mild". I have a Black Beauty and although I started it at 2 I now use it at 5. And I have a Futur which I regularly used at about 3.5. That latter is a pretty aggressive shave. Given that I use a Futur at a relatively aggressive setting and a SA at 5, and find the DE89 to be "mild" (although a wonderful shave), would I be likely to find a FATip or a 2011 Muhle acceptable? I thought I might try a 2010 Muhle, but they are impossible to find. Maybe I could just wait and see what they come out wiht for 2012?

I've been thinking about an oc. But since Ive never used one I wanted a bit of advice. I have a EJ DE89 that I love and think of as "mild". I have a Black Beauty and although I started it at 2 I now use it at 5. And I have a Futur which I regularly used at about 3.5. That latter is a pretty aggressive shave. Given that I use a Futur at a relatively aggressive setting and a SA at 5, and find the DE89 to be "mild" (although a wonderful shave), would I be likely to find a FATip or a 2011 Muhle acceptable? I thought I might try a 2010 Muhle, but they are impossible to find. Maybe I could just wait and see what they come out wiht for 2012?

If your searching for the 2010 Muhle R41, the Merkur 1904 oc, 11C, 12C, 15C, 25c all use the same head as the Muhle 2010 R41. The 1904 is a bargin, and is a three piece razor, so If you don't like the Hnadle, you can easily swap out.

The 2011 R41 is a different beast all together...but gives great shave. The fatip is growing on me as one of my favorite razors of all time. Must would say fairly aggressive, but I find the shaves smooth and comfortable.

$IMG_20120612_182111.jpg
My new finally showed up,... had the elgin blade in it,.. how old are these are they still around, curious as to when this was last used
its in super shape too needs a good cleaning

ummm how did we decide it was safe to clean a gold plate of this age because i see no plate loss even on head and dont want to take any off during a clean ??
guess its time to let the trials begin lol

I've got most of the same razors. I run the Black Beauty set at 7 and the Futur on 3. I'm waiting for my Fatip to be delivered so I'll let you know. By the way, I just keep the EJ89 around because it's so pretty. After the others it just seems to mild.

My new finally showed up,...its in super shape too needs a good cleaning. ummm how did we decide it was safe to clean a gold plate of this age because i see no plate loss even on head and dont want to take any off during a clean ??
Hello! Just completed a similar project on a New LC with eroded gold plate. See http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...he-Open-Comb?p=4166413&highlight=#post4166413 The detailed steps I took, and pictures of the results- are in the post.
The consensus in BOTOC was-- No Brasso; No Maas or other polish. Also don't forget the Barbicide!! I broke down and used some Maas. It was pretty shiny when I finished, since then it has tarnished somewhat (a darkening, much like a silver spoon darkens with time).
It's a beautiful razor and shaves well. I'm considering a nickel replate to freshen it up, the gold is almost gone anyway.

Cheers!

So how aggresive is the big boy compared to all other razors , and how much would this razor be worth if it was produced today?

As Ken mentioned you can get the Merkur open-combs or amazon still carries the Muhle 2010 model; here: http://www.amazon.com/Muhle-Double-Safety-Chrome-Plated/dp/B0047A8RPE
i would suggest you use a Gillette Old Type as you wanted a comparable shave to the Futur set at 3.5 and i think the Old Types are, in my opinion, one of the best open-comb razors. The Merkurs and the Muhle 2010 are too mild, in my opinion, but if you want a milder shave from an open-comb, then go with the 1904, but it is a very small handle. Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom